Data Backup Plan - Document Reference

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
This might be getting a bit into the weeds on document control, but I work for a company which is comprised of several sub-entities (formerly their own companies) and the data backup strategy that we all use is stored on a server at another company. I don't have access to that link, but I need to reference our data backup strategy in my own document control SOP. Is it considered valid to keep a controlled copy of that strategy at my location? The first thought that comes to my when I put on my auditor hat is "how do I know when the original copy is updated?"

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
Is it considered valid to keep a controlled copy of that strategy at my location?

Good day @ISO_Man ;
Great question! I think your "auditor hat" (conscience) is giving you some good advice. I'd listen to it.

So, I would consider simply documenting what you stated above (i.e. that an aspect of your document control [data back-up] is outsourced.)
Within that documented statement, it is possible to simply give a web link to the organization/site that maintains the back-up data?

Remember, your management system should always be written with those yet to come in mind. You and the current staff know where/how to access the back-up data and associated strategy, but will "Lucy" (metaphor for whom you may hire and who may be responsible for this in the future) know how to access this information?

I would not recommend duplicating the sub-entities documented strategy because, as you say, it may not be current.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
John gives good advice, but I would change one suggestion, at least as far as I understand the suggestion:

I would NOT put a link reference in your controlled document. I might reference the company being used by name, but certainly no more detailed than that. As a dynamic list of vendors and pertinent info, but not in a procedure document.

There are enough threads on here for NC and CA for procedures being too detailed (blue pen vs. black pen)...you would run into the same thing if the access link changes, or the company third party company phone number changes...don't paint yourself that thoroughly into a corner.

If you feel you need to be so detailed, I would at least add verbiage such as "or as updated" so it wasn't technically wrong in the future.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K I.T. Management in Clause 4.2.3? Control of Computer Data Backup and Access Security ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Storage of Electronic Backup Data? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
C Electronic Data Backup Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Data Analysis Software classified as MDSW IVD? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
G Trend analysis according to Article 88, MDR (EU), type of data point. EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Ed Panek Patient consent over data post processing in USA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A CE Mark - How do you keep data and test reports? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Z Shelf life automatically set to 6 months when no device performance shelf life data provide Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
E-QCDA Extracting data from Word Doc table to Excel Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
A Sample size selection for process validation - continuous data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
T CMM Max/Min data and Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
G Record test data into Word document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Stoic Warning letter examples for medical device companies related to the pharma guidance on data integrity? US Medical Device Regulations 5
C Primary data record ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
H Is it a requirement for run charts to have inspection data or can it have just a pass/fail check mark Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
I Brazil clinical data/trial requirement Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
A Part 145 Maintenance Data Review EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
E Electronic Data Management ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
D ISO 14001 Finding - Missing Safety Data Sheets ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
P Comparing Two Test Variables Using Attribute Data Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
K Before-After Data Analysis Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
D Gage type and data base maintainence Using GAGEpack Software 2
Dazzur Sharing Suppliers Performance Data with Supplier. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
M Conducting a clinical investigation with clinical data from India EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T Data types vs Mathematical operations Six Sigma 4
T Gage R&R study - Ordinal data Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
optomist1 Data Bias - Surveys Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V Levels of actions and consequence to data integrity US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
M ADME data- substances based MD EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B Can a software that receive data from a MD be classified as Class I?or is not a MD? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T Process Potential estimation for binary data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
RoxaneB Data Storytelling Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
MaHoDie Summative Evaluation with Post-Market Data? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
J EU Data Act Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
P Transferring medical data from a device (Sec 201(h)): regulatory implications US Medical Device Regulations 3
Z Change color or shape of individual data point in control chart Using Minitab Software 6
R FDA ECG Data Requirements Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
T SQL Server 2019 - Master Data Services - Validation needed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
C Elaborating a control chart with skewed data Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D Data normality versus capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
I In-Process Inspection Raw Data ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Class III device and shelf life data requirements US Medical Device Regulations 7
S Discussion on OBL and OEM test data for submission as per new EUMDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C How to place software version for SaMD product in HIBC secondary data structure (UDI-PI)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
PQ Systems Better Data Visualization & Communication with Statistical Indices Using SQCpack Software 0
PQ Systems Data Entry Workflows with SQCpack Using SQCpack Software 2
PQ Systems Data Security in the Quality Industry Using GAGEpack Software 0
B Establishing a Data Analysis Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Fjalar ISO 20417:2021: Technical Data (6.6.4 c) Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
Z PMS Data collection for SAMD SaaS from clients EU Medical Device Regulations 3