Customer Surveys and Feedback - Company ScoreCard Report

D

David Mullins

I seldom start threads as I rarely get the answers I'm after - but here's an easy one for y'all!

Started with another company (yes, again).
A few months ago they ran a customer survey (conducted by external consultant who conducted interviews with customers to a set questionnaire).
After a week of induction that brain-washed us with the fact that our relationship with the customer was more improtant to the business than anything else, I read the first item written by my new Managing Director.

Please give me some feedback about what you make of this - as my opinion may be tarnished from too many past employers. (I've sanitised it)

Dear Mr Customer
Company ScoreCard Report
REF #### of date #### provided the results of the third round of the Company Scorecard process. Company SS places a very high priority on customer satisfaction and we are therefore most disappointed that satisfaction within your department with our performance in the BCSS project appears to have declined, particularly in the areas of Performance and IP.
We are determined to achieve a significant improvement in future assessments and have already put a number of actions in place to this end. To assist in the process, however, it is important that we are clear on the issues that have led to these outcomes. In particular, we seek a better understanding of instances where we have been "reluctant to accept the full range of integration responsibilities which should fall to a Prime ____ _____."
While we will continue to discuss ways in which we can improve our performance of the XXXX contract with the Project Office and other stakeholders, it would be helpful to receive a briefing on your department’s specific concerns and I ask for your assistance in arranging this.
Based on our experience to date, the Scorecard process is a useful tool. We support its use, accept the criticism implied by the most recent assessment and reaffirm our commitment to achieve a substantial improvement.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
How many times has this been said before?? Many times these are a well written line of bull. If you are really concerned about your customer,you do not need a survey. Surveys do help, but the response is critical. Action not words or talk!!!

Last edited:
A

Al Dyer

David,

I think you might agree with my assessments of customer surveys:

If I were the customer I would start zoning after the first paragraph, place it in the circular file, get a java refill, and have a good game of solitaire.

I'm sure the customer has a supplier rating/performance system, use it as the baseline and keep it simple, manageable, and effective.

D

David Mullins

just to reclarify the issue

For GP and others, the issue here is not about surveys, the question should be - if you were the surveyed customer, what would you think about receiving such a letter from the Managing Director?

PS- Al, good point on the supplier rating/performance stuff.

L

Laura M

It's way too wordy and would get ignored (if I got it).

The word "criticism" is inappropriate, when the customer was asked to provide feedback.

The wordiness around "We are determined to achieve a significant improvement in future assessments and ..........and I ask for your assistance in arranging this. " could be replaced with "I would like to arrange a visit so we can further discuss project xxx." Or something much less flowery. Plus to ask for assistance?

I dunno Dave - I wouldn't think much of this letter if I got it.

Is that what you were looking for?

L

Laura - 2003

Me too

Have to say, I agree with Laura.:D

If that letter landed on my desk I'd stick it at the bottom of my things to do and it would probably stay there until I filed it in the waste paper basket.

The letter is pompous, wordy and pointless.

Client perception is the key. What would the client perceive if they received this?

KIS, that's my philospohy. Bit like myself!
:vfunny:

M

M Greenaway

Hmmm

David

Dont know if its me but I cannot see from this letter that the company has actually determined what the customers perception of its quality performance really is, and where its short comings are.

I see that the letter requests this information, which might be seen as a painful second bite by the customer. The initial survey should have been good enough to determine exactly what the problems are, not just that satisfaction had declined.

Am I close ?

D

David Mullins

my thoughts were:

Originally posted by M Greenaway

I see that the letter requests this information, which might be seen as a painful second bite by the customer. The initial survey should have been good enough to determine exactly what the problems are, not just that satisfaction had declined.

Am I close ?

Yes, and then some.

The three main points that popped into my head on reading this letter were:
1. Customer surveys are supposed to capture an accurate reflection of customer perception;
2. This type of letter causes the customer to:
a). not respond to future survey requests;
b). make false claims of satisfaction in future vurveys; and
c). hate the supplier, such that they bad-mouth htem behind thier back.
3. This is counter-productive, unless the whole point of the survey exercise is to get a good score (not improve quality). This letter really puts the squeeze on the customer. It is unnecessary, and could have been handled in ways which don't impact the customer relationship (which is supposed to be important to the company).

So am I being too hard, or has the MD really lost the plot on customer surveys? Remember, the company pays $50K+ each year for these surveys. A waste of money and causing more damage than good from my estimation.

Any further thoughts?

A

Al Dyer

My further thought is that I'll do it for 1/2 the price!

I would like to ask the general size of your company and are they doing any type of R.O.I. measures? If so, what is/are the measurables to prove an effective system?

D

David Mullins

I haven't been here 2 weeks yet!

Companies doing survey work in Oz charge like wounded bulls. (They like to cloud it in mystery and claim it requires amazing skills and levels of understanding never before seen)

Size: 212 employees

ROI: not really.
They focus on the budgeting and income from each project. They are required to clear 10% real profit.
They have a heavy focus on relationships with customers and employees being the most valuable assett.

Effective system? No ROI on the survey process, if that's what you mean. They are happy (or unhappy) with getting a score each year.

Top Bottom