Customer Satisfaction vs. Dissatisfaction

M

Mark Bidinger

The paragragh on CS is creating quite a bit of discussion in my org. due to the fact that our sales and marketing group is an independent organization who does not provide us with CUST. SATIFACTION data. They will not be a part of the scope of our registration. We do collect data on dissatifaction from field returns and customer complaints. We have a system and objective evidence. However some indiviauls are concerned about the fact that we do not have satifaction data per se. I would think that

1. we have a system and evidence, so although it may not be world class it meeting the requirement.

2. We should discuss this as part of the registrar selection process.

3. If push comes to shove we could either send survey cards out with the product, or have an annual customer focus group with key customers

any thoughts or suggestions greatly appriciated.

8.2.1 Customer satisfaction

The organization shall monitor information on customer satisfaction and/or dissatisfaction as one of the measurements of performance of the quality management system. The methodologies for obtaining and using this information shall be determined.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Your reasoning appears sound to me. The satisfaction cards you mention in 3 might be a good idea.

I enthusiastically agree with line items 1 and 2.

"...some indiviauls are concerned about the fact that we do not have satifaction data per se..." This is going to be a hot potato for many companies as there is no clear definition of what evidence of customer satisfaction is. Is it an 80% approval rate from a mailing where youy get a response of 5%? I would think that field returns and customer complaints would provide sufficient evidence to act on. Benchmark yourself. Then trend - which, from what you wrote, you are already doing. It sounds to me like you have a good system for quantifying customer satisfaction. I can not see why you can not infer customer satisfaction from customer dissatisfaction information. In fact, if you sent out surveys you could say you are attempting to determine customer dissatisfaction, not just satisfaction.

C

CJacobsen

As part of the system I implement, all Customer Complaints are tracked specifically and also take priority when received. Although anyone can receive a complaint, Quality usually investigates the root cause and applies corrective/preventive actions. This information is relayed to the customer to satisfy their concerns that the problem is identified and will not occur in the future. However, after this step, a copy of the Customer Complaint form is routed BACK to Sales or Customer Support and they perform a FOLLOW-UP. The complaint form has three specific questions that are asked and answered and recorded:
1. Was our resolution to your complaint satisfactory?
2. Do you have any further concerns?
3. Is there any further action you feel is required?

These Customer Complaints are summarized and specifically included/discussed in management review meetings. This system has satisfied all assessors I have been involved with. Of course there is a lot more detail to it than described here. But this is the basics.

A

Al the Elf

Mark B

We have a very similar situation where the sales and marketing parts of the organisation are outside the scope of registration.

Thus - who do you supply ? Do you formally supply the sales and marketing part of the organisation as a customer or do you supply the final customers directly ?

Our sales and marketing team often are servicing 100's of customers, using the same batch of homogeneous product. As such it becomes the responsibility of our sales and marketing team to define a coordinated view of the customer requirements, and our (manufacturing) responsibility to satisfy that requirement. i.e. our measurement of satisfaction is currently internal (with the sales and marketing team), as that is who we define as our customers for our manufacturing registration.

One danger of gaining direct feedback from customers, must be that you take actions that improve things for specific customers but run contrary to the business planning of your sales and marketing team. Surely the sales and marketing team should be monitoring satisfaction, and then defining to you any changed requirements.

I might add that we are struggling hard to persuade the Commercial part of our organisation to take on board ISO9000 !

Cheers, Al.

A

Al Dyer

Mark,

It sounds like you are on the right track. You might want to think about visiting each of your customers and devising some sort of grading system based on those visits.

Past experience (in the auto industry) has shown that satisfaction surveys have a return rate of appx. 15%. Not a very good sample. As with any type of survey we have to be aware that personnel answering the surveys may not be the best person to ask.

Did they have a fight with the spouse last night?

Did they just get a butt chewing from the boss?

I like to be face to face with the person who is answering the questions.

Good Luck, ASD...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Customer Satisfaction and Dissatisfaction Measurement QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 29
R Customer Satisfaction importance in companies with Government/Public Administration as main customer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
I ISO 9001:2015 Section 9.3.2 C1 "customer satisfaction and feedback from relevant interested parties" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q Customer Satisfaction through On-Time Delivery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Have sites like Ebay and Amazon killed customer satisfaction/feedback? Customer Complaints 7
I ISO9001:2015 9.1.2 - Customer Satisfaction Feedback ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
V AS9100 8.2.1 (C) or 9.1.2 (D) Customer Satisfaction - KPI's AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K How can I monitor customer satisfaction? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
C Customer Satisfaction Process - Audit "Suggestion for Improvement" General Auditing Discussions 14
Ajit Basrur CDRH Customer Satisfaction Results at 87% US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
R Why customer satisfaction is not appropriate regulatory objective in medical device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
G How to assess Customer Satisfaction without using surveys ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A Customer Satisfaction Measurement When You Have Only 1 Customer AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Conduct Customer Satisfaction Survey for every submitted Bid? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Looking for a Customer Satisfaction Survey Form Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Z Customer Satisfaction Survey Analysis Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
E Marketing and Sales involvement in 8.2.1 Customer Satisfaction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Customer Satisfaction Survey - Poor Response ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Customer Satisfaction for Legal Services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Need to prepare Internal Customer Satisfaction Survey form for QA department Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Mr.Happy Customer Satisfaction Excel File Customer Complaints 3
C Customer Feedback, Satisfaction, Complaint Procedure and Measurement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M 8.2.1.1 - Customer Satisfaction - How to satisfy the end requirement? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M 8.2.1 ?NOTE- Is Monitoring of Internal Customer Satisfaction a requirement? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
E 8.2.1 Customer Satisfaction - Is Internal Customer Satisfaction Employee Satisfaction IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
W Customer Satisfaction Surveys in Oil Industry Customer Complaints 8
M Customer Conversion and Retention / Satisfaction Measurement Index Benchmarking 4
B Increasing Customer Satisfaction While Decreasing Employee Workload Customer Complaints 4
R Supplier Satisfaction Survey about Working with us as a Customer Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
R Setting Targets (Objectives) for Customer Satisfaction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Customer Satisfaction Surveys - User Friendly & Online methods. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Customer Satisfaction Surveys - Response Rate, Analysis, Customer Feedback ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A Minitab for Customer Satisfaction Analysis Using Minitab Software 1
J How to Increase Customer Satisfaction Rating? Customer Complaints 20
K Customer Satisfaction - Would you advise to investigate the trend or the incidence? Customer Complaints 9
I Calculating the CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 17
K Definition Customer Satisfaction - ISO 9001 Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 16
R Analyzing Customer Satisfaction Indexes Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
Antonio Vieira Customer Satisfaction Survey Sample Size Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
F Customer Satisfaction Survey - Further actions needed for Customers Comments? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E Customer Satisfaction - Customer Perception of Government Contract Officers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
V Complaints Handling Responsibility - Customer Satisfaction - ISO 10002 Clause 5.3.2 Customer Complaints 9
Sidney Vianna ISO 10004:2012 - Customer satisfaction - Guidelines for monitoring and measuring Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 18
B Quality Policy - Need to include "Customer Satisfaction & Continual Improvement? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Customer Satisfaction Reporting Responsibilities Career and Occupation Discussions 10
H Determining Customer Satisfaction in a Small Aerospace Job Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Is it mandatory to monitor customer satisfaction for a non-regular product? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
C The "Perfect Order" as a Customer Satisfaction Measurement Customer Complaints 7
D Obtaining Customer Perception Information - Customer Satisfaction - Clause 8.2.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D 8.2.1 Monitoring & Measuring customer satisfaction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1