CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) in TS 16949 Audits - Always required?

Peters

Quite Involved in Discussions
During the TS audit in one automotive firm we had difficult discussion with the person responsible for the quality system:

His answer for nonconformities based on CSR:

In the case of customers with whom we have contract, eg. Eaton, Delphi, TRW, Bosch - if the contract recall formally Supplier Quality Manual or Customer Specific Requirements we will implement this. If such agreement does not exist in contract - we have no reason to implement this Manual or CSR. The fact that the customer have manual for suppliers - it’s not a reason for implementation. What matters is what is in the contract, not the manuals, which are at the customer on the website "

What do you think about such line of defense...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
During the TS audit in one automotive firm we had difficult discussion with the person responsible for the quality system:

In the case of customers with whom we have contract, eg. Eaton, Delphi, TRW, Bosch - if the contract recall formally Supplier Quality Manual or Customer Specific Requirements we will implement this. If such agreement does not exist in contract - we have no reason to implement this Manual or CSR. The fact that the customer have manual for suppliers - it’s not a reason for implementation. What matters is what is in the contract, not the manuals, which are at the customer on the website "

Given only the information that's available, I think he's technically correct. There are no "requirements" that exist outside of contractual obligations and agreements in this regard. I think it's a good idea to not allow customers, especially automotive customers, to impose requirements that haven't been subjected to negotiation. Whether the auditee is correct in stating that he has no reason to "implement" CSRs is another question.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Customer Specific Requirements only apply from the initial contact (quotations and P.O. review & approval) until the end of the contractual obligation (invoicing and obtaining customer feedback). After this, they may still be called your customer, but unless you actually produce and ship parts to them, their CSR's do not apply.

When I play auditor, I only look at CSR's associated with current customers and their contracts.

To make life easier for all involved with CSR's, see linked post. I developed a CSR matrix. It is an older version, but you get an idea how to address CSR's

Stijloor.

Last edited:

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Customer specific requirements shall be agreed, confirmed and signed off. If they are not communicated and agreed in formal way, they do not exist.
Take into account that CSR can vary from supplier and supplier. For instance, if you want the product to be shipped in yellow box, this is a requirment of mine.Other customers may want other colours and you as supplier has a cost for this to be agreed in a formal way. Just for this exist FMEA and Control plan.
A question for you , just to frame the issue: are you conducting a supplier audit, Registrar audit, internal audit?
:bigwave:

Last edited:

Peters

Jim Wynne, Stijloor, qusys

In theory - formally, he could be right, taking into account the legal issues. However, in many companies, it appears, it is not entirely clear what is established in the contract because the sales department is in another location and the production plant has not received any information about customer requirements. Another problem - one day I read in the company (tier I) contract with General Motors (along with the general terms and conditions) and I read there is not any reference to GM Customer Specifics. It is difficult to imagine that the GM Supplier Quality Dpt did not require GM Customer Specifics from suppliers.
Many companies don't want to know the customer requirements because it's easier. They think CSRs are only problems and cost for them.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

In theory - formally, he could be right, taking into account the legal issues. However, in many companies, it appears, it is not entirely clear what is established in the contract because the sales department is in another location and the production plant has not received any information about customer requirements. Another problem - one day I read in the company (tier I) contract with General Motors (along with the general terms and conditions) and I read there is not any reference to GM Customer Specifics. It is difficult to imagine that the GM Supplier Quality Dpt did not require GM Customer Specifics from suppliers.
Many companies don't want to know the customer requirements because it's easier. They think CSRs are only problems and cost for them.
If you're auditing CSRs, you must start with a relevant purchase order (the contract). As an auditor you shouldn't be making assumptions about what a given customer might or might not be expecting.

