A company sends out customer satisfaction surveys to its top 400 customers, and these top customers represent 95% of its business. Do the customers that represent the other 5% who only make spot buys have to be surveyed? Any ideas would be appreciated.
I have to say, I have heard lots of negative comments about customer surveys. I imagine it depends on the type of organization, however, we are having tremendous success with ours, and gaining some very vaulable information. We actually have two types of surveys. One is designed to administer to Management of a company (by our Sales Reps) and a second survey which is geared toward the workers that our associates deal with everyday. This is allowing us to gain information related to the adminstrative and operations levels. The information is entered online and our MIS department put a program in place to analyze the information from several different perspectives.
I was sat in a small company the other day discussing this very topic. My thought was to do a quarterly report on sales value by customer, then go visit the top four over the coming quarter - then repeat the cycle. Any actions coming out of the meetings put through the CA/PA system.
Obviously this would be a huge undertaking for larger orgs, but might work for you mom and pop shops ?
Perhaps if we somehow weighted the score towards markets we wish to pursue, or customers of perhaps more 'high risk' products. Does make it slightly more complicated, and may be unnecessary where we manufacture a standard range of product and sell to a 'stable' or fixed market - dunno.
I though this approach might be more difficult in larger orgs due to the possibility of having numerous customers on a roughly equal status, and having perhaps the need to 'audit' many more. But of we can overcome the resource issue it would work, or perhaps used our sales force to do the 'audit' ?