A

arinek

The Customer Specific Requirements is the key here - as the topic started with VW and the flow down from Formel Q all suppliers in the supplier chain are requested to follow VDA 6.3 standards. The further down the supply chain the less likely the supplier is to be aware of this. How many tier 3 or 4 suppliers really know the expectations from the customer - Geographical location is no excuse - Automotive is a global operation with the increase in German based OEMS in North America this is becoming more and more common.

Recently these points are becoming more focused on the system audits also with Non Conformity's being issued now that may or may not of been issued in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiran Walimbe

Starting to get Involved
Formel-Q is a slightly modified version of VDA 6.3 process auditing. However, IATF 16949 is a system audit which fundamentally differs from the Process audit, especially the one being carried out by VW auditors. The approach of VDA process auditor is quite different from that of IATF or TS auditor. The entire pattern of this audit is available in the Red Book or the standard VDA 6.3 (2016) which you can buy on line from VDA webshop.

LUV-d-4UM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Customer request VDA 6.3 as well as TS 16969

Yes our company in Germany supplying to VW failed to meet the process audit because the customer requires the use of VDA 6.3. Now i have to map VDA 6.3 to IATF16949. If anybody has already done this exercise, can they share it with me?

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

Yes our company in Germany supplying to VW failed to meet the process audit because the customer requires the use of VDA 6.3. Now i have to map VDA 6.3 to IATF16949. If anybody has already done this exercise, can they share it with me?
Why do you have to map VDA to IATF? VDA 6.3 is basically a checksheet audit that asks a bunch of specific questions. My impression is that About half the questions mirror IATF requirements and the other half goes beyond the IATF requirements.

LUV-d-4UM

Thanks for your reply Helmut. If a finding is that the VDA 6.3 was not performed it's obvious that the root cause (after conducting the 5Y) is that we did not understand the CSR requirement for process audit. Is the Corrective Action then to be aware of the CSR and in the future perform the CSR audit for manufacturing process audit? Or should there be a complete VDA 6.3 audit to address this finding? Thank you for your feedback.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

Thanks for your reply Helmut. If a finding is that the VDA 6.3 was not performed it's obvious that the root cause (after conducting the 5Y) is that we did not understand the CSR requirement for process audit. Is the Corrective Action then to be aware of the CSR and in the future perform the CSR audit for manufacturing process audit? Or should there be a complete VDA 6.3 audit to address this finding? Thank you for your feedback.
That’s a very good question.... based on common practice, I would say yes, that would be part of the corrective action. Understand the requirement, Implement the VDA audit into your system, and perform it....

Kiran Walimbe

Starting to get Involved
Dear Helmut, Thanks for sharing your views. However, the fact is slightly different. VDA 6.3 has listed a set of 58 main questions as mandatory for the auditor – yes. However, there are many sub questions suggested by the standard to be used during the audit. They are also listed in the red Book. Also, it is a requirement that the auditor must study the process, plot a Turtle Diagram, identify the specific risks for the:
1) Inputs​
2) Work content​
3) Manpower​
4) Material resources​
5) KPIs​
6) Process output of that specific process and design specific questions for discovering the risks therein.​
This makes the VDA 6.3 audit far more tailor made and thorough.

Last edited by a moderator:

LUV-d-4UM

That’s a very good question.... based on common practice, I would say yes, that would be part of the corrective action. Understand the requirement, Implement the VDA audit into your system, and perform it....
VW wants to see the credential of a certified VDA 6.3 Process Auditor so we have to do something about it.

Top Bottom