SBS - The best value in QMS software

Customer Audit Nonconformity on Internal Audit Program done by Corporate QA

U

USMCbryan

Received the following finding during a customer audit, i.e.; "When verifyng compliance to sub clause 8.2.2 of the ISO 9001:2008 Standard - Internal Audit, it was found that the 2011 internal audit of the Quality Department was conducted by Quality personnel. Per sub clause 8.2.2 - The selection of auditors and conduct of audits shall ensure objectivity and impartiality of the audit process. Auditors sahll not audit their own work".

I agree with the auditors statement. However, my plant quality department was audited by corporate quality and hence I feel that we met the intent of the standard for objectivity and independence. Please advise.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Re: 2nd Party Audit of Internal Audit Program

Received the following finding during a customer audit, i.e.; "When verifyng compliance to sub clause 8.2.2 of the ISO 9001:2008 Standard - Internal Audit, it was found that the 2011 internal audit of the Quality Department was conducted by Quality personnel. Per sub clause 8.2.2 - The selection of auditors and conduct of audits shall ensure objectivity and impartiality of the audit process. Auditors sahll not audit their own work".

I agree with the auditors statement. However, my plant quality department was audited by corporate quality and hence I feel that we met the intent of the standard for objectivity and independence. Please advise.
Did you have a chance to express your perspective to the customer auditor? Second-party auditors are not bound to any specific protocols, but good auditing practices suggest the auditors should disclose the audit results and findings, including nonconformities, during something akin to a third-party exit meeting. Notwithstanding the fact that auditors and auditees might not always agree with the auditor's conclusions, both parties should have ample opportunity to present each other with their perspectives.

Now, back to your specific question, it seems to me that your arrangement has satisfied the independence aspect of the audit, but what about the corporate quality people that performed the audit? Are they competent as internal auditors? From a technicality stand, what you did was an outsourcing of a part of your internal audit process. Was that outsourced activity controlled?

And, by the way, welcome to The Cove.

Re: 2nd Party Audit of Internal Audit Program

Sounds like a fairly typical mis-interpretation of what is 'own work', to me. Unless the Quality person who actually touched the 'work', was the auditor, then there's no problem, IMHO.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Elsmar cove USMCbryan ~~~

Taking inputs from all the response so far., if you have to respond back to the customer, you can give them a clear explanation of your stand. Take the opportunity to explain about the auditor competency and audited work being NOT the work performed by the auditor. There is no situation for you to take up a corrective action as I gather.
Also note that the response must be able to get the customer confidence for your continued business.

Last edited:

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator

USMCbryan,

The customer's auditor may be incompetent or not. You have no control over this. Perhaps this so-called nonconformity was accepted because the auditor represented the customer. You may have no control over that.

Your corrective action process now kicks in.

On evaluating the report you may find that questions of adequate resourcing of the internal audit function did amount to corporate quality auditing their own work. And corrective action is required.

On evaluating the report you may find that questions regarding the effectiveness of plant quality processes did not amount to corporate quality auditing their own work. And corrective action is not required.

In other words you now have no option but for your corrective action process to finish the auditor's work. I am sure you will make sure it is done objectively, with evidence and grace.

:cool:

Best wishes,

John

E

Elavarasan.m

USMCbryan,
As you may be aware, processes flow horizontally cutting across the barriers of the functions and levels within the organization. If there is a process in which both your corporate QA and Plant Quality Department have tasks to be performed to accomplish a desired output / result, then I don't think "objectivity and impartiality of the audit process" could be ensured. There is a likelihood to get biased...in which case, IMHO, your customer auditor's finding may be valid
Elavarasan. M

USMCbryan,
As you may be aware, processes flow horizontally cutting across the barriers of the functions and levels within the organization. If there is a process in which both your corporate QA and Plant Quality Department have tasks to be performed to accomplish a desired output / result, then I don't think "objectivity and impartiality of the audit process" could be ensured. There is a likelihood to get biased...in which case, IMHO, your customer auditor's finding may be valid
Elavarasan. M
Impartiality and objectivity are two human traits - nothing to do with processes or flows! If it were, an objective and impartial audit could never be accomplished...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 3
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
N Customer asking if their notified body can audit us ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Customer audit demands - that I state in my QM who can shut down production AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
D Customer Audit Finding ISO13485:2016 7.6 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J Customer VDA Audit - We must provide refresher training? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
Genofear Customer wants to audit our supplier audits - seems inappropriate General Auditing Discussions 11
Q Customer Requirements - AS9120B Audit Finding AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
D Customer Audit - Root Cause Help - ISO 9001:2008 Cl. 7.5.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A ISO/TS 16949 - Sharing Certification Audit Report (NCR's) with the Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
T "Customer Specific" Internal Audit suggestions needed Internal Auditing 12
C Customer Satisfaction Process - Audit "Suggestion for Improvement" General Auditing Discussions 14
R What objective evidence can/can't be supplied during a customer audit? General Auditing Discussions 3
G Customer Requests On-site Audit Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
T ISO 9001 Audit by Customer Customer and Company Specific Requirements 14
K Customer Audit - Just a positive rant really General Auditing Discussions 2
T CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) Audit Check List Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
A Audit NC - Not identifying our Customer Specific Requirements - TS16949 (7.3.6.3) General Auditing Discussions 7
A Excel Spreadsheet Validation - Customer Audit Finding Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
C Charging a customer who wants to audit our QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
S Internal Audit - No Proof of Acceptance of Customer New Payment Terms Internal Auditing 10
J Audit Programme - Include CB Audits, Customer Audits, Supplier Audits? General Auditing Discussions 18
A Need to Audit an External Calibration Laboratory? - Customer Audit Finding Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
K Audit NC - No evidence of a full 5 Why Analysis for the Customer Complaint Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
A Best Way to Audit Customer Feedbacks Customer Complaints 3
T Would one deny a Request for a Customer Audit ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 21
S Customer Audit needs to see External Supplier Management Procedure Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
J AS9100 Rev C Internal Audit Procedure/Plan - Addressing 8.2.2 - Customer Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Customer Audit and Access Policies Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
S Customer Requesting 3rd Party Audit Report (AIB) - Help! Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17
ScottK Using Customer Audits as part of the Internal Audit Plan for ISO9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
A Internal Audit-Customer Related Processes Internal Auditing 2
D Auditing Suppliers - Supplier audit by a customer who is also a competitor Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
O Internal Audit of Customer Specific Requirements Checklist - Where to start? Internal Auditing 9
N Customer Focus Process Audit Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 4
A Before the ISO-9001 certification audit can we submit the documents to our customer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Internal Audit to Focus on Customer Complaint Re-occurrences Internal Auditing 4
W Charging the Customer for a Supplier Audit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Giving copy of external audit report to customer General Auditing Discussions 20
F Customer Quality Audit Question - Giving the auditor a "guided" tour General Auditing Discussions 21
P Customer Complaint due to unanswered telephone during audit Internal Auditing 16
L IS/TS 16949 Initial Cert. Audit - placed on 3rd party containment with Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Customer Right to View Certification Body Audit Reports? General Auditing Discussions 11
R Customer Audit - C.A.S.E. Standard 1-A vs. AS9110 - Aircraft Assemblies Maintenance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
N Registrar Expectations from Customer in Audit Scheduling Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
A Protocol for Customer Audit Response General Auditing Discussions 3
Q Automotive Customer Audit with 'Improvements' General Auditing Discussions 14
P Customer auditors audit w/o company quality representatives IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
J General Motors Global Customer Audit (GCA) - HELP Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
L It is fair and legal to let a customer to make an assessment audit based on other cus IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2