Customer Specific Requirements

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
I'm confused, your company is IATF 16949 but you can't meet IATF 16949 requirements your customer require you to meet?

MSUENG

Starting to get Involved
I'm confused, your company is IATF 16949 but you can't meet IATF 16949 requirements your customer require you to meet?
Did you not read my example posted at 9:06 Friday? You said you have worked at tier 1-4. If so, how did you address things like this?

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
If you are not Tier 1 and can't report into the customer's system, then you just have to document that. Your direct customer should be ok with that.

You can have the information available and provide it in a manual method when requested.

MSUENG

Starting to get Involved
If you are not Tier 1 and can't report into the customer's system, then you just have to document that. Your direct customer should be ok with that.

You can have the information available and provide it in a manual method when requested.
From the standpoint of a 3rd party audit of a tier 2:
1 - The tier 2 documenting inability to meet a tier 1 requirement doesn't make it acceptable.
2 - I agree with you that the tier 1 should be ok with that, but you can't assume it. Their approval should be documented - ideally with a waiver.

My point is that the tier 1 shouldn't have this blanket requirement passing on all the OEM CSR's knowing the Tier 2 is not able to meet them all.

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
1 - The tier 2 documenting inability to meet a tier 1 requirement doesn't make it acceptable.
2 - I agree with you that the tier 1 should be ok with that, but you can't assume it. Their approval should be documented - ideally with a waiver.

My point is that the tier 1 shouldn't have this blanket requirement passing on all the OEM CSR's knowing the Tier 2 is not able to meet them all.
Sorry, I assumed you couldn't get into the Ford's system.

Putting anything into Ford's system is the Tier 1's job. It's not your inability, it's an inappropriate request from yout Tier 1's bolierplate, in my opinion.

Your Tier 1 is just doing to you what their OEM does to them. The responsibility for doing the work and ensuring the compliance rolls down to the lowest level.

I think you need to document your inability, to point out their responsibility.

I think an Auditor will accept this explanation, especially if it's not causing the OEM issues. Because it's all about protecting the OEMs.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource

I am missing the chain here. Is it?

you‘re tier 2
supplying tier 1
who supplies automaker (gm, ford, etc.)

If so, doesn’t your requirements come from the tier 1, and you would only be responsible for the automaker requirements the tier 1 specifically flowed down to you? If they do so in a boilerplate statement, then shame on them and you would need some type of waiver on non-applicable requirements?

MSUENG

Starting to get Involved
I am missing the chain here. Is it?

you‘re tier 2
supplying tier 1
who supplies automaker (gm, ford, etc.)

If so, doesn’t your requirements come from the tier 1, and you would only be responsible for the automaker requirements the tier 1 specifically flowed down to you? If they do so in a boilerplate statement, then shame on them and you would need some type of waiver on non-applicable requirements?
You hit the nail on the head Golfman.
I'm working with the tier 1 to get this type of document, but don't know how successful I'll be.
Now I just need to go thru every OEM CSR and put together a waiver telling them which ones I think should not apply to me. That is a load of work for me and a backwards way to operate in my opinion.

MSUENG

Starting to get Involved
Sorry, I assumed you couldn't get into the Ford's system.

Putting anything into Ford's system is the Tier 1's job. It's not your inability, it's an inappropriate request from yout Tier 1's bolierplate, in my opinion.

Your Tier 1 is just doing to you what their OEM does to them. The responsibility for doing the work and ensuring the compliance rolls down to the lowest level.

I think you need to document your inability, to point out their responsibility.

I think an Auditor will accept this explanation, especially if it's not causing the OEM issues. Because it's all about protecting the OEMs.
I think we are now on the same page, but you are correct on both accounts - I am a tier 2 and for that reason, I can't get into Ford's system.
I think you now see the situation our tier 1 has put us in. In addition to documenting my inability to meet the OEM's CSR they are trying to pass on to me, I need them to sign a waiver to document their agreement releasing us from those requirements. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to go thru each one of those requirements to determine which ones do not apply just to make the waiver.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
You hit the nail on the head Golfman.
I'm working with the tier 1 to get this type of document, but don't know how successful I'll be.
Now I just need to go thru every OEM CSR and put together a waiver telling them which ones I think should not apply to me. That is a load of work for me and a backwards way to operate in my opinion.
I would do the reverse. Tell them you’re not going to review a bunch of stuff not applicable to your operation that you have no direct contact to. Your customer can go thru and let you know specifically what they want. I am not paid to guess. Customer needs to do their job too.

Top Bottom