Customer Satisfaction Process - Audit "Suggestion for Improvement"

C

C123456

Hello All,

I would appreciate any information you may have on a query below. I am a QMS manager for an industrial refrigeration company and we recently had an ISO9001:2008 external audit, the suggestion for improvement below was identified.

classification 4 Suggestion for Improvement.: Customer Satisfaction process described in the Quality Manual QM-001 Revision 05 would benefit from a more descriptive process detailed in an appropriate standard operating procedure.

At present I send out a customer survey at the end of each large installation job and find it very difficult to get them completed by the customer. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how to gather customer feed back in a more successful way. I have changed the name of the survey to contract review in the hopes that this may make an improvement, its has in a small way, but I need to up my game with this and write an SOP to reflect this. Id appreciated any ideas or advice.

thanks
Cora.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

JoShmo

This is purely opinion on the part of the auditor. I'd ignore it. WIthout a reason to improve, it's just busy work. Why does having a "more detailed procedure" improve anything?

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Hello All,

I would appreciate any information you may have on a query below. I am a QMS manager for an industrial refrigeration company and we recently had an ISO9001:2008 external audit, the suggestion for improvement below was identified.

classification 4 Suggestion for Improvement.: Customer Satisfaction process described in the Quality Manual QM-001 Revision 05 would benefit from a more descriptive process detailed in an appropriate standard operating procedure.

At present I send out a customer survey at the end of each large installation job and find it very difficult to get them completed by the customer. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how to gather customer feed back in a more successful way. I have changed the name of the survey to contract review in the hopes that this may make an improvement, its has in a small way, but I need to up my game with this and write an SOP to reflect this. Id appreciated any ideas or advice.

thanks
Cora.

Cora, I read the suggestion and your question as two separate issues. Unless I'm missing something, the suggestion does not appear to indicate that your survey approach is lacking, but rather is asking your organization to describe the customer survey process in more detail. This probably means what questions are asked, how frequently, who receives them, what's done with the results, etc.

As for surveys, please do a search here in the Cove. While there was a recent period of inactivity here, we have had plenty of discussions on the pros and cons of surveys, as well as other possible ways to explore determining and improving the customer experience.

Last edited:

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
There are many ways in which to assess customer satisfaction, and a survey is often not the best, since it will depend on who you ask, when you ask, what questions you ask etc. Repeat orders, references and introductions, and ongoing communication during the job probably give a more accurate indication of what your customers think.

By the way, it would be interesting to ask your assessor how they suggest that you measure the satisfaction of "a person or organization that could ... receive a product or a service that is intended for or required by this person or organization", since the definition would seem to include every person or organisation with access to your market, even if they will never buy from you. But that may be a different discussion...

J

JoShmo

Call your customers and ask them 5 simple questions. Email them beforehand to set up a time and just take a few minutes.

I wouldn't "call" it "contract review" it isn't. Call it wahat it is - Customer feedback. Make sure your management team is prepared to deal with the results.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Although it seems like a reach on the auditor's part, we might as well look toward the future and recognize that the 2015 version of ISO 9001 asks for more definition in the communication process, which could include communication with customers to receive their feedback, even though there is no clear requirement for that process to be formally proceduralized in a controlled document.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Id appreciated any ideas or advice.
I am not sure how large your installation projects are, but, assuming that you have a crew on site for a few days, weeks or months, chances are you have someone that act as the site project manager. It is likely that such individual has a number of "touch points" or contacts with a representative from the customer. If that is the case, why not make such "events" as a customer feedback opportunity? Sometimes, the best time to capture customer feedback is when they don't realize they (the customer) are doing so.

C

C123456

Thanks so much all for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

Roxane B I think you may a very good point, and that may satisfy the issue. :thanks:

Peter, I really like your approach, its very practical to let the facts speak for themselves. :thanks:

Jo, phone surveys dont really work in our business, as we would need to record the calls as evidence and that is not something my company, we are a small outfilt 35 employees, but thank you :thanks:

Jen an excellent and very valid point, which I hadnt really thought to much about, but you are exactly right:thanks:

Sidney, an excellent suggestion which I could easily do myself as I attend sites for larger instillation while carrying out document reviews, so this is something I will do.

thanks again all, this has been really helpful.

