Criteria for Auditor Selection and upgrading their auditing skills

M

mjflkitty

Hi everyone?

I would like to ask:
1. How do you( in your company) enhance/upgrade/develop the auditors auditing skills?

2. How do you select auditors? What selection criteria do you follow? e.g. Does he have to be at 1 year in the company?

Thank you

Hello Kitty,

I'll move this thread to the Auditing including ISO 19011 forum, where I think you'll get more answers. Ok?
mjflkitty said:
1. How do you( in your company) enhance/upgrade/develop the auditors auditing skills?
I suggest a look here:

How Much Time Do You Spend Training A New Internal Auditor?
Internal Audit Success and Failure Factors Discussion

mjflkitty said:
2. How do you select auditors? What selection criteria do you follow? e.g. Does he have to be at 1 year in the company?
Try these threads:

HOW do you find your internal auditors?
WHERE do you find your internal auditors?

/Claes

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Choosing Auditors

I think auditors need both soft and hard skill sets to be successful.

For hard skills -- you need someone with a technical mindset, someone willing to read the standards and understand how the company fits into the big picture. This person also needs to know how to write detailed reports, and do it on time. I do think you also want someone who has some experience working at that company, or at another company for a couple of years. Even though "newbies" have a lot of enery and interest, they don't have the knowledge of how depts work together, IMHO.

For soft skills -- you need someone who is inquisitive; someone who knows how to be an active listener; someone who is tenacious, and keeps looking for the right evidence to answer the audit question; someone who can handle conflict and keep his cool in a stressful situation; someone who is flexible, yet will stay the course of the audit; someone who is a good time maanger.

And if you find all that, convince him to be an auditor! We used to like to have an annual lunch and recognition for the service our auditors gave. It was fun.

T

Teresa1000

qualitygoddess said:
We used to like to have an annual lunch and recognition for the service our auditors gave. It was fun.

Quality Goddess,

Did you single out any auditors or hand out awards?

Randy

Super Moderator
mjflkitty said:
Hi everyone?

I would like to ask:

Thank you

How about actually performing audits? A surgeon does not get more skilled by sitting in classes and talking about it. Skills can only be developed through actual performance.

Conduct audits, evaluate them, identify any weakness, take corrective action and do another audit. Repeat the process.

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Doing the Work

Teresa1000 said:
Quality Goddess,

Did you single out any auditors or hand out awards?

I tried to provide the same public recognition for all the auditors. Since we were not paying them any more money, that was not a motivator. Treating them all the same in public was the important motivator. Everyone at the company was aware that the auditors were performing an important process for the quality system.

If I had a particular issue with an auditor, I would bring that up privately, and we would address it together. For example, if I had 10 auditors, and 2 never got their audit reports on time, I would have the lunch and publicly thank all the auditors for their hard work and dedication to the effort. In private, I would pull aside the 2 late auditors and work out how they would no longer be late. I wouldl also typically talk to each person's direct supervisor, and get that person's help, too.

In practical use, the other auditors knew about the 2 "late report" auditors, and these people could sometimes help the late ones get the work done on time.

--

R

Ralph Kolts

Auditor Selection Criteria

In response to Kitty's second questions, we recently filled an auditor position, and in so doing developed the following selection criteria (by the way, this was a senior position):

Job Summary:
·Conduct quality assurance audits that evaluate systems, processes, and practices.
·Conduct quality assurance audits of key suppliers to ensure contract compliance and product integrity.
·Prepare long-range audit schedules based on risk assessment and contract requirements.
·Prepare detailed plans and checklists that facilitate audit project management.
·Ensure audit objectives are fulfilled, and prepare reports that summarize the results and conclusions.
·Identify audit findings, assign corrective actions, and perform follow-up to ensure problem resolution.

Screening Criteria:
·6-8 years related work experience. Familiar with programs, quality requirements, systems, and manufacturing/inspection/testing processes.
·Knowledgeable of quality system standards including ISO: 9001, AS9100, NSTS5300.4(1D-2), Mil-Q-9858, and others.
·Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint. Familiar with company management /IS systems and queries.

Selection Criteria:
·Excellent communication skills particularly report writing, interviewing, listening, and ability to make formal presentations to senior management.
·Ability to plan and execute audit projects in accordance with established schedules and objectives.
·Analytic skills to assess risk, define problems, identify impact and develop realistic recommendations for resolution. Clear thinking.
·Possess customer relations skills including professionalism, tactfulness, credibility, and confidentiality.
·Strong interpersonal skills. Exhibits sensitivity to others views and demonstrates situational assertiveness.
·Leadership skills are required. Able to lead a project team, or work in and contribute in a team environment.
·Demonstrates high ethical and professional standards of conduct.
·Able to work independently, setting an aggressive pace without the need for frequent check points. Interested in varied, non-routine work assignments.

Hope you might find some of this informative or useable.

Top Bottom