SBS - The best value in QMS software

Customer Complaint leading to Corrective Action vs. Change Request

H

Hrobot

Hi,

If a customer complaints about a non-conforming device, should I then assign a Corrective action to fix this problem or should I raise a change request? The device is a software and at the moment any problems detected by the customer, we will record in a customer feedback form, raise a CAPA, then raise a change note which I dont think should be the right process. When does an action on a device considered a change and when is it considered a corrective action? It seems that CAPA and change control runs parallel to each other, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for your feedback
hrobot

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Re: Customer complaint leading to Corrective action vs Change request

You can split hairs on this topic all day, but ultimately you should do what works and is effective.

The purpose of a formal corrective action is typically twofold. First to drive the actual corrective action to solve an issue. Second, it maintains a record of the issue and the actions taken to resolve it.

Many formal corrective action processes assume that the solution is not obvious and the corrective action process leads you through discovery of root cause, etc. When the solution is obvious and requires a formal change, the change process is a viable alternative.

IMO you can go either route as long as your procedure clearly provides for this option, and as long as your customers do not require the CAPA.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin

In this scenario, I would prefer to have a Corrective Action first and would link the Change Proposal as a Preventive Action.

Again, as referred by Miner, the choice is yours and what your SOPs say :)

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin

Welcome to The Cove! :bigwave:

The purpose of a corrective action is to correct the problem's cause so it will not repeat and cause a burden.

If a different item is made every single time, and a unique process is used for each, a change request seems okay.

However, if a repeated process produces an undesirable outcome, the process should be addressed. A change request to change a document can be a part of it. If there was rewritten code in software to solve the customer's specific problem, I'd call it rework.

The same thing works for a widget. I am making marionettes (puppets) for customers. Each one is uniquely featured, but in one of them the strings are too short on one side. The marionette is lopsided. The puppet is returned. I rework the puppet by fixing the strings. That is rework. But it is also sensible to address the question of why one had short strings on one side. That is the corrective action. Once done, even though my marionettes are still going to be turned out unique in some way, they will all still have the desired fit and function.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
M

Mark R.

This is going to depend on what your procedures require, but I would generate a corrective action to address the issue, and then a change order would be my action to prevent recurrence.

Hope this helps.

M

madannc

In this scenario, I would prefer to have a Corrective Action first and would link the Change Proposal as a Preventive Action.

Again, as referred by Miner, the choice is yours and what your SOPs say :)
MHO is rasie a CA, where it documents what's happened, a correction has been put in place (immediate fix), an investigation has identified route cause, and a CA (not PA, as this has occurred) has been put in place to prevent recurrence.

As mentioned the CA process is just that a process for addressing failings in products/systems. Part of the CA in all likely hood will involve Change Control.

You may want to perform an impact assessment as part of the CA as the feeder was a customer Complaint e.g.

Severity - What is the worst that will happen to users with this fault

Detectability - how easy to find this failing (bearing in mind it has already reched the customer you may well as part of your CA want to put something in place to detect this prior to release)

Occurrence - has this happened before (or similar) trending on previous complaints/CA's etc

This may well have been done by your complaints dept and could be included as part of your investigation.

:2cents:

H

Hrobot

Thank you all for the usefull suggestions. Part of the reason I was asking is to find a process which suits our small sized start up company. The same person who raises the customer feedback form will investigate it, raise a corrective action based on the investigation and raise a change order to correct the issue. It just seems to be too much processes when the problem have been identified right form the start when he investigates the complaint.

e.g A customer identifies that the image on the screen is not matching the real item it is tryong to visualize. so we need to fix the bug in the software.
This will need a change request.not a CA

e.g. A non conforming product requires a part replacement because the old part did not pass electrical safety testing. This will need a change request.not a CA

e.g. A supplier provides faulty components. Raise a non conformance. If this occurs again(there is a trend) raise a CA to evaluate supplier.

Our change control process would include review from various functions while the CAPA system only reports and assigns a task. Tha is why I am in favour of change over CAPA. But ISO 13485 seems to place CAPA process above others.

Thanks for your input. :)

M

madannc

It just seems to be too much processes when the problem have been identified right form the start when he investigates the complaint.

e.g A customer identifies that the image on the screen is not matching the real item it is tryong to visualize. so we need to fix the bug in the software.

e.g. A non conforming product requires a part replacement because the old part did not pass electrical safety testing. This will need a change request.not a CA

e.g. A supplier provides faulty components. Raise a non conformance. If this occurs again(there is a trend) raise a CA to evaluate supplier.

Our change control process would include review from various functions while the CAPA system only reports and assigns a task. Tha is why I am in favour of change over CAPA. But ISO 13485 seems to place CAPA process above others.

You are right the problem has been identified, however the CA would help provide the solution, the change only implements the solution.

I am curious, in the change request that you would use to implement the solution does it require a rational as to why the change is being implemented.... as an approver if I saw replace this code with that code or part failed safety testing I would also want to see if the problem had been investigated and why implementing the change will prevent recurrence, in the examples you quoted this would be part of the CA so I could see that this had happened, if you did not go through CA process where would the investigation (the foundation for the solution) be? do you do this as part of the ECR/ECO?

