Customer Requirement Data Sheet - Samples?

B

Bob_M

Info: Updating to ISO9k2k this is only a parital reason for this request.

OK, per our COMPANY's needs (as well as ISO), we want/need to start documenting our customer's requirements better and formally.

Can any one offer any suggestions or examples of how they track, record, and easily reference Customer Specific requirements (other than info entered into a large data base).

Basically we want Work Instructions (or some type of Data Sheet) that lists all the common and specific customer requirements for easy reference by all areas of the company. This would include, Customer Service, Quality, production, shipping, etc.

Basic info WE would likely record would be:
Part Approval (i.e. PPAP, samples, etc); material; assembly; packaing, labeling, shipping, transit routing, etc.

Is anyone else collecting/storing/referencing this info in an easy to maintain and easy to read manner.

Again I'm not looking to maintain a database (yet) so I'm think a form in Excel (spreadsheet) or Word.

Any suggestions, comments, examples would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob M

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Bob,

I hate to say this, it sounds like a cop-out, but it all depends on you and your customer, the type of parts, the type of specifications, complexity of the process, training levels, etc.

We get customer drawings about 80% of the time, the balance of the time we get simple written descriptions and dimensions in a PO. Of the 80% of the time we get drawings, 50% of the time we still need to reference other documents like our product catalog. So, we use a type of router that varies in detail as the situation warrants it. We assign a router/part number and write the router in Word. Excel would work, too. We use the p/n as the file name with a rev. letter i.e. "45678 Rev. A". Decide on a basic format, decide who will create and approve and control the doc, and go to it. Back 'em up on a regular basis to CD, etc. so you're save if the computer HD crashes. Sounds like you know what you need -- make the format suit your own needs.

S

Sam

The best place to start is with the APQP/Product realization process. It will cover everything you are asking about. Incorporate timelines and status logs. You can go a step further and create a master status log that includes all of your customers. This can all be done in excel.

T

tomvehoski

I used to have a similar problem when I was in a titanium nitride coating operation. We coated tons of carbide cutting inserts for five or six different companies. Even though we coated TiN for everyone, they each wanted it slightly different. Customer A wanted 2-4 microns thickness. Customer B wanted 1-3 microns. Different certification requirements, different packaging, etc.

I put together a summary instruction for each customer. In it I had coating thickness requirements, certification requirements, packaging to use, how to return bad inserts, etc. If anybody had a question about requirements for Customer A, all they had to do is grab that instruction. They were a pain to set up in the first place, but became very valuable over time.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Top Bottom