Customer Audit needs to see External Supplier Management Procedure

So here's the deal...

I have had a customer audit (TW Tier 1 ODM) and they are gating my approval as I am missing any documentation that they are happy with (although i am ISO 9001:2008 certified) in regards to management of second and tertiary vendors... I am a one man band Quality department that has a very lean system!!!!...

HELP (examples) needed if possible...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
So here's the deal...

I have had a customer audit (TW Tier 1 ODM) and they are gating my approval as I am missing any documentation that they are happy with (although i am ISO 9001:2008 certified) in regards to management of second and tertiary vendors... I am a one man band Quality department that has a very lean system!!!!...

Do not work only for having a piece of paper to make your customer happy.
Put a process in place , also supported by your customer, to find the best solution for this searching for its help. However, it seems strange
to me that you do not have any documentation for this. Purchasing should have , for example. We can also say that ISO 9001 does not ask to have this procedure. We could also demonstrate to have a process in place, also not documented, but that is effective, showing records and evidences of good practice, showing KPI for this process.Pls, give us more detail if this did not help:bigwave:

J

JaneB

So here's the deal...

Could you provide a bit more info, please? For example:
  • How do you manage your vendors/suppliers now? Are these measures proving satisfactory? (and what factual evidence do you have of this?)
  • Do you have written criteria for how you select & monitor them (per 9001)?
  • Do you have scheduled, regular reviews of them against said criteria, and documented results of these? When was the last one? When's the next one due?
  • Which suppliers are most important (or represent the highest risk)? Do you do anything else here to mitigate the risk?
  • Can you answer a question such as: Have you had any quality/supply problems over the last 3 months? 6 months? 9 months? Which supplier/vendor was involved? What did you do about it? Has it improved things? Are there records to show all this per your NC/corrective/PA action procedure(or whatever called)?

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi JaneB,
Your follow-up questions is an Opener in our part that I need to work on the following weeks ahead...
Thank you so much for those questions.:thanx:
Best regards,
Raffy :cool:

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
So here's the deal...

Hello Tony, Welcome to the Cove.
Consider the "Supply Chain Visibility" as a key word in your business process. Perhaps what your customer is looking to see is just this. None of us work in isolation and while your customer asks for this External Supplier Management Procedure , you have all rights to get same from your external suppliers, and keep it visible, be it quality issues, delivery issues, change management, price movements, agreements, forecasts, sustainability issues, ..... and many more.

J

JaneB

Consider the "Supply Chain Visibility" as a key word in your business process.
Sorry but the perfectionist (pedant?) in me cannot refrain from pointing out that 'supply chain visibility' is definintely not 'a word', in fact it's three words and should be referred to as a term or a phrase.

The practical side of me says it isn't fully clear from this sentence what you are actually advising someone to do.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Sorry but the perfectionist (pedant?) in me cannot refrain from pointing out that 'supply chain visibility' is definintely not 'a word', in fact it's three words and should be referred to as a term or a phrase.
English ... I am still learning it. :)
The practical side of me says it isn't fully clear from this sentence what you are actually advising someone to do.
in regards to management of second and tertiary vendors... When the OP says this, he is in a chain (supply chain) and the higher end of the chain (his customer) would like to know not only how good and strong the immediate link is, but also about his assessment and control of the links down the chain.
Supply chain visibility is just about all that can encompass into the External Supplier Management Procedure (Title of this thread)
My post just mentioned about some aspects that an organization can consider in the External Supplier Management Procedure, apart from just the outsourced process control.
I am a one man band Quality department that has a very lean system!!!!...
The OP says this and my response was some food for thought to see what his customer may be expecting.

Hello Tony, Welcome to the Cove.
Consider the "Supply Chain Visibility" as a key word in your business process. Perhaps what your customer is looking to see is just this. None of us work in isolation and while your customer asks for this External Supplier Management Procedure , you have all rights to get same from your external suppliers, and keep it visible, be it quality issues, delivery issues, change management, price movements, agreements, forecasts, sustainability issues, ..... and many more.
many thx Somashekar... this is more in line with what they are requiring...

