Data analysis Design of Experiments

Movic

Registered
Hello,

I have a full factorial 2^4 Design of Experiments for sauce analysis, so I have made 16 samples in total. Of each sample I made one large batch, so no replication.
These 16 samples were then subjected to a sensory panel consisting of 16 members. They all scored all samples on several sensory attributes twice, so for each sensory attribute I have 32 scores per sample.

My question now is, how do I put this in Minitab? I know that the samples itself are not made in replicates, because I made a batch of each, but the replication in analysis confuses me. Should I treat each panel member AND the repetitive tasting as a repeated measure, and take the average of all 32 scores per sample for analysis (so in total I will have 16 rows for 16 samples)? Or should I include extra rows?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
Hello,
My question now is, how do I put this in Minitab? I know that the samples itself are not made in replicates, because I made a batch of each, but the replication in analysis confuses me. Should I treat each panel member AND the repetitive tasting as a repeated measure, and take the average of all 32 scores per sample for analysis (so in total I will have 16 rows for 16 samples)? Or should I include extra rows?
Thanks!
I would have assumed and ensured that
* samples are coded ( panel members are blinded)
* at-least triplicate measurements.
* each measurement carried out on same day or different days etc
* measurements carried out over a period of time. ( if that is relevat)
etc

AND solution could depend upon, analysis of each panel-member rating of each sample wrt to determine if there is bias of a
* particular experiment leading to wider/broader range of assessment
* particular sample having a wider/broader range of assessment

in short,
I would add rows for assessment of each panelist ( if inter-panelist assessment is coherent) (==> 16 experiments x 16 panelists x 2 measurements each )
i would translate the assessment of sample by the ALL-panelists into a representative value ( viz., std deviation, average/median, etc) ( ==>16 experiments, multiple responses)

I would have assumed and ensured that
* samples are coded ( panel members are blinded)
* at-least triplicate measurements.
* each measurement carried out on same day or different days etc
* measurements carried out over a period of time. ( if that is relevat)
etc

AND solution could depend upon, analysis of each panel-member rating of each sample wrt to determine if there is bias of a
* particular experiment leading to wider/broader range of assessment
* particular sample having a wider/broader range of assessment

in short,
I would add rows for assessment of each panelist ( if inter-panelist assessment is coherent) (==> 16 experiments x 16 panelists x 2 measurements each )
i would translate the assessment of sample by the ALL-panelists into a representative value ( viz., std deviation, average/median, etc) ( ==>16 experiments, multiple responses)
Thanks for your reply. If I understand correctly, you would
1) Add values from all panelists and all measurements separately in Minitab
2) Calculate the average, standard deviation, median, etc for each sample
3) Perform further analysis, such as ANOVA, analysis of factorial design on these averages?

Or would you also use all data to perform these analyses?

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
Or would you also use all data to perform these analyses?
allow me to rephrase,
if within a given sample, variation among panelists is acceptable, then consider the average -std dev - range as responses. ( 16 experimens, and multiple responses)

otherwise, consider all responses as rows. ( 16x16x2 measurements )

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Design of Experiments or Factor analysis using existing data Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
S Minitab - Factor Analysis: Label on second series of data for Biplot Using Minitab Software 4
J ISO 13485 8.4 Analysis of Data - Procedure example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Difference between "data analysis" and "management review" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Likert Analysis of Data from a Survey Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
E Risk Analysis - Events which may cause to Data Loss ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
P Minitab Data Analysis - Understanding if a Process is in Control or Not Using Minitab Software 2
M Treatment system data analysis - Subject to CFR part 11? Entire system? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
N Tool frequency change - Data Analysis needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
R Need Help on Analysis: How to know potential causality model from historical data Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
R Variables Data Type Analysis help Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
M PCDMIS-Excel Data to Minitab for Analysis Using Minitab Software 2
F MSA - Measurement System Analysis Attribute Data Crosstab sheet APQP and PPAP 1
A Recording Data and Data Analysis 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Y Statistical Analysis of Road Traffic Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
M PhD Thesis Data Statistical Analysis Methods Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
R MCF analysis with Left & Right Censored (Truncated) Data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
R Sample vs. Population (Data Analysis) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
A Repairable System Reliability Analysis: Uptime/Downtime Hours, Failure Modes Data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
N Critical Analysis of Medical Device Bench Testing data ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
V MSA Attribute Data Analysis Study IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Data for Analysis - Construction Industry Table of Data for Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
W What kind of data is expected for a PPAP Material Analysis Report IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
optomist1 Data Analysis - Transform Data or Not Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
R Capability Analysis (using Histogram) for Subgrouped Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
F Dealing with, and Analysis of, Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
T SPSS for Analysis of Medical Data - Need help Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
H Minitab DOE Analysis of Data and Transforming Using Minitab Software 4
Q What data analysis software do you use? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
M Analysis and Use of Data clarification - TS 16949 Clause 8.4.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K Non-Normal Data Analysis Literature, Websites, Books for Learning Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
G The Documentation of Data Analysis for an ISO 13485 Medical Device Submission ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
C Process Capability - Attribute Data Analysis (Template) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
C Process Capability - Variables Data Analysis (Template) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
Q Regression Analysis for the Attached Data - help needed - TIA Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 13
F SPC Data Analysis - Excel Spreadsheet I can use for Diameters and Perpendicularity Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
J Applicable Statistical Analysis Method for this Data Six Sigma 17
C Who does the Analysis of Nonconformances and other Data Analysis? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 23
Y Analysis of Data Procedure: Requirements for OBL (ISO 13485) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Data Analysis - Johnson Transformation/Weibull Distribution/Capability Analysis Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
A Best Way for SPC via Optical Comparator with output to Computer for Data Analysis Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V Help on C Sat Data Analysis - Should I use discriminant analysis? Six Sigma 8
K Data Analysis of Milk Composition (Seven Parameters like Protein, Fat, Lactose, etc.) Using Minitab Software 18
7 Data Analysis of Tensile Strength Test - Graphical Presentation of Results Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T Analysis of Sample Data Sets - Incidence of Canine Rabies Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
K GR&R (Gage R&R) Analysis for Negative Measurement Data Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B FDA QSR Data Analysis & Trending Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
Hami812 Normality of Data Question - Minitab Analysis Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
Statistical Steven Continuous Data Analysis Sample Size Determination Six Sigma 3
somashekar Too much data, Too little analysis - Manual Stages Assembly Shop Data Collection Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2