Peters

If you're auditing CSRs, you must start with a relevant purchase order (the contract). As an auditor you shouldn't be making assumptions about what a given customer might or might not be expecting.
But keep in mind that the determination of customer requirements is the responsibility of audited firm, not the auditor. Company should present agreements to the auditor.

qusys

This can carry to a non conformity based upon this evidences.
Besides, it seems to be not clear the relation with remote functions, this is another way to investigate.
In case of a registrar audit, this could carry to a major ncn

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
This can carry to a non conformity based upon this evidences.
What evidence?
Besides, it seems to be not clear the relation with remote functions, this is another way to investigate.
If there is a disconnect between the mother ship and its satellites there could indeed be issues, but none that necessarily affect the validity (or lack thereof) of CSRs. The OP stated pretty unequivocally that there are no contractual obligations in the matters at hand.
In case of a registrar audit, this could carry to a major ncn
How so?

qusys

What evidence?

If there is a disconnect between the mother ship and its satellites there could indeed be issues, but none that necessarily affect the validity (or lack thereof) of CSRs. The OP stated pretty unequivocally that there are no contractual obligations in the matters at hand.

How so?
I was referring to the other poster of Peters

However I do not know if it is a real fact evidenced during an audit.
No info of which kind of audit is this .:bigwave:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C A couple CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) questions... Esp. Ford & Toyota Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
Sean Kelley Are there Mitsubishi CSR's (Customer Specific Requirements)? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
P Nissan CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) as of 2014 - ANPQP Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
Stijloor Ford - June 2013 Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
Sean Kelley Do CSR's (Customer Specific Requirements) apply from the customer of your customer? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
P Revised Fiat CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
T CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) Audit Check List Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
M CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) linkage to IQA process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
P New Fiat CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) - 26 October 2010 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 14
P New GM CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) - October 2010 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
G CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) for Volvo Customer and Company Specific Requirements 10
xfngrs TS 16949 CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) in Quality Manual? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
P New Chrysler CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) - June 2010 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
P Delphi CSR 03.2010 (Customer Specific Requirements) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
Sidney Vianna Ford has issued new CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) - Posted 09/16/2009 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
K New 8D format for TS16949 CSR (Customer Specific Requirements)? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
P Volvo Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
P BMW Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) - 2008 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 12
Keith Childers New Delphi CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
P New Ford and GM CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
E Distributing CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) to Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
P Problems with TS 16949 CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) Auditing General Auditing Discussions 3
Sidney Vianna New Ford CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) available from the IAOB website Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
Douglas E. Purdy Delphi CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) and LPA Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 10
QMMike What to do when Customer Specific Requirements (CSR's) are Inaccurate Customer and Company Specific Requirements 9
Douglas E. Purdy Delphi CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) and LPAs (Layered Process Audit) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P FIAT CSR (customer specific requirements) Required Manuals - Information wanted Customer and Company Specific Requirements 14
P Auditing CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) during TS 16949 Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
Sidney Vianna New GM CSR (customer specific requirements) document IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Keith Childers What are Caterpillar CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 17
W Where to locate the Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) statement in the QSM IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
C Delphi Customer Specific Requirement (CSR) - Delphi releases their updated version Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
Howard Atkins Where to Find Visteon Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) on the Internet Customer and Company Specific Requirements 8
L Visteon CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) AIAG MMOG Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
Q Poll: Does TS 16969 have more CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) than QS-9000? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
A Internal audits on CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) - Look at Ford's Behemoth Internal Auditing 1
N TS16949:2002 CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) Questions Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
H SPC for special characteristics - CSR - Control of SC and CC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
B Internal and external auditor competency to CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
M EU – Chemical Safety Report – CSR – REACH Authorisation decisions – Triton X-100 – Ortho-clinical-Use1 REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Interesting article form the UNIDO Magazine - CSR: a wolf in sheep’s clothing? Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 16
B IATF 16949 Cl. 4.3.2 - CSR vs Commercial Agreements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
E CSR SHIPPING - Need suggestions for making SOP/WI for our shipping dept (automotive)... Customer and Company Specific Requirements 11
H IATF 16949 Clause 9.2.2.2 Audit System / CSR IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R Communication of CSR's throughout the organization and who they apply to IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C IATF 16949:2016 New CSR (CQI´s) - Share your experience IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R IATF requirement of Documented QMM incorporation of CSR's into the processes? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Second Party Audit - GM IATF 16949 CSR September 2017 General Auditing Discussions 0
A CSR - How do you share them within your organization? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Ford Motor Company new CSR document - May 2014 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1