All the best
Cora

Adaym

Involved In Discussions
I;ve a similar query on this regard. Our org seek feedback on customer satisfaction (5 questions) and a net promoter score is calculated on the results. Any score below 8(out of 10) is fed back to assigned sales manager (automatically route via email) to react and take further actions as appropriate. Stop.

Now the question here I;m figuring it out what is lacking here in terms of not meeting requirements of ISO 9001:2015 or 2008 version (Performance evaluation). I;m new to ISO 9001.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
samer Hit ratio of customer satisfaction process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
A Sharing best practices in customer satisfaction monitoring process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 17
R Customer Satisfaction importance in companies with Government/Public Administration as main customer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
I ISO 9001:2015 Section 9.3.2 C1 "customer satisfaction and feedback from relevant interested parties" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q Customer Satisfaction through On-Time Delivery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Have sites like Ebay and Amazon killed customer satisfaction/feedback? Customer Complaints 7
I ISO9001:2015 9.1.2 - Customer Satisfaction Feedback ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
V AS9100 8.2.1 (C) or 9.1.2 (D) Customer Satisfaction - KPI's AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K How can I monitor customer satisfaction? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
Ajit Basrur CDRH Customer Satisfaction Results at 87% US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
R Why customer satisfaction is not appropriate regulatory objective in medical device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
G How to assess Customer Satisfaction without using surveys ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A Customer Satisfaction Measurement When You Have Only 1 Customer AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Conduct Customer Satisfaction Survey for every submitted Bid? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Looking for a Customer Satisfaction Survey Form Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Z Customer Satisfaction Survey Analysis Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
E Marketing and Sales involvement in 8.2.1 Customer Satisfaction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Customer Satisfaction Survey - Poor Response ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Customer Satisfaction for Legal Services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Need to prepare Internal Customer Satisfaction Survey form for QA department Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Mr.Happy Customer Satisfaction Excel File Customer Complaints 3
C Customer Feedback, Satisfaction, Complaint Procedure and Measurement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M 8.2.1.1 - Customer Satisfaction - How to satisfy the end requirement? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M 8.2.1 ?NOTE- Is Monitoring of Internal Customer Satisfaction a requirement? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
E 8.2.1 Customer Satisfaction - Is Internal Customer Satisfaction Employee Satisfaction IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
W Customer Satisfaction Surveys in Oil Industry Customer Complaints 8
M Customer Conversion and Retention / Satisfaction Measurement Index Benchmarking 4
B Increasing Customer Satisfaction While Decreasing Employee Workload Customer Complaints 4
R Supplier Satisfaction Survey about Working with us as a Customer Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
R Setting Targets (Objectives) for Customer Satisfaction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Customer Satisfaction Surveys - User Friendly & Online methods. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Customer Satisfaction Surveys - Response Rate, Analysis, Customer Feedback ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A Minitab for Customer Satisfaction Analysis Using Minitab Software 1
J How to Increase Customer Satisfaction Rating? Customer Complaints 20
K Customer Satisfaction - Would you advise to investigate the trend or the incidence? Customer Complaints 9
I Calculating the CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 17
K Definition Customer Satisfaction - ISO 9001 Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 16
R Analyzing Customer Satisfaction Indexes Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
Antonio Vieira Customer Satisfaction Survey Sample Size Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
F Customer Satisfaction Survey - Further actions needed for Customers Comments? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E Customer Satisfaction - Customer Perception of Government Contract Officers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
V Complaints Handling Responsibility - Customer Satisfaction - ISO 10002 Clause 5.3.2 Customer Complaints 9
Sidney Vianna ISO 10004:2012 - Customer satisfaction - Guidelines for monitoring and measuring Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 18
B Quality Policy - Need to include "Customer Satisfaction & Continual Improvement? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Customer Satisfaction Reporting Responsibilities Career and Occupation Discussions 10
H Determining Customer Satisfaction in a Small Aerospace Job Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Is it mandatory to monitor customer satisfaction for a non-regular product? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
C The "Perfect Order" as a Customer Satisfaction Measurement Customer Complaints 7
D Obtaining Customer Perception Information - Customer Satisfaction - Clause 8.2.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D 8.2.1 Monitoring & Measuring customer satisfaction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1