Creepage - Does a surface mount isolator body negate a PCB slot?

Nick_EMC

Starting to get Involved
Hi,
I am trying to replace a bulky potted isolator with a surface mount digital isolator. For a standard FR4 PCB we have been working to a creepage of 16mm.
There is a high creepage isolator from TI with a 14.5mm creepage distance and a body CTI of >600.
This part should be very suitable for the stress so I am hoping to use it with a PCB slot to achieve the 16mm. However the body of the isolator may sit just 0.1mm above the PCB, so it effectively bridges the PCB slot (<1mm distance).
I was wondering if there was a way around this? A wide slot would be bridged by the high CTI isolator body, maybe this can be taken into account?
Hoping someone has some experience with this.
Nick

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
If your starting point is 14.5mm -
a 2mm wide slot would count as would the 1.6mm (x2) thickness of the PCB.

That would give a total of 19.7mm.

Nick_EMC

Starting to get Involved
Hi,
What I mean is the creapage distance is along the top of the PCB, as is is surface mount, then the gap to the body of the isolator can be as low as 0.1mm, so this will be ignored. So the component body will bridge the PCB gap. There is no easy way to stand a surface mount part away from the PCB to eliminate this.
I was hoping that the component body, being of a higher tracking index could be taken into account in determining the requirement.
Thanks
Nick

Hi Nick,
OK - I see what you are saying.
One 'trick' I have seen using high speed digital isolators is to use 2, one after the other. Each provides 1 MOPP, so the Cr and Cl requirements are halved.

Nick_EMC

Starting to get Involved
Unfortunately for this you need a power supply in the centre.
It may be that the creepage can be looked at again and does not need to be quite so large.

Peter Selvey

Leader
Super Moderator
16mm seems very large, what is the Vp, Vrms used as the working voltage? Also it 2MOOP or 2MOPP?

You might be able to justify a lower limit by referencing IEC 60664-1 which is the "bible" for creepage/clearance. Sometimes the values in IEC 60601-1 start to get away from the fundamentals especially for unusual voltages.

Nick_EMC

Starting to get Involved
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your interest. I agree with you about 16mm being very large - it seems to be a historical thing and very conservative.
It is actually a 1 MOPP barrier between an intermediate and a patient (applied part). There is another MOPP in the power supply. The intermediate is approx. 180V DC and the applied part 340V RMS. Looking at previous test house reports this is assessed at more like 6mm.
I have just decided that 8mm is a more realistic figure for this barrier, and it gives a much easier design and saves a lot of space.

I think the high figure came from taking the mains input to patient output voltages and adding these together, disregarding the fact that the output was floating, and applying 2 x MOPP to this figure, and dividing the resultant creepage between the barriers, giving most of the creepage to the intermediate/patient one.
To me it seems more sensible to consider the barriers separately.
Best regards

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Creepage and Clearance 8.9.1.3 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Interpolation of creepage distance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
H Secondary Circuits, Voltage Test and Clearance/Creepage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
B IEC 60601 - Creepage Distance - Relay that acts as a means of physical mechanical protection Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 0
S Some confusion about the creepage and clearance distance? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
N Question on creepage/clearance requirements for HF Active Accessories for 2nd edition 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
T Clearance and Creepage according to Subclause 8.9.1 for MOPP IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
S Creepage distance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
N Electrosurgical generator with switchable sockets - creepage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
R Components in parallel to creepage\clearance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
H Defib Protected Applied Parts: 4mm clearance/creepage? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15
E Creepage distance accross insulation of step up transformer EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A IEC 60601 Creepage and Clearance Requirements on PCB IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
F IEC 61010 Creepage and Clearence Requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A Secondary Circuits, Voltage Test and Clearance/Creepage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
F MOP (Means Of Protection) - Creepage and Clearance questions IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 19
R Creepage and air clearance under vacuum conditions IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
N PCB Creepage and Air Clearance on 8 Layer Boards IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Creepage and Clearance for high voltage low energy circuits IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
G Creepage and Clearance Distance for MOOP on Secondary Circuit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
C Creepage and Clearance for CR2032 powered fob for a Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
Steve McQuality Creepage Distance - Definition and Interpretation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
T IEC 60601-1 Conformal Coating not an acceptable mitigation for creepage and clearance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
G Does anyone know about tobacco-free nicotine pouches? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
cgaro62 Does FDA apply to a non-medical 13485 certified custom manufacturing company? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
R Does anyone use iQMS for their ISO based document control? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
V How many hrs does it take to create a Technical File (TD)? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M How does FDA determine OAI and VAI after inspection? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
G Does TPI agencies comes under outsourced process as per Q1 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 11
N FPY requested for an industry that does not have rework IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
William55401 21 CFR 11 Password Aging - What does "periodically" revised mean in your org? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
I CQI-15 Welding System Assessment 2nd edition - Does not require Ultrasonic Welding anymore? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
Ajit Basrur Does "Refurbishment" fall under "Service"? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
T Does marketing company require CE mark if manufacturer has CE mark on product? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Watchcat REGULATORY WATCHCAT De Novo Post-Mortem 6 – How Does This Even Happen? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
T What does VW mean by annual requalification? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
I Does BSI require suppliers to be ISO 9001 Certified? EU Medical Device Regulations 12
Watchcat Does Regulatory Affairs put the "no" in innovation? Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
Q Does anyone know what this call out means? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K COPLANARITY: Composite profile tolerance on multiple surfaces- what does" lower dimensional reference frame tolerance" control? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
H Does anyone has feedback on a notified body for small companies? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Does 4.5 - Alternative RISK CONTROL apply to the Particular Standards? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
E Does IVD need to integrate with hospital IT infrastructure? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
D What does a level 1 (PSW) PPAP actually promise? APQP and PPAP 19
R GS1 DataMatrix code does not meet GS1 Specification EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Does the scope of ISO 9001:2015 applies to tenders, pricing and sales department of a medical devices distributor? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Why does load cell supplier requires force verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Does C=0 strictly mean 1 bad, all bad, all the time? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Does a medical device active (zinc oxide) needs BPR registration in EU? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6