Customer audit demands - that I state in my QM who can shut down production

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
I am not intimately familiar with Aerospace...just on the periphery (equivalent of Tier3)
Even so, I can't believe that maintaining a list of people who can yell "Stop!" is required.

Why not simply state that any member of management may halt production for due cause, safety, environmental or quality reasons...and be done with it?

Just thinking out loud...seems like a silly way to handle a silly demand. Funny (sad) how often that happens.

dubrizo

Involved In Discussions
I'm not current with the latest rev. of AS9100, but I've not seen a requirement like this outside of customer imposition. If you're looking to add this into your QMS I would caution against backing yourself into a corner by stating only X or Y or Z can stop the line.
For instance, if you run multiple shifts and don't always have a titled manager around for those 2nd or 3rd shifts, you wouldn't want to state that only management has the ability to stop the line. It depends on your business and how you want to integrate a newly imposed requirement like this to work for your needs.
I only offer that input since the OP stated they want to add this in, otherwise I'm on board with dsanabria.

outdoorsNW

Involved In Discussions
Stating who may shut down production is not an AS9100 requirement.

This practice may be more common in medical companies, but it has been a while since I have worked in medical. However, nothing in the standard prohibits you from adding this to your QMS.

To me, the only time this makes sense is if you have had a problem in the past or if you want to make clear that lower level people, or non mangers, or whatever, at least in certain departments, have the ability to stop production.

Big Jim

Trusted Information Resource
Interestingly enough in some Japanese management systems anyone can stop production if a quality issue is discovered. I can't see why a customer would want to impose something like that on you.

Candi1024

Quite Involved in Discussions
Interestingly enough in some Japanese management systems anyone can stop production if a quality issue is discovered. I can't see why a customer would want to impose something like that on you.
This. It is called an Andon cord and anyone can and should pull it to stop production if they see a quality issue. I don't know where this is stated in the standard that it needs to be explicitly stated in your documents. But if I had to put it in, I would absolutely say everyone not only has the right, but also has the responsibility, to stop production for any quality (or safety) issue.

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
If it is a customer audit, then the customer needs to point you to their requirement for this. I have seen a few cases similar to this, where out TM did not really read the fine print, and there were "requirements" hidden in the contract or Purchase Order (usually tacked on to the purchase order so you didn't see them during the quoting stage). Review the documentation with your customer to find any requirement for this.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 1
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
N Customer asking if their notified body can audit us ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Customer Audit Finding ISO13485:2016 7.6 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J Customer VDA Audit - We must provide refresher training? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
Genofear Customer wants to audit our supplier audits - seems inappropriate General Auditing Discussions 11
Q Customer Requirements - AS9120B Audit Finding AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 24
D Customer Audit - Root Cause Help - ISO 9001:2008 Cl. 7.5.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A ISO/TS 16949 - Sharing Certification Audit Report (NCR's) with the Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
T "Customer Specific" Internal Audit suggestions needed Internal Auditing 12
C Customer Satisfaction Process - Audit "Suggestion for Improvement" General Auditing Discussions 14
R What objective evidence can/can't be supplied during a customer audit? General Auditing Discussions 3
G Customer Requests On-site Audit Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
T ISO 9001 Audit by Customer Customer and Company Specific Requirements 14
K Customer Audit - Just a positive rant really General Auditing Discussions 2
T CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) Audit Check List Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
A Audit NC - Not identifying our Customer Specific Requirements - TS16949 (7.3.6.3) General Auditing Discussions 7
U Customer Audit Nonconformity on Internal Audit Program done by Corporate QA General Auditing Discussions 19
A Excel Spreadsheet Validation - Customer Audit Finding Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
C Charging a customer who wants to audit our QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
S Internal Audit - No Proof of Acceptance of Customer New Payment Terms Internal Auditing 10
J Audit Programme - Include CB Audits, Customer Audits, Supplier Audits? General Auditing Discussions 18
A Need to Audit an External Calibration Laboratory? - Customer Audit Finding Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
K Audit NC - No evidence of a full 5 Why Analysis for the Customer Complaint Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
A Best Way to Audit Customer Feedbacks Customer Complaints 3
T Would one deny a Request for a Customer Audit ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 21
S Customer Audit needs to see External Supplier Management Procedure Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
J AS9100 Rev C Internal Audit Procedure/Plan - Addressing 8.2.2 - Customer Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
M Customer Audit and Access Policies Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
S Customer Requesting 3rd Party Audit Report (AIB) - Help! Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17
ScottK Using Customer Audits as part of the Internal Audit Plan for ISO9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
A Internal Audit-Customer Related Processes Internal Auditing 2
D Auditing Suppliers - Supplier audit by a customer who is also a competitor Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
O Internal Audit of Customer Specific Requirements Checklist - Where to start? Internal Auditing 9
N Customer Focus Process Audit Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 4
A Before the ISO-9001 certification audit can we submit the documents to our customer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Internal Audit to Focus on Customer Complaint Re-occurrences Internal Auditing 4
W Charging the Customer for a Supplier Audit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Giving copy of external audit report to customer General Auditing Discussions 20
F Customer Quality Audit Question - Giving the auditor a "guided" tour General Auditing Discussions 21
P Customer Complaint due to unanswered telephone during audit Internal Auditing 16
L IS/TS 16949 Initial Cert. Audit - placed on 3rd party containment with Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Customer Right to View Certification Body Audit Reports? General Auditing Discussions 11
R Customer Audit - C.A.S.E. Standard 1-A vs. AS9110 - Aircraft Assemblies Maintenance AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
N Registrar Expectations from Customer in Audit Scheduling Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
A Protocol for Customer Audit Response General Auditing Discussions 3
Q Automotive Customer Audit with 'Improvements' General Auditing Discussions 14
P Customer auditors audit w/o company quality representatives IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
J General Motors Global Customer Audit (GCA) - HELP Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
L It is fair and legal to let a customer to make an assessment audit based on other cus IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2