Customer Satisfaction - Active and Passive - Simple explanation of the difference

E

energy

9004-2000 Section 8.2.1.2
“Measurement and monitoring Customer Satisfaction is based on review of customer-related information. The collection of such information may be active or passive.” There’s probably a simple explanation of the difference between the two methods. To me, passive means let the information flow to you. Active would mean going after it. Passive looks too easy. Like, “ I don’t have that information because I never got it.”
Any thoughts?

A day in the life of....
energy

Editors Note: Changed "9004-2000 Section 8.2.2.1" to read "9004-2000 Section 8.2.1.2"

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 03 June 2001).]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
-> "Measurement and monitoring Customer Satisfaction is
-> based on review of customer-related information. The
-> collection of such information may be active or passive."
-> There's probably a simple explanation of the difference
-> between the two methods. To me, passive means let the
-> information flow to you. Active would mean going after
-> it.

I think you're reading it right. If you send out a survey you're being active. If you rely on, or include, unsolicited letters from customers and such it's passive.

-> Passive looks too easy. Like, " I don't have that information because I never got it."

First – can you define what, in your company, you consider passive?

I would say most companies have some form of active aspect. I see both as important parts. If I went into a company and they said they had no passive customer feedback I would really begin to seriously wonder. No letters of appreciate? No letters from dissatisfied customers at all? No calls from dissatisfied customers? Never? Ever?

You will never convince me that there is a company out there that does not receive some form of passive feedback. It just happens! Like magic! I bet Ford gets a lot of unsolicited calls about their Explorers...

That said -- I had a client which was quite small – 12 employees. They explained they had not had a customer complaint for over 8 years. No letters. No phone calls. Nothing. But when we talked they better understood what a complaint is – to them – in their company. One aspect is that a sales rep visits every customer every month for at least a day to monitor the process and help in any way possible. The visits are, not that I agree, not documented (I think they’ll have to do that for the 2000 version ‘upgrade’). The problem for them initially was defining exactly what a customer complaint is. They restricted customer complaints (their definition) to a phone call, a FAX or other communication (of dissatisfaction or nonconformance) not originating in the customer facility with a rep. And by that definition they had not had a complaint in over 8 years. For a more complete understanding, the product is metal cleaning chemicals and phosphatizers. Not complex.

Another aspect of the problem is identifying measurables within either type (passive or active) of information gathered. Let's say you do a survey. First of all you won't get all of them back. next is the subjectivity of the questions you ask. This said, I think the most problematic aspect for you will be addressing issues of metrics. It says "Measuring and monitoring of..." and the measuring and associated aspects will be the 'hard' part.

Just some thoughts...

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 03 June 2001).]

E

energy

Marc,

Thanks for the input. I just thought that with the new emphasis on Customer Communication and satisfaction, the authors of the standard would want, if not insist, that a company actively pursue feedback and complaints. To allow you to sit back and wait for some happy or unhappy customer to contact you, (passive) appears to fly in the face the intent of this new requirement. It just looked like a loophole. Like, maybe a comment is made about not doing enough in the Customer Contact area. You can say " I'm passive". I also agree that the measurement and monitoring is going to be a bear. There will be many areas where this will be happening, but it will require a lot of thought bringing it all together for presenting it neatly to an Auditor.

A day in the life….

energy

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
-> I just thought that with the new emphasis on Customer
-> Communication and satisfaction, the authors of the
-> standard would want, if not insist, that a company
-> actively pursue feedback and complaints.

You are expected to use 'Active' methods. 'Passive' alone is 'enough'.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Customer Satisfaction importance in companies with Government/Public Administration as main customer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
I ISO 9001:2015 Section 9.3.2 C1 "customer satisfaction and feedback from relevant interested parties" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q Customer Satisfaction through On-Time Delivery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Have sites like Ebay and Amazon killed customer satisfaction/feedback? Customer Complaints 7
I ISO9001:2015 9.1.2 - Customer Satisfaction Feedback ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
V AS9100 8.2.1 (C) or 9.1.2 (D) Customer Satisfaction - KPI's AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K How can I monitor customer satisfaction? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
C Customer Satisfaction Process - Audit "Suggestion for Improvement" General Auditing Discussions 14
Ajit Basrur CDRH Customer Satisfaction Results at 87% US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
R Why customer satisfaction is not appropriate regulatory objective in medical device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
G How to assess Customer Satisfaction without using surveys ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A Customer Satisfaction Measurement When You Have Only 1 Customer AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Conduct Customer Satisfaction Survey for every submitted Bid? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Looking for a Customer Satisfaction Survey Form Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Z Customer Satisfaction Survey Analysis Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
E Marketing and Sales involvement in 8.2.1 Customer Satisfaction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Customer Satisfaction Survey - Poor Response ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Customer Satisfaction for Legal Services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Need to prepare Internal Customer Satisfaction Survey form for QA department Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Mr.Happy Customer Satisfaction Excel File Customer Complaints 3
C Customer Feedback, Satisfaction, Complaint Procedure and Measurement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M 8.2.1.1 - Customer Satisfaction - How to satisfy the end requirement? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M 8.2.1 ?NOTE- Is Monitoring of Internal Customer Satisfaction a requirement? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
E 8.2.1 Customer Satisfaction - Is Internal Customer Satisfaction Employee Satisfaction IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
W Customer Satisfaction Surveys in Oil Industry Customer Complaints 8
M Customer Conversion and Retention / Satisfaction Measurement Index Benchmarking 4
B Increasing Customer Satisfaction While Decreasing Employee Workload Customer Complaints 4
R Supplier Satisfaction Survey about Working with us as a Customer Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
R Setting Targets (Objectives) for Customer Satisfaction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Customer Satisfaction Surveys - User Friendly & Online methods. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Customer Satisfaction Surveys - Response Rate, Analysis, Customer Feedback ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A Minitab for Customer Satisfaction Analysis Using Minitab Software 1
J How to Increase Customer Satisfaction Rating? Customer Complaints 20
K Customer Satisfaction - Would you advise to investigate the trend or the incidence? Customer Complaints 9
I Calculating the CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 17
K Definition Customer Satisfaction - ISO 9001 Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 16
R Analyzing Customer Satisfaction Indexes Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
Antonio Vieira Customer Satisfaction Survey Sample Size Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
F Customer Satisfaction Survey - Further actions needed for Customers Comments? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E Customer Satisfaction - Customer Perception of Government Contract Officers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
V Complaints Handling Responsibility - Customer Satisfaction - ISO 10002 Clause 5.3.2 Customer Complaints 9
Sidney Vianna ISO 10004:2012 - Customer satisfaction - Guidelines for monitoring and measuring Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 18
B Quality Policy - Need to include "Customer Satisfaction & Continual Improvement? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Customer Satisfaction Reporting Responsibilities Career and Occupation Discussions 10
H Determining Customer Satisfaction in a Small Aerospace Job Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Is it mandatory to monitor customer satisfaction for a non-regular product? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
C The "Perfect Order" as a Customer Satisfaction Measurement Customer Complaints 7
D Obtaining Customer Perception Information - Customer Satisfaction - Clause 8.2.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D 8.2.1 Monitoring & Measuring customer satisfaction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
T How to monitor customer satisfaction without surveys? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16