Customer not willing to reveal the usage or function of the part to the supplier

A

Andrews

Fitness for use

Deming says "Quality is fitness for use " and not " meeting customer expectations".If a customer is not willing to share the usage / function of the part with the supplier ,then what should the supplier do?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
You do what you can - make the product/service meet the customers expectations and if you can exceed them, great. Even if you knew the application it is doubtful you would be able to tell as well as the customer can how "fit for use" your product is. Perhaps Deming's contest was from an internal perspective.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Martin,

That was sort of a curt answer, wasn't it? And I'd have to say I can recall some cases where that was not true.

M

M Greenaway

Andrews

Could you tell us where that quote came from ?

Mike

My response was based on the principal that we need to listen to the voice of the customer. He decides what is fit for his use. If we ignore this we may well find ourselves making product that to our minds is fit for use, yet we have no customers that want it.

'Fit for use' is a very subjective and whooly concept.

E

energy

Another one!

M Greenaway said:

Mike

My response was based on the principal that we need to listen to the voice of the customer. He decides what is fit for his use. If we ignore this we may well find ourselves making product that to our minds is fit for use, yet we have no customers that want it.

'Fit for use' is a very subjective and whooly concept.
When we do our "Contract Review" or "Product Realization", we determine and guarantee that our product is fit for use. No? The customer defines the crititeria and you meet the criteria and supply your product. No? Just think of it as fit for the Customer's use.
I agree, M. Who would make anything without customers? Am I missing something?
Does anyone think that the Customer has to tell you what he is going to use your product for? I guess you can always make that a pre-condition before the sale. You better have something good.
You won't be in business very long.
Most product warranty is voided if it is used in a manner not designed or intended for. No? What's this all about, Alfie? :bonk:
:ko: :smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

D.Scott

What's this all about, Alfie?
Not really sure Energy, but there are some great thoughts here.

I agree that fitness for use comes down to the customer but is the customer always fair in making the judgement or just waving the "customer is always right" flag?

With the latest trend to "Zero Defects", a lot of customers will intertwine the definition Zero Defects with Zero Nonconformance. There is an obvious distinction between the two and Martin and Mike have hit on it. Every nonconcormance does not in itself create a defect.

I would like to hear from others on how you plan to address the "Zero Defects" mandate and are your customers allowing the distinction between defects and a nonconformance.

Great topic - hope it goes somewhere.

Dave

E

energy

Still miss your special "Day" reports

D.Scott said:

With the latest trend to "Zero Defects", a lot of customers will intertwine the definition Zero Defects with Zero Nonconformance. There is an obvious distinction between the two and Martin and Mike have hit on it. Every nonconcormance does not in itself create a defect.

I would like to hear from others on how you plan to address the "Zero Defects" mandate and are your customers allowing the distinction between defects and a nonconformance.

Great topic - hope it goes somewhere.

Dave
Dave,

Are we talking about a Customer who may declare our equipment not fit for use, even though we have a Purchase Order with all the requirements, terms and conditions spelled out? Or are we talking about something wrong with the equipment? The original post was, I thought, about a Supplier not having access to the use of his product, which I feel is irrelevant. I'm not sure what we are talking about, now, and I sure as he** do not know the difference between a defect and a nonconformance. I'm sure I'm about to find out. Just like the difference between continuous and continually, I hope not! :bonk: :bonk: :ko: :smokin:

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
I think that the phrase - fitness for use - is a phrase coined by Dr. Juran and not Dr. Deming. However, Dr. Deming said that Quality is defined by the producer through knowledge of the Customer. What this means is this: you must determine what it is your customer is after. In your case, this might be difficult, but it will be necessary. The benefit of having standards, criteria or tolerances defined by the customer is that it reduces the effort to do research (by the organization). Look to see if any of these are available through drawing specifications or contractual requirements.

