Creating a New QMS (Quality Management System) from Old

P

Pistonbroke

Hi,

I find myself in a situation where I am required to get involved with the creation of a new QMS from an old one.

The reason for this is that the company is splitting apart along the lines where the company is naturally split by being located on two sites, the second site (the new company) will continue to perform work for the original company, but under new ownership

The new company will have to carry on with all the activities the old one did but will need its own EN9100 approval and also a POA to deliver to the rememants of the company on a Form One.

The deadlines for carrying out the work and having the approvals in place for the new comapny are extrememly aggressive and the task looks huge (hundreds of procedures are shared between the sites)

Current thoughts are:
  • Process map to identify interactions (as future interactions will likely be through some formof customer/supplier interface rather than the direct A-B interactions in place at the moment) - with a view to rationalising these to reduce the backwards and forwards of information, data, paperwork etc....
  • Identify activities carried out at A site, but not at B site, vice versa, and activities carried out on both sites with a view to rationalising these to one site only where possible
  • Gap analysis to determine if any core ativities carried out are not sufficiently covered by existing procedural documentation
  • Blitz activity to create documentation for the new company and to update existing company documentation (removing no-longer-carried-out activities, identify methods of dealing with the new company etc).
  • Auditing prior to accreditation audits to validate that the processes actually flow and permit the right interaction between the two companies

I'd very much appreciate any comments or suggestions as to methodology to adopt, or the pitfalls I am likely to experience in splitting up the QMS to effectively create two......

Thanks in advance

Steve

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Steve:
I think you have a good grip on what needs to be done. I'd start with the Gap, since there may be some other aspects which need fixing - the processes that don't give good performance. The results give good input for the process mapping, since you've identified issues that need fixing, anyway..

Otherwise, go for it!

P

Pistonbroke

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the reply - Any thoughts on the Process Mapping method?

Should I start with the intended business scope and generate a rough flow, then try and see what procedural documents 'fit' into the holes, or is there another way of doing this.
With (as I said) hundreds of documents shared across the two sites, and only a few months until we are expected to submit the QMS for review by the CAA, generation of all-new procedural documentation based on mapping is pretty much out of the question

Steve:

Process mapping is best done as a team of people involved in the process including the 'suppliers' and 'customers'. Keep everyone focused on the actual (difficult) process and identify where issues have been experienced in the past, particularly customer related ones. The manager who owns the process will probably have a different view of the 'reality' and try to change things. Don't let them. Once mapped, then you can all see what needs fixiing. See where the existing documentation, forms, WI's etc fit the process and if they really add value, have all the information needed to do the job. Find place holders for them on the map.

Don't concern yourself over the map box shapes! Just capture everything in terms of verb-noun relationships. "Review order", "Pack product", etc.

You will likely end up with three piles of docs. those to keep, those to modify and keep, those to bin! If you can't find a place holder in the map, you probably don't need it!

Good luck!

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
P

Pistonbroke

Steve:
You will likely end up with three piles of docs. those to keep, those to modify and keep, those to bin! If you can't find a place holder in the map, you probably don't need it!
QUOTE]

Thanks again Andy, this gives me some much needed confidence that we are heading in the right direction.

I'm looking to segregate under the following headers:
Copy - Basically keep the document as it it with very minor changes (i.e. the New Company Format)
Split - Segregate the activities that are carried out on either site
Create - New documentation to cover new activities necessitated by the new organisation and new 'customer/supplier' interface
Offset - Shift responsibilities to existing areas more suited to do them in the smaller 'New Company'

Delete also sounds like a very useful pile to create..... :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Creating an Audit Schedule & Revamping QMS Internal Auditing 18
C Creating a Micro QMS - 4 geographical sites and 3 types of core activities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Need help with creating useful, interesting and good internal web site about QMS!!! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
L Hazardous Waste - Tips for creating standardized training Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
M Informational Creating a post market surveillance (PMS) system for medical devices – Part 1 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
J Sample size for creating a data base as a reference to a tested variable Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
8 Creating Flow and Pull Game Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
B Main responsibility for Control Plans - creating and maintaining FMEA and Control Plans 13
shimonv Creating a new commercial product based on a modification to an existing product Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
R Creating WIs for a Heavy Civil Engineering Services company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
M Creating a Plant Level Value Stream Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
T IMDS - Creating an MDS out of material and a made item? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
D How do I go about creating document logs and registers with the MS Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
W ISO9001:2015 - Clause 7.5.2 - Requirements for Creating & Updating Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Creating together Standard Definition for Prevention and Detection FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
Marc Creating an Internal Audit Program That Works for Your Organization Internal Auditing 0
M Creating change / Forcing change within a Company Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
A Creating a policy to evaluate the Third Party Security IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
S Creating goals and objectives with targets and measurables for self-evaluations Management Review Meetings and related Processes 2
L Creating a xlsx Customer Complaint file to track Complaints Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
S When creating a 510k, which Guidance Document Wins? Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
P GS1 NHRN AIs - Creating Barcodes for Human Product Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
O Creating a Tool to Track & Verify Mistake Proofing Devices Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
B Any suggestion on creating the best paper plane that can hit a target perfectly? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
P Creating a PPAP document for my Suppliers APQP and PPAP 1
L Any recommendations on software for creating hierarchical workflows ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
AnaMariaVR2 Creating Global Giants from a Culture of Israeli Start-Ups Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
R Creating a c-chart spreadsheet to use in my department Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
R Inspection Database Picker - Creating an Inspection Report Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P Problem with creating VSM current map Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
G Creating an Organization Chart - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
L Creating DHF (Design History File) for Medical Device Systems Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
Q Recommendations for criteria on creating a CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
C Creating a Multiple Table SQL (Structured Query Language) Query in Minitab Using Minitab Software 10
C Resources for creating Process Validation Procedures Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
B Creating an Audit Mechanism (System/Plan) General Auditing Discussions 3
A Customer Profiles - Creating a Customer 'Profile' for our Top 10 Customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Creating an Index for our Documents - Imaging Millions of Paper Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
N ISO 9001 based Audit Schedules: Creating and Maintaining - Template wanted General Auditing Discussions 5
P Creating a Traceability Database with Microsoft Access Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
V Creating a Cosmetic Inspection Specification for Powder Coated Painted Finished Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
I Difficulty in creating a Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
L How can you capture many positions held without creating a lengthy resume Career and Occupation Discussions 4
Miner Intro to MSA of Continuous Data - Part 10: Creating gauge families Imported Legacy Blogs 10
E Manufacturing Planning - Creating Improvements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
R Creating Quality System and using it before it is complete ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
G Creating a "Records Policy" - Control of Quality Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 13
S Sources for Tips, Quotes with Graphics to be used for Creating Awareness? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
R The difference between Deviation and Failure - Creating an SOP to handle them Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 24
A Creating a Control Plan from scratch FMEA and Control Plans 3