I have a number of terms that they have been using recently (in their comms with me) which I have now included within my documentation, and lo and behold... everything is good. This is thh experience that I am building up with *Big* TW/CN ODM's, they have a list of English terminologies which they expect to see in documentation and without it will not 'pass you'.

So the issue here, in this 'global marketplace' is one of terminology... and the way I have gotten around this is mimicry, or in good old fashioned quality terminology...

Recognising Customer requirements and translating those requirements into the continual/continuous (the debate continues) improvement of the Quality Management System.. :)

Thanks to all that gave me some indicators into solving this...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
N Customer asking if their notified body can audit us ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Customer audit demands - that I state in my QM who can shut down production AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
D Customer Audit Finding ISO13485:2016 7.6 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J Customer VDA Audit - We must provide refresher training? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
Genofear Customer wants to audit our supplier audits - seems inappropriate General Auditing Discussions 11
Q Customer Requirements - AS9120B Audit Finding AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 24
D Customer Audit - Root Cause Help - ISO 9001:2008 Cl. 7.5.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A ISO/TS 16949 - Sharing Certification Audit Report (NCR's) with the Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
T "Customer Specific" Internal Audit suggestions needed Internal Auditing 12
C Customer Satisfaction Process - Audit "Suggestion for Improvement" General Auditing Discussions 14
R What objective evidence can/can't be supplied during a customer audit? General Auditing Discussions 3
G Customer Requests On-site Audit Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
T ISO 9001 Audit by Customer Customer and Company Specific Requirements 14
K Customer Audit - Just a positive rant really General Auditing Discussions 2
T CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) Audit Check List Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
A Audit NC - Not identifying our Customer Specific Requirements - TS16949 (7.3.6.3) General Auditing Discussions 7
U Customer Audit Nonconformity on Internal Audit Program done by Corporate QA General Auditing Discussions 19
A Excel Spreadsheet Validation - Customer Audit Finding Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
C Charging a customer who wants to audit our QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
S Internal Audit - No Proof of Acceptance of Customer New Payment Terms Internal Auditing 10
J Audit Programme - Include CB Audits, Customer Audits, Supplier Audits? General Auditing Discussions 18
A Need to Audit an External Calibration Laboratory? - Customer Audit Finding Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
K Audit NC - No evidence of a full 5 Why Analysis for the Customer Complaint Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
A Best Way to Audit Customer Feedbacks Customer Complaints 3
T Would one deny a Request for a Customer Audit ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 21
J AS9100 Rev C Internal Audit Procedure/Plan - Addressing 8.2.2 - Customer Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
M Customer Audit and Access Policies Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
S Customer Requesting 3rd Party Audit Report (AIB) - Help! Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17
ScottK Using Customer Audits as part of the Internal Audit Plan for ISO9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
A Internal Audit-Customer Related Processes Internal Auditing 2
D Auditing Suppliers - Supplier audit by a customer who is also a competitor Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
O Internal Audit of Customer Specific Requirements Checklist - Where to start? Internal Auditing 9
N Customer Focus Process Audit Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 4
A Before the ISO-9001 certification audit can we submit the documents to our customer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Internal Audit to Focus on Customer Complaint Re-occurrences Internal Auditing 4
W Charging the Customer for a Supplier Audit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Giving copy of external audit report to customer General Auditing Discussions 20
F Customer Quality Audit Question - Giving the auditor a "guided" tour General Auditing Discussions 21
P Customer Complaint due to unanswered telephone during audit Internal Auditing 16
L IS/TS 16949 Initial Cert. Audit - placed on 3rd party containment with Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Customer Right to View Certification Body Audit Reports? General Auditing Discussions 11
R Customer Audit - C.A.S.E. Standard 1-A vs. AS9110 - Aircraft Assemblies Maintenance AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
N Registrar Expectations from Customer in Audit Scheduling Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
A Protocol for Customer Audit Response General Auditing Discussions 3
Q Automotive Customer Audit with 'Improvements' General Auditing Discussions 14
P Customer auditors audit w/o company quality representatives IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
J General Motors Global Customer Audit (GCA) - HELP Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
L It is fair and legal to let a customer to make an assessment audit based on other cus IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Customer's Supplier Quality Manuals used by Auditor in a TS 16949 Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 54