Current Inspection Standard for AS9100 Certified Job Shop

S

sideoiler

We just completed our re-certification audit with our registrar and the auditor pointed out some concerns on approved standards we utilize in our QMS. I was able to show verification for all but one, and being that I jumped into the Quality Manger position after our previous manager left abruptly, I am having a hard time confirming this last standard that is part of our QMS.
The standard in question is our inspection system standard (MIL-I-45208A). I can not locate any documentation on the standard in our network / company records, so naturally I can not verify that we are utilizing the standard to it's intent. My other concern is the fact that this standard was created in the 60's, that there is something more current that we should be following instead?
I tired of getting nailed in our audits for procedures and standards we say are implemented and used, based off the previous Quality Managers direction because more times than not I am unable to locate the supporting evidence that we are in conformance to these docs / standards.
Can someone please shed some light on this and let me know if we are okay using the MIL-I-45208A standard, or if I should consider using a standard that is more current and suggested in today's AS industry...
It seems every time I turn over a rock left by the former QA rep, I open a can of worms, and its driving me crazy...:bonk:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
The source I have indicates that MIL-I-45208 was considered a step below ISO 9001 and AS9100. Lockheed used it as a base for their SIP-016 standard.

A company called atpqc is advertising 'kits' for this, but the standard itself should be freely available.

Everyspec.com lists the data as well. Current status is 'cancelled' , looks like around 1996. It is freely downloadable there.

I think your auditor was smoking some bad stuff. MIL-I-45208 was, like others, kinda like the great grand daddy of ISO 9001, 9002, 9003 in 1987. So, today's ISO 9001 and hence AS 9100. To raise this as an issue means they are grasping at straws for something to do, basically.

What ever led them to stumble on this, the references need removing!

S

sideoiler

I think your auditor was smoking some bad stuff. MIL-I-45208 was, like others, kinda like the great grand daddy of ISO 9001, 9002, 9003 in 1987. So, today's ISO 9001 and hence AS 9100. To raise this as an issue means they are grasping at straws for something to do, basically.

What ever led them to stumble on this, the references need removing!
AndyN, are you saying that due to the fact that we are AS9100 certified, that we shouldnt avertise our inspection standard as MIL-I-45208?

S

sideoiler

Well, MIL-I-45208 is not an inspection standard, it was a quality assurance requirement, which was very similar in content to ISO 9002. I Googled it and just found this article: http://www.qualitydigest.com/dec/zuckerma.html

It's almost irrelevant today and honestly, if you advertize it, some might wonder why since it's so old...
Got it, thank you for the insight and the link, putting this into a better perspective.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Can someone please shed some light on this and let me know if we are okay using the MIL-I-45208A standard, or if I should consider using a standard that is more current and suggested in today's AS industry..
Please keep in mind that the Mil standard might be a legacy contractual requirement from a (very old, but possibly current) military contract. To this date, there are suppliers in the US defense supply chain that have contracts dating back to the 60's. Typically, whomever is managing the contract, e.g., the DCMA, would be inclined to formally approve a more current QMS standard (such as ISO 9001, AS9100, etc.) as the basis for the supplier/QMS, but, you should formally have the contract updated and approved by the customer; otherwise you could be in breach of a contractual arrangement.

Apparently the DCMA became recently interested in the AS9003A standard to "replace" Mil-I-45208A, but they are still studying it, as a possible alternative.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M R&R on Eddy Current Inspection? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
C Current Receiving Inspection activities - Reviewing, revising and improving Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Receiving Inspection Techniques - What can we do to improve our current system? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M Issues with leakage current testing for a CLASS II device since no PE and FE is present IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
W FMEA - Current control and occurrence rating FMEA and Control Plans 3
W Regarding Requirement for Hi pot & Leakage Current test Station Set-up IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
S Forced ServiceNow validation - No change in our current user and functional requirements IT (Information Technology) Service Management 4
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
A Earth leakage current test for Permanently installed Large scale MEE IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1
T Iec 60601 Impedance and current-carrying capability IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M Informational TGA – Current status of breast implant products in Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Proficiency Testing for ISO 17025: AC Current Ranges ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Touch current in single fault conditions test and earth leakage current in normal conditions test, are they really different tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
T Tests IEC 60601-1 - Grounding Resistance, Leakage Current and Dielectric Rigidity in an automated way IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S Calibration - Isolated current meter - Measuring patient auxiliary leakage current Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
Q Raising A CAPA on Current CAPA system US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A SPC for Eddy Current Testing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 28
A Adding Remote Site to Current IATF 16949 Certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Leakage Current test and Dielectric strength for Battery operated ECG device? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
M Leakage current measurement with non-frequency-weighted device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A QMS - Medical Device - New company under a current one ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E IEC 60335-1 leakage current measurement Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
K Questions on Technical File to show it is current EU Medical Device Regulations 5
H IS there any database for list of CE marked Medical devices and there current status EU Medical Device Regulations 8
B Mains fuses and OVER-CURRENT RELEASES IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
P Adding an additional distributor to a current Mexico Medical Device Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M IEC 60601-1 and Active Current Protection Requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
M Testing a Low Current (Battery) DC Medical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
D Referencing Standards in Procedures - Current version or actual? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
I Curious if a List of Current Standards Revisions Exsists Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
C Touch Current for Exposed Charging Contacts on Bodyworn Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Current version of EN62304/A1 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
A Power Traceability certificate for values for voltage, current and phase General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Q What constitutes current technical data? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
M Current standard references IEC 60601:1988 instead of current version EU Medical Device Regulations 5
K What are the current ISO/ TS 16949 Semiconductor Manufacturer Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
G How to cover another manufacturing "site" or warehouse into current ISO 13485 cert ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
P Document references need to be updated to correspond to the current year? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P Humidity Pre-Conditioning before leakage current and dielectric strength tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
Gman2 The current state of our Calibration System General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 28
R Is EN/IEC 60417 still current? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
R New Draft Guidance Document for FDA's current thinking on De Novo submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
W How can I test the Patient Leakage Current of an Infusion Pump? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
J Looking for feedback from current/former Intelex users Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
A Using your current QMS to plan for ISO 9001 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
A Accuracy Calculation of Leakage Current for an Electrical Safety Analyzer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E How do I stay current on Regulatory Affairs? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
J Exceeding the DC Leakage Current Limit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
Q Seeking Examples of current ISO/TS 16949 Training Procedures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2