Customer found Nonconforming Product Metrics

J

jhinckley

I'm hoping this is the correct forum for my question. We're currently tracking the number of instances that nonconforming product gets to the customer. I'm trying to develop a meaningful metric to measure this. I'd appreciate any recommendations from the group.

K

kgott

Re: Nonconforming product metric

Perhaps you might like to consider counting the number of non good products that go to customer and or the reasons why they are not conforming. It should not take logn for a pattern to emerge. Perhaps you might consider how many different reasons there are for a particular cause in the pattern you have identified.

Do not accept that 'the staff concerned stuffed up' as valid reasons. The 80-20 rule applies here.

One thing to look out for is that there may not be a good basic process in place to begin with. Perhaps the origin of the problems lies in the paperwork, perhaps they lie in the lack of or incorrect training provided.

Be careful about people suggesting that 'other people' need training as sometimes, not often, training is used as a panacea when skill and knowledge is not the real cause. Look at the culture that exists in the workplace concerned as often this is where problems can have their genesis.

hope this helps

Bill McNeese

Involved In Discussions
Perhaps a little more information from you. How often does this happen? Is it often? Rare? What is the product or industry if you can tell us? Do you get this information from the customer?

The basic approach would be simply to track the number of nonconforming products that get to the customer, perhaps each month as already suggested along with a Pareto diagram on reasons for non-conformance, product type, etc.

Randy

Super Moderator
How about 1, 2, 3, another, another, so on and so forth? Why complicate it?

Objective <1. Simple

Top Bottom