Customer supplied products

D

dr madhavan

My client is a Cutting Tool manufacturing company. The Company receives drawings from various customers based on which the products have to be manufactured and supplied.
1. Should we treat the drawing as a Customer supplied Product (or property)? (Sec 4.7).
2. If not, how should we handle the situation?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

David Mullins

As the drawings are provided for "related activities", YES. For example you might register the drawings (a common sense practice even without the standard). Verification of the drawing is also a healthy idea.

You could avoid it if you could prove that the drawings stayed under the cdirect control of the customer, but this is unlikely in most cases (but not all).

Cheers.

------------------

E

eskay

I think drawings supplied by customers can be treated as "customer supplied product". But ensure any updates / changes made by customer to the drawings are known to you and you have the latest update of the drawing.

BTW Madhavan, where are you putup in Madras. Just curious to know as my native is Madras. ;)

Kannan

[This message has been edited by eskay (edited 02 May 2000).]

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Customer drawings are Documents of External Origin and must be controlled as same. Calling them Customer Supplier Product is questionable. I won't say you couldn't get away with it, but you will have to be ready to show how you know whether you have the latest revision and such.

T

Tom Goetzinger

I agree with Marc. While you might get away with calling them Customer Supplied Product, I think you would find it much more beneficial to consider them under your Document Control procedures. The fit is normally better, and it really is critical that you have control of these drawings if you are trying to build product from them.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Remember that the paradigm for Customer Supplied Product is something you use in the process (materials and such), that you use to process (a die) or containers that you ship the product in. I've never seen customer drawings described as customer supplied product.

A

AJPaton

Question, what if you have drawings that are not customer supplied, but come from an off-site design center. We're registered to 9001 with their design activity, but our facility is more like their customer than anything else. We have their Quality Manual, but their drawings are not listed as one of our externally generated documents.
Should they be? Or, since we're in the same company are they internally generated documents??

(addendum: "eskay" is Kannan a common name in Madras? You're the second gentleman from there I've known to have that name.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by AJPaton (edited 02 May 2000).]

E

eskay

Thanx Marc... I think I should agree that drawings should be listed as document of external origin and there should be a control procedure to check on the latest revision.

Yes AJPaton, Kannan is a very common name in Madras. FYI, in our office I have a collegue who is also named Kannan! ;)

Kannan

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
I have seen both.....I prefer doc control myself.... but it worked in Customer Supplied Stuff Ok.....as in 'contract manufacturing' with drop kits for one...where they are at the mercy of the customer.....and each customer has its own sets of rules....
Had it been my client... I would have approached it differently...but I was the auditor,,,and it worked...

after giving that some thought.....it would work in tooling as well..especially when you are making spare parts for old machines...and the drawing comes as part of the contract, and travels to shop floor, and becomes a part of the mfg. record....Again...I would prefer 4.5, but it would work there....

[This message has been edited by barb butrym (edited 03 May 2000).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Lot Number Assignment for Incoming Purchased Products and Customer Supplied Material Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R Customer supplied material - risk and policy advice needed Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
A Identification of Customer Property: Customer-Supplied Thumb Drives & Ext Hard Drives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Gman2 Coating Company, ALL customer supplied product? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R What objective evidence can/can't be supplied during a customer audit? General Auditing Discussions 3
N What is the easiest way to verify we have the correct customer supplied materials? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
I Implant Raw Material Supplied from Customer to Contract Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S How can I inventory labels supplied by customer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Procedure for Handling of Customer Supplied Material (AS9100 Requirements) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
S ISO 9001 Section 7.6 - Customer has supplied torque specifications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R CAD Print Conflicts with the Customer Supplied Paper Drawing Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
N How to apply Incoming (Receiving) Inspection to Customer Supplied Material? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
A Customer Supplied Product & Certifications - Drop Ship - FDA and ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B Customer supplied product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
H Can the documents supplied by the client categorised as customer property?? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Calibration through Gage Blocks/Test Fixtures/Customer Supplied ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
H What can be customer supplied properties (property) for the software industry? Software Quality Assurance 18
C Customer Changes to Customer Supplied Documents - Testing Instructions US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
T Customer Supplied Material Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
T Control of Customer Supplied Material - Build to Print Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G Customer Owned or Customer Supplied Properties - Do we need a procedure anyway? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
T Best Method and Equipment for Measuring Porosity of Customer Supplied Castings Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
R PPAP from Customer for Customer Supplied Product - Material to be machined APQP and PPAP 2
T PPAP supplied to our customer Direct from Heat Treater supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
M Customer Supplied Product - When does it become that? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
P Customer Supplied Property - System breakdowns at every level including sales ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Phil P Customer Rejections - Accepted minimum criteria for rejection of supplied parts? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
M Customer Supplied Product and Traceability - No Customer Requirement - Toll Processor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
G Customer Supplied Product - Problem with who is responsible for what Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
J New Gage R&R - Attribute gage supplied by my customer Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
J Design exclusion - Service company that processes only customer supplied product Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
D Customer Supplied Product - Machine Shop Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
E QS 4.7 control of customer supplied product QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 10
D Element 4.7 Customer supplied product QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
J Definition Customer Supplied Product - Definition (including returnable packaging containers) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
D Verification of Rev Level of Customer-Supplied Standards QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
Marc 4.7 Customer Supplied Product vs 4.19 Servicing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
J CAD Files vs. Blueprints - How are people controlling customer supplied CAD files? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Customer Supplied Product - Is a list of all customer supplied product sufficient? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Marc Humans as Customer Supplied Product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P Customer Corrective Action Requests in OASIS? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
Q Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Who is the customer in the ISO/IEC 17025:2017? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 16
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
V Customer Print Specifications on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 13
S Issuing of CoC to Customer in a Word or Excel format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Design Transfer Template capturing Customer Specific Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3