Daily activities of a Newbie ISO Management Rep/Lead Auditor

K

KPursell

Hello All,

I recently had the chance to be "promoted" to my companies ISO Coordinator or in other words management rep/lead auditor. I couldn't pass up the opportunity, but now am severely overwhelmed !

I made the dive into the icy waters of the quality pool 3 weeks ago. In that time I did attend a ISO 9001 lead auditor training class via Kelmac Group in Chicago. As far as I know I passed, although yet to receive an official certificate. My instructor informed me via text message I appeared to have passed.

I did not have much knowledge of ISO prior to this, other than the basic training my predecessor provided to the company, which was next to nothing. This site is EXTREMELY helpful, although that's about how I spend my 8 hours a day here, reading and learning. Which is fine, until the big boss shows up looking to see what I have been doing!

I'm at a small mom n pop shop that makes custom keyboards, will remain nameless until someone needs to know, about 35 people here, 20 in production 15 in the office. We have been ISO 9001:2008 registered for 3 years now.

Last week we had our annual six month surveillance audit, passed with no major or minors, a few OFI's. I essentially was an observer or guide, my QC manager took over for this audit as I am new to the quality department. I did answer everything a okay that I was asked by our registar.

Long story short - On a daily basis I'm not sure where to begin !! Our history of internal audits and mgmt reviews is enough to keep the registar happy, but it isn't really much to show off. I also help out in quality/incoming inspection so there is constantly small fires to put out in production.

I guess I'm looking for help on where to get started on a day-to-basis, as I cannot get much help here at work. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, as mentioned I'm a newbie.

THANKS !!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Re: ISO Mgmt Rep/Lead Auditor newbie

Welcome to the Cove!

These are promising beginnings. From here I would keep track of nonformances and schedules using tools that I am guessing you have in place, since the auditor should have asked about them.

As for the rest, from day to day I would keep track of what's going on with the key process indicators, and if there are weak spots in things like root cause analysis I would attend to them with coaching and two-way communication with process owners to understand if there is anything to improve upon.

K

KPursell

Re: ISO Mgmt Rep/Lead Auditor newbie

Thank you very much for the quick response, and good information as well ! Provides me with a basis to get started on.

S

silentrunning

In addition to what Jennifer said, I would go over all the past audits. Both Internal and 3rd party. This may give you a heads up on weak areas so you can prevent something minor from turning out to be serious. Good luck and congratulations.

K

KPursell

One of the OFI's from our recent 6 month surveillance audit was "Make sure the formulas for KPI's are documented" Perhaps someone can shed some light on that..I'm just getting familiar with KPI's to begin with. For example we (quality dept) show the registar an On-Time shipping report, for customer orders that left the buidling on time. Also, incoming purchase orders have an 'on-time' report our ERP/MRP system can run...So the registar wants documented "calculations" ?? i.e. $$ from orders divided by scrap from production = scrap report ** I'm sure that isn't the actual formula, but just for example..

I

isoalchemist

My guess is your registar was getting mixed answers on what your KPI's really mean.
Does On-time mean shipment date out the door or delivery date to the customer?
Is your scrap percentage based on dollar value of the part or just parts?

By ask documenting the calculations you ensure everyone is on the same page and that two different departments are reporting the numbers the same way and not getting creativer in a way that looks best for them. I once had a scheduling department claiming Manufacturing was constantly 10 days late on orders, when the actual time in manufacturing was 1.5 days. It turned out scheduling was releasing orders that could not be filled due to shortages so they could say they were releasing orders on-time.Manufacturing was counting from when all the parts were actually given to them.

Always define how you are counting and get everyone to agree to how its counted, it makes life much easier (or at least less argumentative after the first round).

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Isoalchemist gave a better response to the KPI question than I was ready to give. :applause:

But to be clear, there is NO requirement to implement an OFI; when I give one I stress that the following auditor (myself or whomever) is supposed to look for evidence that the OFI has been considered. I would sooner sprout wings and fly than say in an OFI "Make sure you" because that sounds too close to a nonconformance.

So, clearly enough if you are measuring process effectiveness based on on-time shipments you could choose your method, affirm it does not conflict with other KPIs, and be ready to show how the numbers were arrived at. If I were making a dashboard (collection of KPIs) using a database program like Excel, I would be ready to show the formulas in the cells. But there is no, none, zero, zippo requirement to have that information in a controlled document. If an auditor persists I'd ask him/her to show me the "shall."
:2cents:

M

MGMTREP

I concur with the direction others have detailed and would add that a root cause analysis of the "...small fires in production" and corrective action may provide a practical way to acheive meaningful improvement.

