Customer Escape of a part having features reversed 180 degrees

T

turnit

We recently had an issue with a part having features reversed in position 180 degrees radially about a diameter. These features had no dimensional attributes relating to their radial position other than their appearance in the appropriate views on the drawing. my question is this. Looking for ideas how others deal with this in regards to final inspection or first article inspection as no dimensional attribute would find the error or show a discrepancy??

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: customer escape

Is there a way to put a temporary alignment marking (tape, washable ink) on the two parts during manufacturing so that it is obvious to the assembler what the orientation is, then the inspector could verify and remove the markings?

S

silentrunning

turnit,
I know what you mean on this. We manufacture a lot of custom brackets and some are ?right hand? while a mirror image is ?left hand?. Both prints read exactly the same with the dimensions, only the diagram or picture is different. This can be confusing to document. I have found that the only sure fire way to prevent a mix up is to have a 3D view attached to the inspection report. Then I put a notation like ?view approved? or something like that on the inspection report.

P

PaulJSmith

I think your efforts might be better spent by digging in and finding the root cause of the initial error, and then ensuring that it cannot happen in the first place, rather than trying to catch it with inspection. You do need the ability to find these things in inspections, but only as a safety net for your manufacturing processes.

Top Bottom