Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

CSR SHIPPING - Need suggestions for making SOP/WI for our shipping dept (automotive)...

ezekieltemple

Starting to get Involved
We are getting written up for various shipping/labeling failures. We just lost the lead shipper (who was OK, but not great in appeasing the big automotive suppliers). Now that he is gone, we are getting more complaints and fines.

Our Quality Manager has decided the Quality Department needs to make SOP/WI to help reduce the rate of reprimands / "nonconforming shipments" (note: the parts are not nonconforming. The packing, labeling, packaging, protocol - emails/notes etc. are nonconforming...

Any help you can offer:
1) developing SOP/WI (formats, templates, resources that summarize automotive shipping requirements)?
2) other suggestions to generally improve our shipping system?

Thanks in advance...

try2makeit

Quite Involved in Discussions
We are getting written up for various shipping/labeling failures. We just lost the lead shipper (who was OK, but not great in appeasing the big automotive suppliers). Now that he is gone, we are getting more complaints and fines.

Our Quality Manager has decided the Quality Department needs to make SOP/WI to help reduce the rate of reprimands / "nonconforming shipments" (note: the parts are not nonconforming. The packing, labeling, packaging, protocol - emails/notes etc. are nonconforming...

Any help you can offer:
1) developing SOP/WI (formats, templates, resources that summarize automotive shipping requirements)?

Thanks in advance...
First look at your Automotive customer shipping requirements. Do they supply containers for different parts? What is used where.
If you are establishing a shipping quantity per box/container, size of container during the PPAP phase and the Customer approved of it, that information should be available in the WI.

Any Customer specific labeling requirement and information should be addressed during the APQP/PPAP process. Any changes/deviation to the established process has to be approved by the Customer. A example of the label should be send with the PPAP so the customer can approve it.

If any of the required information doesn't get to your shipping department then you have a issue further up the chain.

It is up to your Customer service/Quality manager to make sure that the shipping department has all the information they need to do their job correctly and that the shipping process is followed as outlined in your own procedure. Perhaps the shipping personal needs to be trained again. But before I go and request a bunch of paperwork, I'd start at with the information, procedure, instruction you do have and build on that.

Good luck.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted
Pictures, pictures, pictures...pack it right, take thorough pictures of "this is right" and include them in both WI and reference cards (controlled).

Seeing "right" is 1000x better than describing right...

Good general suggestions thus far. ...but without knowing specifics of the non-conformities, it's difficult to weigh in.
For example, you say you are experiencing non-conformities with packaging & labeling. Is it sloppy packaging/labeling (in which case Ninja's suggestion of pictures, or maybe revised training would be appropriate)? Or is it the wrong packaging & labels altogether (in which case maybe its just any issue with stocking & inventory)? ...or perhaps something else altogether?

Your corrective action process should help. Has this been initiated? If so, what did the investigation turn up? Are there specific root-causes to address?

CCaantley

Involved In Discussions

Any help you can offer:

Thanks in advance...
I talked in another post about rewriting our shipping manual last year. We got hit for 10,000 wrong parts shipped out. It wasn't automotive, but still not good. I took a template my company was using for the shipping manual, removed some unnecessary information and came up with this (See Attached)

As far as the work instructions, the shipping clerk is instructed to look at work orders that are printed out, look in the manual for the appropriate sheet, and when parts are sent back to shipping, make sure the information and picture matches. I chose to use portions of the prints whenever possible. Most of the pictures weren't turning out well.

Attachments

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted
Nice job CCantley,

That should work pretty well for packing (time will tell)...

shipping (especially automotive) should also include pics of the overpack boxes as well...rules about where labels should be, what info is on the label, color coding and bar coding, etc...how many boxes per skid...lots of additional requirements in my experience.

ezekieltemple

Starting to get Involved
Good general suggestions thus far. ...but without knowing specifics of the non-conformities, it's difficult to weigh in.
For example, you say you are experiencing non-conformities with packaging & labeling. Is it sloppy packaging/labeling (in which case Ninja's suggestion of pictures, or maybe revised training would be appropriate)? Or is it the wrong packaging & labels altogether (in which case maybe its just any issue with stocking & inventory)? ...or perhaps something else altogether?

Your corrective action process should help. Has this been initiated? If so, what did the investigation turn up? Are there specific root-causes to address?
Yes, all good suggestions...
The Quality Manager was suggested to make SOPs by the GM... The QM also did not perform Corrective Action / Root Cause analysis... Our management has what I term "shooting from the hip" meaning they do not take the time to look closely, aim/target and use their "rifle's" sites/scope to hit the problem directly and "kill" the problem...

From my few months at this company it looks like the answer is "ALL OF THE ABOVE" from Mark Meer's questioning about the root cause...

BTW - after I typed this the Quality Manager said to tell the Lab Tech "not to start the SOP project for shipping" since she was apparently stepping on toes in the shipping department. (The shipping department consists of 3 workers - one was hired a month ago, one was hired just a couple days ago and the third is simply the laborer.)

Our factory experiences fairly high turnover for employees... And we are lacking in good training / WIs etc... Ccasntley's Excel was nice to see. As well as Ninja's suggestion of "pictures, pictures, pictures...".

Thanks to all for the time and consideration.

Our Quality Manager has decided the Quality Department needs to make SOP/WI to help
My first thought was "huh?" I'd be all over them like a rash for NOT using the RCA process and, instead, diving in with someone NOT involved in the process to write a WI! He should be looking to freshen up his resume...

Top Bottom