Daily Quality Topics - Need Ideas Please!

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
In my experience, employees are much more interested in where and how the product that they make is used. They can be so far separated from the customer that they don't understand what the product even does. This won't be true for some product, but other products can be rather mysterious. For example, a reversing valve for a heat pump, an ice switch for a soda machine, a drive, etc. They often know nothing about the customer or how the customer uses the product. I found that they were extremely interested in these things so they could take pride in their work and explain what they did to family.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
In my experience, employees are much more interested in where and how the product that they make is used. They can be so far separated from the customer that they don't understand what the product even does. This won't be true for some product, but other products can be rather mysterious. For example, a reversing valve for a heat pump, an ice switch for a soda machine, a drive, etc. They often know nothing about the customer or how the customer uses the product. I found that they were extremely interested in these things so they could take pride in their work and explain what they did to family.
The good news is, we make food! They know exactly what to do with it :) But yes, that is the underlying goal of the project, I want the team to have a quick and easy understanding of why quality principles are in play. Just something educational to get the brain working in between the larger and in depth training courses that are already established. Why a metal detectable pen? Why magnets and screens? Why label checks? Why do we use blue plastic bags? I already have a successful training program and QMS system, I really just want IDEAS so that I can create content. :)

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
The good news is, we make food! They know exactly what to do with it :)
Don't be too quick to assume. You mentioned dietary supplements. I suspect there are quite a few that do not know what each supplement does.

One thing that might be good to try and might be mutually beneficial. Each time, pick a small portion of the process that does 1 thing and ask the people what can/does go wrong and how could we fix it?

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I second that going over real cases -- in your place or even in other places -- are often better remembered. Especially if personal injury or a lot of $ is involved.

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
I want the team to have a quick and easy understanding of why quality principles are in play. Just something educational to get the brain working in between the larger and in depth training courses that are already established. Why a metal detectable pen? Why magnets and screens? Why label checks? Why do we use blue plastic bags? I already have a successful training program and QMS system, I really just want IDEAS so that I can create content.
If I were to do that, I think I would generally format it around the theme "How you contribute to quality". E.g.,:
  • Thanks to your consistent use of a metal detectable pen risk of xyz is reduced/eliminated
  • When you perform this QC check, you are making sure that no one will get spoiled food (or whatever)
  • Thanks to your bringing to our attention the problems with xyz machine last month, you helped keep the line up.
  • By performing this seemingly odd step, you are instrumental in keeping us compliant with this CFR regulation which has this important purpose

It could be themed around 'risk, risk' risk', but that may be too abstract/tedious.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Quality, efficiency and effectiveness of daily work routines Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
M Layered Audit Checklist with focus on daily quality General Auditing Discussions 3
P Daily Rate to bill for a Site Quality Manager - Construction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Should a Quality Manager know daily production numbers? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
qualprod Ideas to stop bad practices in daily work ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
optomist1 Rates Daily or Hourly Process Improvement Training Consultants and Consulting 2
I Can subgroup size change daily? (X-bar & R) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
M Daily Temperature and Humidity Graph template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Marc The daily routines of history's most creative minds Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
T Are GRE words useful in American daily life? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
D Records Requirement - Daily Instrument Verification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
W Weighing Scale used in Phamaceutical Production - Daily Verification Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
M Checksheet for each QC department to record their daily tasks on an hourly basis Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
K Daily activities of a Newbie ISO Management Rep/Lead Auditor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
H Measurement System in Control if the Equipment requires Daily Calibration? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
M Establishing a QMS - What Daily/Weekly/Monthly activities in Auto Industry IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A Request for Daily Talking Point and Meeting Ideas Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
T Internal Auditing - Daily Audits and Checks Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S Selecting weights for daily Calibration Check - Using just one weight? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
S LDMS (Lean Daily Management System) HELP: No Daily Metrics in HR Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
Anerol C What activities are you doing daily as QMS Coordinator? Career and Occupation Discussions 3
D Template in excel (xls) on Attrition for daily manpower reporting Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
V Daily weight checks of floor scales General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
P Should Forms printed for daily use in the shop floor be controlled documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
Y SPC Daily Monitoring and Subgroup Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 19
Y Can I reduce the Sample Size? Sampling check of more than 1,000 pieces daily Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 25
Z Do we need to make documentation for Daily Activities of an Engineer? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
G The daily Dilbert - ISO 9001 and Six Sigma related Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 4
R Confusion - Which tools are used and why on a daily basis? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
T Manufacturing Defect Tracking - Program to record daily inspection records Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 12
B Headlines of Ironic Daily Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
R Document for daily check of analytical balance and criteria General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C SPC for calibration check data? Daily gram scales check - What is acceptable? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
C Measuring Daily Cycle Counting Inventory Accuracy Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Raffy Can our daily operations meeting be considered as Management Review? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 31
D Test Equipment at Work Station - Are Operator Daily Checks part of Laboratory Scope? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
S ISO9001 QMS: Quality Manual Examples & Templates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Quality Manager - Aerospace/Defense Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
U Need Help With API Q2 Quality Manual Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
Evelyn7E Quality is everybody's responsibility Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 22
F Quality Control in Electrical Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
Q Product Quality vs Product Defects Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
A Final quality control corrective actions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Question on Supplier Quality (SCAR) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Recommended software to send Quality scorecards to suppliers (external providers) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
G How to implement H&S and Quality Control Requirements in Contract for Potential Supplier? Contract Review Process 6
O What skills are most important for a new Quality Manager Career and Occupation Discussions 11
P Quality and Regulatory organizational structure Consultants and Consulting 2
P Examples of quality plans in IEC 62304 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
bobdoering Most typical universal Quality System Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 8