Customer Supplied Product - Problem with who is responsible for what

G

gheghe

Is it the us? vendor?customer?

We are buying materials as advised by customer, they'd given this qualified vendors and part numbers. When we materials arrived, we don't have documents to be used for receiving inspection. Is it US? or the vendor? or the customer responsible for sending us the drawing? any standard to suppoer this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
gheghe said:
We are buying materials as advised by customer, they'd given this qualified vendors and part numbers. When we materials arrived, we don't have documents to be used for receiving inspection. Is it US? or the vendor? or the customer responsible for sending us the drawing? any standard to suppoer this?
If I understand correctly, your company is buying and paying for the materials from a supplier your customer said was approved by them in the past, and you ordered based on a part number. IMO you should have the specifications associated with these part numbers so you can determine if what you received is correct. It is your responsibility to have these specifications. You can ask your customer to send them to you, which I would think they would do, or you can ask the supplier for their specification sheets, but somehow you must have some way to determine if you got the right things.

Section 7.4 of ISO 9001-200 applies.

JMO.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
gheghe said:
Sure gheghe, I would take you back to ISO9K2K and ask you how can you satisfy your customer requirements if you don't have all the documents you need? How did your organization quote the job without these documents?

Our customers specify on their drawings what type of material to use. It is up to us to find that material and inspect it accordingly.

Can you go back to your customer and ask for drawings?

CarolX

C

Craig H.

gheghe said:

Welcome to the Cove, gheghe!

I know of no standard that supports this specifically, but look at ISO 9001 6.1 and 7.1.

Its pretty much up to you to define what type of documentation you need and letting your suppliers (and in this case, your customer, I suspect) know this. It sounds to me like there is a very basic communication problem here.

What I would do is call your sales person who handles this account and ask them to get the info from your customer. Then, you or your purchasing person convey that info to your suppliers. Keep (controlled) copies of this info for your company's reference.

Hope this helps.

Craig

G

gheghe

Yeah carol, actually that's my very first question when I was inform about the issue. I told my boss that we should go back to our customer, well, he asked me, if thats written in the standard.

B

Bob_M

I agree with the above post:
You should request a copy of requirements from the Customer as well as any additional details you can get from the supplier.
We currently buy parts from a recommended supplier (only one in US currently making certain parts), but we received drawings from our customer so WE could verify the parts internal before placing them in a kit WE are sellling to the customer.
Just because they are "approved" suppliers, doesn't not mean they are perfect. Heck they may have some deviation on file or request for drawing change that you would never know about unless you ask or caught it during an incoming inspection!
Besides you should Cover You ARSE regardless. Just ask for the specs from the customer. If need be tell them you need them to satisfy YOUR quality system's requirements. :)

G

gheghe

I agree with you Craig, also poor planning. Actually I'm new here in the company, I can see a lot of room for improvement here. And the people here in COVE really help me, and though I'm new also here, I really learned a lot of things.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
gheghe said:
Yeah carol, actually that's my very first question when I was inform about the issue. I told my boss that we should go back to our customer, well, he asked me, if thats written in the standard.
Sure....read 7.2 "Customer-related processes" and 7.3 "Design and devlopment".

Have fun!!!

CarolX

M

mshell

Search the forum for "Customer Provided Euipment" we discussed customer selected suppliers a little.

C

CINDY

Gheghe,

Bottom line: You are responsible to ensure product quality. How can you ensure product quality when you don't know what the quality is? Get the specifications or drawings.

Cindy

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gman2 Coating Company, ALL customer supplied product? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A Customer Supplied Product & Certifications - Drop Ship - FDA and ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B Customer supplied product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R PPAP from Customer for Customer Supplied Product - Material to be machined APQP and PPAP 2
M Customer Supplied Product - When does it become that? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Customer Supplied Product and Traceability - No Customer Requirement - Toll Processor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
J Design exclusion - Service company that processes only customer supplied product Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
D Customer Supplied Product - Machine Shop Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
E QS 4.7 control of customer supplied product QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 10
D Element 4.7 Customer supplied product QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
J Definition Customer Supplied Product - Definition (including returnable packaging containers) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
Marc 4.7 Customer Supplied Product vs 4.19 Servicing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
D Customer Supplied Product - Is a list of all customer supplied product sufficient? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Marc Humans as Customer Supplied Product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Customer supplied material - risk and policy advice needed Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
A Identification of Customer Property: Customer-Supplied Thumb Drives & Ext Hard Drives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
R What objective evidence can/can't be supplied during a customer audit? General Auditing Discussions 3
N What is the easiest way to verify we have the correct customer supplied materials? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
I Implant Raw Material Supplied from Customer to Contract Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S How can I inventory labels supplied by customer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Procedure for Handling of Customer Supplied Material (AS9100 Requirements) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S ISO 9001 Section 7.6 - Customer has supplied torque specifications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R CAD Print Conflicts with the Customer Supplied Paper Drawing Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
N How to apply Incoming (Receiving) Inspection to Customer Supplied Material? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
H Can the documents supplied by the client categorised as customer property?? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Calibration through Gage Blocks/Test Fixtures/Customer Supplied ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
H What can be customer supplied properties (property) for the software industry? Software Quality Assurance 18
C Customer Changes to Customer Supplied Documents - Testing Instructions US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
A Lot Number Assignment for Incoming Purchased Products and Customer Supplied Material Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Customer Supplied Material Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
T Control of Customer Supplied Material - Build to Print Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G Customer Owned or Customer Supplied Properties - Do we need a procedure anyway? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
T Best Method and Equipment for Measuring Porosity of Customer Supplied Castings Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
T PPAP supplied to our customer Direct from Heat Treater supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
P Customer Supplied Property - System breakdowns at every level including sales ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Phil P Customer Rejections - Accepted minimum criteria for rejection of supplied parts? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
J New Gage R&R - Attribute gage supplied by my customer Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Customer supplied products ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D Verification of Rev Level of Customer-Supplied Standards QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
J CAD Files vs. Blueprints - How are people controlling customer supplied CAD files? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
B Retention Samples when Customer Leaves Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
M Email Template that go to a customer and then get returned to us for RMA/Warranty Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
D ISO 13485 8.2.1 and 8.2.2 - Customer Feedback and Customer Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Customer Complaint Response 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
D IATF16949 - Interpretation of Customer Requirements clauses Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
S Obligation to accept customer audits? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
D IATF16949 7.5.3.2.1 Record Retention - Our Product or Customer Product? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
S Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) not signed/approved IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17