Customer Supplied Product - Problem with who is responsible for what

G

gheghe

Is it the us? vendor?customer?

We are buying materials as advised by customer, they'd given this qualified vendors and part numbers. When we materials arrived, we don't have documents to be used for receiving inspection. Is it US? or the vendor? or the customer responsible for sending us the drawing? any standard to suppoer this?

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
gheghe said:
We are buying materials as advised by customer, they'd given this qualified vendors and part numbers. When we materials arrived, we don't have documents to be used for receiving inspection. Is it US? or the vendor? or the customer responsible for sending us the drawing? any standard to suppoer this?
If I understand correctly, your company is buying and paying for the materials from a supplier your customer said was approved by them in the past, and you ordered based on a part number. IMO you should have the specifications associated with these part numbers so you can determine if what you received is correct. It is your responsibility to have these specifications. You can ask your customer to send them to you, which I would think they would do, or you can ask the supplier for their specification sheets, but somehow you must have some way to determine if you got the right things.

Section 7.4 of ISO 9001-200 applies.

JMO.

CarolX

gheghe said:
Sure gheghe, I would take you back to ISO9K2K and ask you how can you satisfy your customer requirements if you don't have all the documents you need? How did your organization quote the job without these documents?

Our customers specify on their drawings what type of material to use. It is up to us to find that material and inspect it accordingly.

Can you go back to your customer and ask for drawings?

CarolX

C

Craig H.

gheghe said:

Welcome to the Cove, gheghe!

I know of no standard that supports this specifically, but look at ISO 9001 6.1 and 7.1.

Its pretty much up to you to define what type of documentation you need and letting your suppliers (and in this case, your customer, I suspect) know this. It sounds to me like there is a very basic communication problem here.

What I would do is call your sales person who handles this account and ask them to get the info from your customer. Then, you or your purchasing person convey that info to your suppliers. Keep (controlled) copies of this info for your company's reference.

Hope this helps.

Craig

G

gheghe

Yeah carol, actually that's my very first question when I was inform about the issue. I told my boss that we should go back to our customer, well, he asked me, if thats written in the standard.

B

Bob_M

I agree with the above post:
You should request a copy of requirements from the Customer as well as any additional details you can get from the supplier.
We currently buy parts from a recommended supplier (only one in US currently making certain parts), but we received drawings from our customer so WE could verify the parts internal before placing them in a kit WE are sellling to the customer.
Just because they are "approved" suppliers, doesn't not mean they are perfect. Heck they may have some deviation on file or request for drawing change that you would never know about unless you ask or caught it during an incoming inspection!
Besides you should Cover You ARSE regardless. Just ask for the specs from the customer. If need be tell them you need them to satisfy YOUR quality system's requirements. :)

G

gheghe

I agree with you Craig, also poor planning. Actually I'm new here in the company, I can see a lot of room for improvement here. And the people here in COVE really help me, and though I'm new also here, I really learned a lot of things.

CarolX

gheghe said:
Yeah carol, actually that's my very first question when I was inform about the issue. I told my boss that we should go back to our customer, well, he asked me, if thats written in the standard.
Sure....read 7.2 "Customer-related processes" and 7.3 "Design and devlopment".

Have fun!!!

CarolX

M

mshell

Search the forum for "Customer Provided Euipment" we discussed customer selected suppliers a little.

C

CINDY

Gheghe,

Bottom line: You are responsible to ensure product quality. How can you ensure product quality when you don't know what the quality is? Get the specifications or drawings.

Cindy

Top Bottom