K

KPursell

on-time shipping is based on product going out the door..scrap rate is X amount of sales from jobs shipped (small private company, only top management has access to sales dollars) divided by total cost of scrapped material. Scrap $ / sales $ report is done on a monthly interval, or so it appears my predecessor was doing it that way..So to improve on my OFI from the registar where he wants KPI formulas documented, these equations for reports need to be 100% set in stone with all department heads and management ?? From what I was told by the Logistics manager, these reports (scrap, on-time shipping) are what has been shown in previous MRM's and surveillance audits. Please be advised I am a newbie as in my earlier posts, my apologies for silly questions/comments. Again thanks to all and to the cove.

K

KPursell

Thanks much to all...I didn't think the standard requires a 2+2=4 formula in a controlled document. Maybe a much better thought just to be sure everyone is on the same page with how we actually come up with data in the report, and have a formula for reference only available. I just wanted to show that I took note to his observations, but keep thinking the wrong way as in "I shall" work to fix OFI's. If this were really serious, would have been a minor/major n/c which it is not.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Establishing a QMS - What Daily/Weekly/Monthly activities in Auto Industry IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Anerol C What activities are you doing daily as QMS Coordinator? Career and Occupation Discussions 3
Z Do we need to make documentation for Daily Activities of an Engineer? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
MSeibert47 Daily Quality Topics - Need Ideas Please! Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 15
qualprod Ideas to stop bad practices in daily work ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
optomist1 Rates Daily or Hourly Process Improvement Training Consultants and Consulting 2
C Quality, efficiency and effectiveness of daily work routines Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
I Can subgroup size change daily? (X-bar & R) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
M Daily Temperature and Humidity Graph template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Marc The daily routines of history's most creative minds Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
T Are GRE words useful in American daily life? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
D Records Requirement - Daily Instrument Verification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
W Weighing Scale used in Phamaceutical Production - Daily Verification Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
M Checksheet for each QC department to record their daily tasks on an hourly basis Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
H Measurement System in Control if the Equipment requires Daily Calibration? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A Request for Daily Talking Point and Meeting Ideas Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
M Layered Audit Checklist with focus on daily quality General Auditing Discussions 3
T Internal Auditing - Daily Audits and Checks Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S Selecting weights for daily Calibration Check - Using just one weight? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
S LDMS (Lean Daily Management System) HELP: No Daily Metrics in HR Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
P Daily Rate to bill for a Site Quality Manager - Construction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Template in excel (xls) on Attrition for daily manpower reporting Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
V Daily weight checks of floor scales General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
P Should Forms printed for daily use in the shop floor be controlled documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
Y SPC Daily Monitoring and Subgroup Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 19
Y Can I reduce the Sample Size? Sampling check of more than 1,000 pieces daily Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 25
G The daily Dilbert - ISO 9001 and Six Sigma related Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 4
R Confusion - Which tools are used and why on a daily basis? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
T Manufacturing Defect Tracking - Program to record daily inspection records Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 12
B Headlines of Ironic Daily Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
R Document for daily check of analytical balance and criteria General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Should a Quality Manager know daily production numbers? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
C SPC for calibration check data? Daily gram scales check - What is acceptable? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
C Measuring Daily Cycle Counting Inventory Accuracy Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Raffy Can our daily operations meeting be considered as Management Review? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 31
D Test Equipment at Work Station - Are Operator Daily Checks part of Laboratory Scope? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Servicing activities: 7.5.4 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
T How to handle out-of-scope activities. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
DuncanGibbons Process flow & PFMEA for production planning and simulation activities? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
A PRRC effective role and activities EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Quality Audit Training Activities Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
Q Sampling method for Distributor verification activities EU Medical Device Regulations 1
silentmonkey Are risks in supply chain and development activities within scope of MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
B QMS question in regards to multiple medical devices/products and N/A activities Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
S Definition of "servicing activities" - Spinal Implants ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Informational Update on ISO TC 210 JWG 1 activities Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational How to perform a clinical evaluation of medical devices – Part 1 – Overview and sample of activities Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
DuncanGibbons Why is 8.4 post-delivery activities before 8.6 release of products and services in AS9100D? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K Capturing local government development/planning activities in aspect register ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2