Customer Specific Contractual Requirements

T

Tomf2

For a new ISO 9001 implementation for a business that maintains the commercial vehicle fleets of multiple customers, what is the best way to deal with contractual requirements that are customer specific? Typically an annual contract is drawn up with each customer to stipulate requirements, fees, etc. This often means having to alter processes from customer to customer.
Should each contract be 'translated' into customer specific procedures or does the contract itself constitute a 'record' or 'work aid' that alters a standardised process? This is very central to the business so I'd like it to be as neat as possible. Advice and suggestions welcomed!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Re: Customer contractual requirements

Should each contract be 'translated' into customer specific procedures or does the contract itself constitute a 'record' or 'work aid' that alters a standardised process?
Certainly, the customer specific requirements must be communicated in a way that the work force is aware of and can follow them. It can be done in a multitude of ways, such as quality plans, work instructions, procedures, work orders, routers, etc. But a typical contract is not an effective communication channel in the shop floor.

Randy

Super Moderator

The contract or actually the successful delivery of the contact is your product and it's from that successful you'll achieve customer satisfaction.

The customer requirements are nothing more than design elements you have to meet in order to deliver the contract.

Because you say that each contract is different you are going to have to design your services using common elements thay all have and those elements unique to them individually

I went through the same process a few years back with a $200+million service contract and our system certification

You do the same QMS stuff for services as you do for tangible product

T

Tomf2

Thanks, Randy, this is helpful. It points to an improved contract review process to properly integrate the customer needs into our working processes. Let me go and get on with it!

E

ERO0316

OK, I'm "butting in", here, but this kind of dovetails with something I've been researching. First off: I'm a LONG TIME TS16949 guy who has currently taken a job in a "jobber" ISO9001 shop. I don't see the Customer Specific Requirements called out as plainly in ISO as I did in TS. I am getting a runaround from our quoting team as to just exactly what they are, and I have not achieved success.
I know 7.2.1 a & b reference CSR's, as well as 5.2, but cannot get any traction. Am I missing something? We don't even have the customer's SQM's on-site and we supply aeronautic and aviation components. We have been an ISO certified shop for 8 YEARS, and no one's ever picked up on this deficiency during either an internal or external audit.

OK, so my question is Are we actually required to have the SQM's here? I have always thought you have to have them to understand the SCR's. have I been confused for YEARS?

Thanks, as you can tell, my level of frustration is pretty high. I uncovered this after I started (about 4 months ago) and am writing in internal audit report for this exact issue and getting beaten down because I'm challenging some paradigm I wasn't aware existed .. .. ..

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator

OK, I'm "butting in", here, but this kind of dovetails with something I've been researching. First off: I'm a LONG TIME TS16949 guy who has currently taken a job in a "jobber" ISO9001 shop. I don't see the Customer Specific Requirements called out as plainly in ISO as I did in TS. I am getting a runaround from our quoting team as to just exactly what they are, and I have not achieved success.
I know 7.2.1 a & b reference CSR's, as well as 5.2, but cannot get any traction. Am I missing something? We don't even have the customer's SQM's on-site and we supply aeronautic and aviation components. We have been an ISO certified shop for 8 YEARS, and no one's ever picked up on this deficiency during either an internal or external audit.

OK, so my question is Are we actually required to have the SQM's here? I have always thought you have to have them to understand the SCR's. have I been confused for YEARS?

Thanks, as you can tell, my level of frustration is pretty high. I uncovered this after I started (about 4 months ago) and am writing in internal audit report for this exact issue and getting beaten down because I'm challenging some paradigm I wasn't aware existed .. .. ..
ERO,

Each customer's requirements have to be understood well enough to quote and to accept the contract.

Then they are usually translated into production, verification and delivery requirements via a router or some sort of quality plan.

The contract may or may not be documented but the customer's spec and the internal requirements to fulfill the spec must be understood by those doing the work.

Are you insisting on documentation where none used to exist? If so what evidence do you have of a nonconformity with clause 4.2.1d?

John

Last edited:
D

dmp06

If you don't know the method to obtain the customer requirements then how do you know you know them?

A "router" or any other communication mechanism is only as good as the inputs. If the inputs are incomplete, missing or inaccurate (ie. "customer requirements" (written, unwritten, spoken, unspoken) then the output requirements are definitely not clear.

The most ignored process I see in organizations is related to obtaining, understanding customer requirements followed by determining feasibility, prior to signing any contract, purchase order or agreeing to deliver any product.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Customer requirements on specific standards Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
D Customer Specific Requirements / Customer Requirements for Indirect Customers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
H Customer Specific Change in a SaaS SAMD IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
J WAIVED ON Q1 - We Don't have to comply with FORDS customer specific requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
O Informational Ford Motor Company Customer Specific Requirements for IATF 16949:2016 - 08 Jan 2021 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
O IATF 16949 News Ford Motors Customer Specific Requirements Update - Nov 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
S Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) not signed/approved IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
D Design Transfer Template capturing Customer Specific Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
D Customer and Company Specific Requirements for notification of Customers of a change in Management or Key Personnel Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
B Interesting Discussion The legal aspects of Customer Specific Requirements (Contract Law). IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
R Cascading (Flow Down) Customer Specific Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Customer Specific Requirements / Distributors (IATF 16949) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
D IATF 16949 Cl. 4.3.2 - Customer Requirements vs. Customer Specific Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 41
B Interpretation of Customer Specific Requirements of Continental - Records Retention Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
B IATF 16949 Cl. 4.3.2 - Meeting Customer Specific Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
D Customer Specific Containment Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
C A couple CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) questions... Esp. Ford & Toyota Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
T "Customer Specific" Internal Audit suggestions needed Internal Auditing 12
S Are there Mitsubishi CSR's (Customer Specific Requirements)? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
Y Customer Specific PPAP Level 3/4 Requirements - Fastener Manufacturer APQP and PPAP 2
R Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US LLC Customer-Specific Requirements - Dec 2014 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
M Is correlation matrix required for Customer Specific Requirements in Quality Manual? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Do we have to implement customer specific requirements? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 13
T Customer Specific Documents and Records - ISO 9001 Control Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P Nissan CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) as of 2014 - ANPQP Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
V How to identify Customer Specific Requirement If is not provided by Customer Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
A Identifying and Tracking Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
V VAG Customer Specific Requirements - Product Safety Responsibility Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
Jim Wynne Customer-Specific Requirements Cited in TS 16949 Scope of Certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Stijloor Ford - June 2013 Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
S Do CSR's (Customer Specific Requirements) apply from the customer of your customer? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
P Revised Fiat CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
T CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) Audit Check List Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
A Audit NC - Not identifying our Customer Specific Requirements - TS16949 (7.3.6.3) General Auditing Discussions 7
P New Renault CSRs (Customer Specific Requirements) on IATF page Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
P CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) in TS 16949 Audits - Always required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 27
M How do you manage Customer Specific Requirements (CSRs)? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
L Boeing Customer Specific Checklist Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
L OEM Customer Specific Requirements - Spreadsheet wanted Customer and Company Specific Requirements 14
Sidney Vianna Aerospace Organizations - Customer Specific Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
V Implementation and Management of Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
M CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) linkage to IQA process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
S Customers an Extension of the Sales Force? Customer Specific Marketing Material Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
C Customer Specific Requirements for Service Applications (MOPAR) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
C Chrysler Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
P New FIAT Customer Specific Requirements (from the IATF) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
P IATF PSA Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
J Best Practice - Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
L Hyundai Customer Specific Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 11