Creating a Traceability Database with Microsoft Access

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
This is probably the wrong forum, but there doesn't appear to be one directly related to my query. However this forum comes up frequently when searching for posts relating to MS access

I am trying to create a traceability database. I am having trouble with one specific area...

There are two tables, one which lists each device, this then has a sub table which lists all of the movements a device has made, they are related by the serial number.

The one end user has to move around multiple devices and so I have a form which allows direct entry into the movement table with a dataset view. The user first selects the batch from a dropdown menu created from the link back to the parent table, then enters the new location.

This all works fine but it has occured to me that at the moment the database is small; there are only a few items in use and therefore it is quick and easy to locate the item being moved in the dropdown. When the number of devices gets larger this will be more problematic.

My solution is that there is a flag in the parent table which identifies the devices as sold (for the intent of this post), therefore never going to be moved again and so can be removed from the dropdown list.

I can obviously create a query to list the unsold devices but I can't then use the query to feed into the form.

can anyone offer a solution?

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

jgmanza

Hello, I noticed that you have said to be working on a Traceability Database in Access. Did it work out? I work in a SME Food Processing Plant and I wanted to have to Create a Traceability Database from Receiving ingredients to Finished Product. However I only know to use system tools. Do you think it is possible to do it?

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
Hi jgmanza,

Yes my database did work out in the end - although I still have to find the time to validate it.

I can't see why you wouldn't be able to create a traceability database for your products. Your first step will be to identify all of the information you will need recording; the number of tables that would be best to represent that data and then the links between the tables to link it all together.

J

jgmanza

Ok, I have some hope now. I will try because I have to begin with 1. Receiving Materials (Fresh, Ingredients, and Packaging) and when I click the Lot number of the product at end, I would hope to be able to query all the ingredients used and the supplier for each ingredient. Yes ur right. I have to follow those steps. Oh man...I'll see what happens.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Hazardous Waste - Tips for creating standardized training Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
M Informational Creating a post market surveillance (PMS) system for medical devices – Part 1 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
J Sample size for creating a data base as a reference to a tested variable Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
8 Creating Flow and Pull Game Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
B Main responsibility for Control Plans - creating and maintaining FMEA and Control Plans 13
shimonv Creating a new commercial product based on a modification to an existing product Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
R Creating WIs for a Heavy Civil Engineering Services company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
M Creating a Plant Level Value Stream Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
T IMDS - Creating an MDS out of material and a made item? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
D How do I go about creating document logs and registers with the MS Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
W ISO9001:2015 - Clause 7.5.2 - Requirements for Creating & Updating Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Creating together Standard Definition for Prevention and Detection FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
Marc Creating an Internal Audit Program That Works for Your Organization Internal Auditing 0
M Creating change / Forcing change within a Company Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
A Creating a policy to evaluate the Third Party Security IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
S Creating goals and objectives with targets and measurables for self-evaluations Management Review Meetings and related Processes 2
L Creating a xlsx Customer Complaint file to track Complaints Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
S When creating a 510k, which Guidance Document Wins? Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
P GS1 NHRN AIs - Creating Barcodes for Human Product Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
O Creating a Tool to Track & Verify Mistake Proofing Devices Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
B Any suggestion on creating the best paper plane that can hit a target perfectly? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
P Creating a PPAP document for my Suppliers APQP and PPAP 1
L Any recommendations on software for creating hierarchical workflows ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
AnaMariaVR2 Creating Global Giants from a Culture of Israeli Start-Ups Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
R Creating a c-chart spreadsheet to use in my department Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
R Inspection Database Picker - Creating an Inspection Report Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P Problem with creating VSM current map Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
G Creating an Organization Chart - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
L Creating DHF (Design History File) for Medical Device Systems Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
Q Recommendations for criteria on creating a CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
C Creating a Multiple Table SQL (Structured Query Language) Query in Minitab Using Minitab Software 10
C Resources for creating Process Validation Procedures Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
B Creating an Audit Mechanism (System/Plan) General Auditing Discussions 3
A Customer Profiles - Creating a Customer 'Profile' for our Top 10 Customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Creating an Index for our Documents - Imaging Millions of Paper Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
N ISO 9001 based Audit Schedules: Creating and Maintaining - Template wanted General Auditing Discussions 5
V Creating a Cosmetic Inspection Specification for Powder Coated Painted Finished Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
I Difficulty in creating a Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
J Creating an Audit Schedule & Revamping QMS Internal Auditing 18
L How can you capture many positions held without creating a lengthy resume Career and Occupation Discussions 4
Miner Intro to MSA of Continuous Data - Part 10: Creating gauge families Imported Legacy Blogs 10
E Manufacturing Planning - Creating Improvements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
R Creating Quality System and using it before it is complete ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
G Creating a "Records Policy" - Control of Quality Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 13
C Creating a Micro QMS - 4 geographical sites and 3 types of core activities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Sources for Tips, Quotes with Graphics to be used for Creating Awareness? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
R The difference between Deviation and Failure - Creating an SOP to handle them Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 24
A Creating a Control Plan from scratch FMEA and Control Plans 3
M Problem creating a Macro in Minitab Using Minitab Software 4
I Six sigma project in a BPO - Calculating DPO and Creating SIPOC Six Sigma 3