Customer requires Internal Specification to be met on PPAP

T

timkunce

My company submitted PPAP for a new product. The customer responded that we were missing the documentation required (Capability, additional checks) by the "W" marking on the customer's print. On research we find that the "W" characteristic is defined on document 123-456. We requested document 123-456 from the customer but we were told that it is for internal use only and they can not share it with us.

I believe that I should respond to the customer saying if they can't release the document to us defining what we need to do, then we can not be required to do it

Thoughts?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Tim: It sounds like your organization made a commitment, by taking on this work, which made it all the way to PPAP, without a key piece of information being present. I'd suggest that you have a failure of your contract review process - however, since you are where you are, made if they can't share the whole document, they'd give you the specifics related to the actual print characteristic - if that's how it works and the whole document isn't about the one feature...

T

timkunce

Andy,

During contract review we asked our SQE if this print had any critical characteristics that would require special treatment. (I'm not sure if we have this in writing or if it was a phone conversation), we were told there were no special characteristics.

I've requested more of the document, but I received part of the document and a statement "I can provide no further information". Their supplier quality manual states what they want from a special characteristic but not what defines a special characteristic.

OK, so is there an SQE "boss"? If you can't get any joy from the SQE, maybe his boss or even the Purchasing people. Of course getting this stuff in writing is always the rule, but surely, if they want you to do the job, the Purchasing people should be fired up to help here...

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
Sometimes a contract has a little statement in it to the effect due date from time of receipt of all drawings and specifications. If the PO has that clause, you could rattle it like a sabre.

The buyer may have a way of lighting the fire.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Find the guy that can release the specification to you. Those that say they cannot are just minions who don't comprehend the issue. I would start with the individual who "rejected" the PPAP. If they can't provide it, then maybe they'll change their mind.

I would be also weary of "internal" specifications. Many times they are really company specific. We see it with steel specifications which dictate the size and weight of steel coils. What works for them in many cases will not work for us.

Good luck.

IRONPOORER

Starting to get Involved
And if they continue to refuse to share the spec with you, you can simply check "does not conform" on the PSW and in the explaination/comment section explain it.

I doubt they sign the PSW but it may get you the spec.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S SPC Card for One Sample Size - Customer requires for all critical dimensions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
V Customer requires CpK 2 and PpK 1.5 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
M Customer Requires a new PFMEA Format FMEA and Control Plans 1
A IMDS DIFFICULTY: Our customer requires the Wildcard portion MUST be < 0.1 % RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
M Customer requires Controls Detection to match Control Plan Control Method FMEA and Control Plans 2
V Customer requires Compatability Matrix - Form or example wanted APQP and PPAP 4
Q Customer requires Quality Plan?? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
A Conflicting ppm rates - Customer requires 0 ppm - Suppliers work to 50 ppm Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
L Customer Requires Cpk 1.33 with 100% Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
J Major Customer requires a contingency response plan to a possible Avian Flu Pandemic Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 28
C Customer Requires QS-9000 - We think ISO 9001 is enough - Comments? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
B Retention Samples when Customer Leaves Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
M Email Template that go to a customer and then get returned to us for RMA/Warranty Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
D ISO 13485 8.2.1 and 8.2.2 - Customer Feedback and Customer Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Customer Complaint Response 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
D IATF16949 - Interpretation of Customer Requirements clauses Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
S Obligation to accept customer audits? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
D IATF16949 7.5.3.2.1 Record Retention - Our Product or Customer Product? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
S Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) not signed/approved IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
B FCA US IATF 16949 Customer Requirements updates Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
G Same parts but new customer - What will the auditor ask me? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Customer Satisfaction importance in companies with Government/Public Administration as main customer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 3
P Customer Corrective Action Requests in OASIS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
qualprod Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Who is the customer in the ISO/IEC 17025:2017? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 17
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
V Customer Print Specifications on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 13
S Issuing of CoC to Customer in a Word or Excel format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Design Transfer Template capturing Customer Specific Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Direct to customer export of medical device (class I: prescription lenses + frame) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S How to treat a customer complaint ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I ISO 9001:2015 Section 9.3.2 C1 "customer satisfaction and feedback from relevant interested parties" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
JoCam Labeling to Customer Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
Q Customer Satisfaction through On-Time Delivery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Pau Calvo PPAP customer requirements in the APQP APQP and PPAP 25
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
0 PPM calculation of customer complaints for PMS Customer Complaints 10
A Definition of customer in ITP (Inspection & Test Plan) Contract Review Process 3
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
S Best software for customer support/complaints? Customer Complaints 0
F ISO 17025 8.6.2 Customer Feedback Analysis ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
N Customer asking if their notified body can audit us ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5