Customer Notification of Change Procedure

A

ACIQualityGuy

Recently a perspective customer of ours has requested that we notify them of specific types of changes that we may potentially make. Rather than simply say yes to all of their requests (they are in the pharmaceutical industry, they use the same form for all suppliers, some of which have much more strict requirements than we do) we've decided to create an internal procedure to identify when we will notify our customers (those who request it) of changes. Although we may make special arrangements for big customers, I think having a standard procedure will help reduce the number of special requests we receive(and this will be the best chance we have at doing what we say we do :bonk:).

My goal is to create a system that doesn't rely on anyone to "remember" to tell the customer. I'm planning on working with IT to create a facility where we identify which customers want to be notified of a change and then, based on changes made in our ERP system or ECR/ECO system, an automatic email will be sent to the sales person that describes the change and asks them to contact their customer.

Requirements? What requirements? :lol:
The company I work for is not ISO Certified (though in the next five years we may head that direction). We are a class 2 manufacturer for some OEM's that surprisingly have relatively few requirements. I'm not aware of any requirements that will drive how and when we notify our customers.

Here are my questions (so far):
  • What types of changes do you notify your customers about?
  • How do you manage your change notifications to customers?
  • What means do you use to notify customers?
  • Who is the owner of this process within your company?
  • Does anyone have a procedure that they would allow me to SWIP (steal with intent and purpose! :lol:)
Thanks in advance for your help!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

DrM2u

What types of changes do you notify your customers about?
What you notify to your customers can be established by a standard you subscribe to (i.e. ISO 9001 or TS 16949), can be specified by your customers (cusomer specific requirements or contractual agreements), and/or can be set by your organization. Usually it is good practice to notify your customer of:
- any organizational changes that could impact how your organization deals with the customer (relocation, restructuring, downsizing, etc)
- any process changes that could impact product's conformance to the established requirements (cost, quality, delivery)
- any other changes that conflict with customer's requirements (i.e. decision to unsubscribe from compliance to a standard like ISO 9001 or TS 16949)
I would not bother the customer with other changes that could/would not impact the customer or the product
How do you manage your change notifications to customers?
You will meet customers that are very diligent about responding to change requests or notifications, and others that will never respond. I suggest that you add in your request/notification a clause that sets a time frame for a response (i.e. 30 days), and that the change is considered approved as submitted if there is no response. However, have documented follow up with your customers to prove that you have made the efforts necessary to obtain a response from them. The person or team responsible to manage the change should complete the whole cycle.
What means do you use to notify customers?!
I suggest any means that can be documented and are efficient for your company: letters, faxes, e-mail, web pages, etc. Make sure that you get documented confirmation from your customer's representative that they have received the notification and, where applicable, that they approve the change.
Who is the owner of this process within your company?
This depends from organization to organization. Some companies have a specific person responsible to so this, usually the customer service or contact person. Other organizations delegate the responsability to a 'change team' or to the person who requested/initiated the change. See what works best for your company.
Does anyone have a procedure that they would allow me to SWIP (steal with intent and purpose!
I suggest searching to the Cove's archives, if no one can provide a procedure here. There are a lot of examples to look at and select from, however taylor the procedure to your organization's specific needs.

I hope that I am not too far off the topic here and that my answers are of some help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Customer and Company Specific Requirements for notification of Customers of a change in Management or Key Personnel Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
S Customer PPAP notification and submission for a Change APQP and PPAP 2
J Supplier Change And Customer Notification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M IATF16949 Clause 9.1.2.1e - Customer notification related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
E Customer Letter/Notification - Is it a field action? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
dubrizo IATF 16949 Clause 8.7.1.6 - Customer Notification - Your Inputs Requested IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Stijloor GM (Supplier) and PPAP Requirement 3.1 Customer Notification APQP and PPAP 5
J Process Changes - Customer Notification Requirements APQP and PPAP 12
O Documenting Processes requiring Customer Notification Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
K Customer Notification Requirements - New Packaging Machine for Class 1 Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Customer Notification: PCN - EOL ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
G Customer Notification requirements when Switching Facility APQP and PPAP 10
T Notification of lost/damaged Customer Property - Customer Requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
R PPAP customer notification - what do you think? APQP and PPAP 12
L Customer Notification - Catalog Parts APQP and PPAP 1
M Customer Notification Rules under PPAP 3.1 APQP and PPAP 2
R Engineering changes for customer notification - PPAP Submission APQP and PPAP 5
T Electronic Industry Contract Manufacturing - Customer notification needed? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
S Customer Notification/PPAP when Changing Raw Material Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
Icy Mountain Customer Notification Clarification, When? Changing to subcontract assembly APQP and PPAP 10
Adriane What, if any, customer notification is required? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 41
K Customer notification of processing changes - Class I medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
H Customer Notification of Transfer, Material and/or Other Changes QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
G Defining Process Changes and Customer Notification Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 33
S Supplier shall notify GM - II.3.3 Customer Notification of Supplier Initiated Changes APQP and PPAP 8
D Packaging Changes & PPAP and Customer Notification APQP and PPAP 2
V Customer Notification - Bulk Materials APQP and PPAP 2
T Who's responsible for verification of customer specifications? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
D Is IATF certification required when customer doesn't require it? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
G Customer specific characteristics symbols Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
S Defining special characteristics beyond customer drawing FMEA and Control Plans 11
M Customer PPm (CPPM) on Pass-Thru Items Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
V Would the customer drawing change necessitate re-PPAP of the Product? APQP and PPAP 3
S Do we have to create a new PPAP to our customer if our Sub Contractor had to change? APQP and PPAP 10
FuzzyD ISO 13485:2016 Customer Assessment OFI ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I Restricting scope to one part number for one customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R Customer Listed on Approved Supplier List (ASL) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
N 8.3.3.3 Special characteristics - Auditor said we are required to create our own, if no customer char. exist. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
R Audit from Customer - concerned with IP protection ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
L Documenting internal audit of customer specific requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Supplier Performance when your supplier is also the customer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
I Customer Feedback Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
JoeRandom11 Question about Customer Supplied Equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Moncia Customer satisfaction monitoring - ISO 9001 and 14001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
D Customer Survey Example - ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Customer feedbacks sampling size EU Medical Device Regulations 4
G ISO 9001 - when implementing customer requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
P Customer Specific Requirements (Costco Wholesale) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Customer audit report review and approval ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Report on handling customer property ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1