It is relatively easy to implement a correction (correct the issue) but without additional supporting work not easy to prevent it from happening again.

:)

G

Geoff Withnell

Thank you all for the usefull suggestions. Part of the reason I was asking is to find a process which suits our small sized start up company. The same person who raises the customer feedback form will investigate it, raise a corrective action based on the investigation and raise a change order to correct the issue. It just seems to be too much processes when the problem have been identified right form the start when he investigates the complaint.

I'm not sure I understand your statement "Our change control process would include review from various functions while the CAPA system only reports and assigns a task." Don't CAs get looked at by affected functions? If not, this may pose a problem. I have always believed there should be ONE and ONLY one way to change a process, a product, or a document, and that would be your change control system. The CAPA process documents WHY the change is being done (when a corrective/preventive action is the reason for change) but having more than one change process can cause problems later when memories fade as to why something was done. Or if crucial stakeholders aren't consulted, etc.

Geoff Withnell

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
A change request sounds like a document that communicates the need for a change. That is useful in tracking what changes have been asked for, but does nothing for corrective action except to help understand (if the change requests are saved) what kind of changes were needed, why, and how often. It might be nice to know how often software is made with certain kinds of problems. The more critical those problems are, or the more often they occur, the more you would need corrective action.

I would argue that a component that fails a safety test does require corrective action so as to prevent more safety test failures.

I would also raise a CA request to the supplier of faulty components the first time. Wouldn't you want to know the first time a bunch of shipped product was failing during its use?

A change control process is usually for controlling changes to a process or process document. That can happen with or without a corrective action attached to the effort. Change control is usually more of a routine than CAPA.

ISO places importance of CAPA over change control because CAPA is about problem solving and improvements to prevent errors and flawed product/service.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Reduce occurrence rating based on the PMS data and customer complaint data ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
J Customer Complaint & SCAR, false data Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
J Customer Complaint Response 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S How to treat a customer complaint ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
PhilM Nonconformance report, Customer complaint investigations and RMAs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
G Problem Resolution Report Monitoring - Customer complaint or PRR as general motors use Customer Complaints 12
R Does an RMA = a Customer Complaint Customer Complaints 4
G Customer complaint over a Reference Dimension Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
E Is there an Automotive Customer Complaint Index? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R In a software development company: Is every bug reported by the customer a complaint? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
E Corrective Action or Customer Complaint ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
T Decontamination responsibility on customer complaint investigation Customer Complaints 4
N Possibly worlds first customer service complaint Supply Chain Security Management Systems 0
A What is a Customer Complaint? (ISO 9001:2015) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Should Potential Customer Complaint Outcome Define Registrar NC Rating? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J FDA definition of a complaint - Customer orders spare parts 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
P Customer Complaint Definition - Food Distributor Customer Complaints 5
R Customer Complaint - Samples vs. Removal - FDA Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Moncia Customer Complaint Procedure example needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Medical Device Malfunction - Customer Complaint - Response vs. Correction Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
T PPAP - Complaint from a Tier One customer concerning Product Dimension IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
Q Customer Complaint Vs. Nonconformance - CAPA SYSTEM Customer Complaints 2
L Creating a xlsx Customer Complaint file to track Complaints Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
N Customer Complaint - Rapid Response Containment Procedure Customer Complaints 4
J Customer Complaint - PPAP - Issues not called out on the print APQP and PPAP 3
R Customer Complaint/Nonconforming Product Inquiry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Can anyone share a Customer Complaint procedure not requiring logging complaints ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Customer Complaint Preventive Action Assistance Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
Q When to issue a Customer Complaint related to efficacy of a Medical Device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Do I need to initiate a Customer Complaint for Engineering Samples? Customer Complaints 4
A Customer Complaint - Incident Reporting Hardcopy Signoff Customer Complaints 8
B Analysis & Closure of a Customer Complaint Customer Complaints 6
C Customer Feedback, Satisfaction, Complaint Procedure and Measurement Customer Complaints 8
N Closed Customer Complaint Response Form Examples? Customer Complaints 3
J Damaged Parts in Customer Returns - Complaint Investigation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
D Is an NCR required in this Customer Complaint scenario? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
B Categorization of Customer Complaint: Making Customers feel they are Top Priority Customer Complaints 4
B Understanding the attached sample Pareto Chart for Customer Complaint Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 20
J Should I file a Customer Complaint as a Nonconforming Material Report or a CAP? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
R Help defining Eyewear Customer Complaint Categories Customer Complaints 5
K Audit NC - No evidence of a full 5 Why Analysis for the Customer Complaint Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
somashekar What if a non EU customer makes a complaint to NB ? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Everest Customer Complaint System by Lynk Software US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
T Is a Nonconformance Report required for every Customer Complaint? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
J Who should accept the samples of Customer Complaint products ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Data Flow diagram for a Customer Complaint System - Help wanted Customer Complaints 6
B Small Company Customer Complaint System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
L Internal Audit to Focus on Customer Complaint Re-occurrences Internal Auditing 4
W Re-Evaluating Corrective Actions - Recurrence of a Customer Complaint Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
P Customer Complaint due to unanswered telephone during audit Internal Auditing 16