Data Backup Plan - Document Reference

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
This might be getting a bit into the weeds on document control, but I work for a company which is comprised of several sub-entities (formerly their own companies) and the data backup strategy that we all use is stored on a server at another company. I don't have access to that link, but I need to reference our data backup strategy in my own document control SOP. Is it considered valid to keep a controlled copy of that strategy at my location? The first thought that comes to my when I put on my auditor hat is "how do I know when the original copy is updated?"

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Is it considered valid to keep a controlled copy of that strategy at my location?
Good day @ISO_Man ;
Great question! I think your "auditor hat" (conscience) is giving you some good advice. I'd listen to it.

So, I would consider simply documenting what you stated above (i.e. that an aspect of your document control [data back-up] is outsourced.)
Within that documented statement, it is possible to simply give a web link to the organization/site that maintains the back-up data?

Remember, your management system should always be written with those yet to come in mind. You and the current staff know where/how to access the back-up data and associated strategy, but will "Lucy" (metaphor for whom you may hire and who may be responsible for this in the future) know how to access this information?

I would not recommend duplicating the sub-entities documented strategy because, as you say, it may not be current.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
John gives good advice, but I would change one suggestion, at least as far as I understand the suggestion:

I would NOT put a link reference in your controlled document. I might reference the company being used by name, but certainly no more detailed than that. As a dynamic list of vendors and pertinent info, but not in a procedure document.

There are enough threads on here for NC and CA for procedures being too detailed (blue pen vs. black pen)...you would run into the same thing if the access link changes, or the company third party company phone number changes...don't paint yourself that thoroughly into a corner.

If you feel you need to be so detailed, I would at least add verbiage such as "or as updated" so it wasn't technically wrong in the future.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K I.T. Management in Clause 4.2.3? Control of Computer Data Backup and Access Security ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Storage of Electronic Backup Data? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
C Electronic Data Backup Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D Preservation of Electronic Data / Information Technology ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Comparing data from destructive testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
DuncanGibbons Technical Data Package vs Digital Product Definition APQP and PPAP 0
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0
F General Data Protection Regulation (GDRP) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
Z Minitab - Updating Graph with specific data points Using Minitab Software 2
E PEMS Hazards - IEC 60601 Clause 14.6 - Internal data use - Pressure sensor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
K Transform variable data into attribute data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 24
R Clinical evaluation without clinical data - MDR Article 61(10) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
H Capability Data for Paint Thickness on Painted Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
D BS EN 62304 - Medical-Relevant Data C.5 - Definition of IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
T Submitting MR Compatibility Data for 510(k) Cleared Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
S Quality manager considering data science Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
A What are Practical data center best practices IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S Average and standard deviation of Cumulative Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
V IS/ISO/IEC 17025:2017 Clause 7, sub clause 7.11 Control of data and information management ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
Watchcat CERs Literature Databases - Searching for data to evaluate EU Medical Device Regulations 16
D Transformation of Data Normality Failed Using Minitab Software 11
J Sample size for creating a data base as a reference to a tested variable Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
M GUDID data deficiency communication - IS THIS A SCAM? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 29
H Question about implications of performing Firmware upgrade via MDDS - Medical Device Data Systems 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
R Demonstrate how sufficient levels of access to data is achieved - Claims of equivalence EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Material safety data sheet (MSDS) related clause in IATF 16949 manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
CPhelan Using clinical trial safety data for evidence for CE marking EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Informational US FDA – MDR Data Files – Alternative Summary Report Data Since 1999 Available Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
CPhelan Do you require MDSAP for CE Marking of a Medical Device or is ISO13485:2016 with clinical data sufficient? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
M Data analysis Design of Experiments Using Minitab Software 3
silentmonkey Seeking efficient method to manage install base data Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
V Every good documentation practice observation is an data integrity issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
M Informational US – National Evaluation System for Health Technology Coordinating Center (NESTcc) Solicits Public Comments for Data Quality and Methods Frameworks Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Eudamed Data Exchange Guidelines Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – Eudamed Data exchange services and entity models introductions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
M Informational EU – M2M Data Exchange available services for accessing MDR EUDAMED data available for Economic Operator (EO) organisations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
V What is the criteria to cite an good documentation practices observation as an data integrity related issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
D Do we need normal data for gage r&r studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
M Automatic Data Gathering Requirements and Privacy Implications Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
R Over read of physiological data by technicians EU Medical Device Regulations 0
L How to evaluate the process capability of a data set that is non-normal (cannot be transformed and does not fit any known distribution)? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
M Informational EU – EUDAMED UDI Device Data Dictionary + data sets Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Mig Welded Components - IMDS International Material Data System RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
L SPC - Methods to collect data IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M Informational MDCG 2019-4 Timelines for registration of device data elements in EUDAMED Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational FDA Panel: Too early to pull textured breast implants over cancer risk, need more data Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Health Canada begins release of clinical data Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M (How To) Getting Data From Vision Machine To Reporting Software Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
S Minitab - Factor Analysis: Label on second series of data for Biplot Using Minitab Software 4