Custom made class 1 Medical devices

Hi fellow forum users,

Finding it difficult to determine our exact obligations under the MDR as manufacturers of custom-made class I (rule1)medical devices (orthotic insoles & AFO's). Any advice would be appreciated! Am aware that Art 52 and Annex XIII set out the requirements for CMD manufacturers. Have carried out a lot of research, some of which is conflicting and confusing... Have lots of questions but do not want to bombard!

Having reviewed both the MDCG2021-3 (Q&A on CMD’s) and the MDCG2019-15 (Class I devices); is it the case that one of these can one of these 'trump' over the other? We satisfy the definition for custom-made as defined per Article 2 (3).

In terms of a QMS, all device manufacturers must have a QMS per Article 10 and per section 9 this QMS can be proportionate to the risk class and type of device. Taking into consideration that many other companies in the industry are using 9001, assume we can follow the similar pattern, and include justification in our documentation for not using the recognized harmonized standard of 13485. Anyone else have experience of this?

Appreciate feedback.
Regards,
Mary.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
I presume you're aware that 9001 and 13485 diverged a bit back when the 'high level standard' (I think that's the name) came out? 9001 followed it but 13485 did not. So that alone is going to make it a harder row to hoe. As you indicated 13485 is harmonized so complying with it gives you a presumption of conformity for complying with the applicable regulations. If you don't have your QMS certified by an accredited certification body then you are also getting into a potentially difficult situation.

With a Class I device (self-declared CE?) I'm not sure how much evaluation you might get but I would not want to risk it. Getting from 9001 to 13485 compliance isn't that big a leap. Of course, getting it certified is costly and takes time.

I presume you're aware that 9001 and 13485 diverged a bit back when the 'high level standard' (I think that's the name) came out? 9001 followed it but 13485 did not. So that alone is going to make it a harder row to hoe. As you indicated 13485 is harmonized so complying with it gives you a presumption of conformity for complying with the applicable regulations. If you don't have your QMS certified by an accredited certification body then you are also getting into a potentially difficult situation.

With a Class I device (self-declared CE?) I'm not sure how much evaluation you might get but I would not want to risk it. Getting from 9001 to 13485 compliance isn't that big a leap. Of course, getting it certified is costly and takes time.
Thanks Yodon,

Starting from scratch here so lots to consider.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Custom-made implants (Class IIb) and pre-commercialization clinical trials in Spain EU Medical Device Regulations 4
E Configurable/Custom made or accessories? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Usability for custom made medical devices IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 5
J Iterative design and production for custom made products ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Validity / outcomes measure for custom made medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Custom made medical devices - Wheelchairs EU Medical Device Regulations 6
T Custom made medical device MDD vs MDR definition CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
C If it's not a custom-made medical device... What is it? Clinician requests EU Medical Device Regulations 11
K DoC (Declaration of Conformity) for Custom Made Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F Registration Process Guidance for Custom-Made Medical Devices in South/Latin America Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
W Process Validation Training - Custom made Medical Device Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
M Custom-Made Medical Device Regulations and Registration in Argentina Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
L Validation and documentation activities required for a custom-made software Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
J Tailor-made or Custom Made Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
cgaro62 Does FDA apply to a non-medical 13485 certified custom manufacturing company? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
G Developing our custom test methods and test equipment US Medical Device Regulations 5
C Custom Injection Molding - Multiple Cavities and Subgrouping Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
J Gauge Suggestion: Specialty or Custom General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Registration requirements for custom branded device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
I Custom software services to be used by medical software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Informational ANVISA regulation for personalized/custom medical devices – RESOLUÇÃO – RDC Nº 305, DE 24 DE SETEMBRO DE 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Custom Medical Device For Clinical Study Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
B Sterilization of a custom medical device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
D Medical device development - Custom test equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
G Reporting measurement uncertainty for custom items Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
R Custom Records and Quality Systems - Products that change frequently Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
T Requirements and standards for medical custom Electrical Connectors EU Medical Device Regulations 2
W Product or Service? Custom Engineered Capital Equipment Manufacturer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Medical device procedure tray - Adding products in Custom packs Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
J ISO 9001:2015 - Clause 8.3 - Design in the Custom Manufacturing industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B IEC 60825-1 Class 3R Laser Off-The-Shelf or Custom Label Needed Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
pittmatj South Korea - Custom Medical Device Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
D CE Marking for Custom Ordered Products Outside of the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Process Control in High Volume Custom Electrical Enclosures Environment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V EO Sterilization of Drugs in Custom Convenience Kits Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 6
P Calibration of Custom Molds General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 26
N Best Custom Software (To Track QMS & Processes) Provider Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 9
Fender1 Controlling Documents and Records in a Custom Weld/Fabrication Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
C Custom Device Regulations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Enclosure Flammability Rating of Molded-In Custom Color Liquid Concentrates IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J 3 Level Custom DOE in Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
J Custom Tools as SOUP? (Software of Unknown Provenance) IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
Q Using a Custom Process FMEA (PFMEA) Form FMEA and Control Plans 4
K Does ISO 22000 make sense for a Custom Injection Molder? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 7
S Design Review: Can I exclude Custom Products ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
QMMike Surveys - Customer, Supplier, Custom... ect.... Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
R Custom DOE (Design of Experiments) Analysis in JMP Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
DanteCaspian Operator Break Coverage - Custom injection mould shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
DanteCaspian Dry Erase: Custom documents with laminate sheets Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
V Custom prototype checklist for Europe and FDA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1