Dr. Deming cited this example: the customer didn't know that they wanted a pneumatic tire. What he wanted was a wheel and got what he expected, only better. Quality was created by the organization through innovation. Another example is Sony's Camera Manufacturing division. They had already achieved high quality cameras, perhaps the best in the industry but had not fulfilled the need of the customer. When they thought about it, they determined that the need was the ability for owners to take good pictures. Despite the camera being of high quality, the ingredient that neutralized the effect of the camera were the owners ability to take good pictures. Many did not set the exposure and distance properly, thus creating fuzzy or under/over exposed pictures. Once they determined that folks wanted 'good' pictures, they set out to recreate quality in the form of auto-focusing and light sensors to determine exposure. They revolutionized the camera industry in the process.

Quality is determined by organization, through your efforts to understand the customer needs and working to fulfill and exceed these expectations (known and unknown).

Without my OOTC being handy, I seem to recall that Dr. Deming said that Quality was an outcome that gives the Customer a benefit. Can anyone correct me on this??

As for Zero Defects, we can thank Philip Crosby for starting us on the Twelve Sigma kick some years back. As it was once stated here by a Cove Member, "It is a noble concept, but not really practical."

Regards,

Kevin

Re: Fitness for use

Andrews said:

Deming says "Quality is fitness for use " and not " meeting customer expectations".If a customer is not willing to share the usage / function of the part with the supplier ,then what should the supplier do?
Hmmm... That can't be very unusual... Ok, in that case I guess the supplier has to ask for specifications as necessary to produce the product.

/Claes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Customer survey question service - What a company should be willing to pay IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
G Bad Parts cause Customer line stop IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
O IATF 16949 News Ford Motors Customer Specific Requirements Update - Nov 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Question regarding customer feedback process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
B Retention Samples when Customer Leaves Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
M Email Template that go to a customer and then get returned to us for RMA/Warranty Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
D ISO 13485 8.2.1 and 8.2.2 - Customer Feedback and Customer Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Customer Complaint Response 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
D IATF16949 - Interpretation of Customer Requirements clauses Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
S Obligation to accept customer audits? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
D IATF16949 7.5.3.2.1 Record Retention - Our Product or Customer Product? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
S Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) not signed/approved IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
B FCA US IATF 16949 Customer Requirements updates Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
G Same parts but new customer - What will the auditor ask me? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Customer Satisfaction importance in companies with Government/Public Administration as main customer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 3
P Customer Corrective Action Requests in OASIS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
qualprod Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Who is the customer in the ISO/IEC 17025:2017? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 17
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
V Customer Print Specifications on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 13
S Issuing of CoC to Customer in a Word or Excel format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Design Transfer Template capturing Customer Specific Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Direct to customer export of medical device (class I: prescription lenses + frame) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S How to treat a customer complaint ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I ISO 9001:2015 Section 9.3.2 C1 "customer satisfaction and feedback from relevant interested parties" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
JoCam Labeling to Customer Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
Q Customer Satisfaction through On-Time Delivery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Pau Calvo PPAP customer requirements in the APQP APQP and PPAP 25
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
0 PPM calculation of customer complaints for PMS Customer Complaints 10
A Definition of customer in ITP (Inspection & Test Plan) Contract Review Process 3
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
S Best software for customer support/complaints? Customer Complaints 0
F ISO 17025 8.6.2 Customer Feedback Analysis ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
N Customer asking if their notified body can audit us ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
N ISO 9001:2015 Customer Complaints Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
PhilM Nonconformance report, Customer complaint investigations and RMAs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
G Problem Resolution Report Monitoring - Customer complaint or PRR as general motors use Customer Complaints 12
Nicole Desouza Sampling plan for a customer who wants AQL 1.0 (per ANSI Z1.4) AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
Ron Rompen 2D matrix issue - Parts (machined steel) returned from the customer Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
Juby Tan Action on Customer Replacement (Nonconforming Product - ISO 9001) Customer Complaints 2