Data Control - What can one understand to be under the term 'data' in ISO 9001

W

warshe

What can one understand under the term “data” in ISO 9001:1994 ? I looked through the ISO dictionary and some books and could not get the answer. Please help me with the term “data” and give your ideas concerning the procedure of “documentation and data control”. Thank your for your help.

R

Roger Eastin

This has been discussed in this forum before, so you might want to try a search on this topic. In short, "data" refers to programming information used to run machines (NC machines, for example). You have to have a system for controlling this data, since it could impact the quality of your product. Some different methods have been discussed before, hence the recommendation to do a search.

E

energy

Al,
Another good example is the storing of procedures, forms, records and instructions on a company's intranet system. This "data" is to be backed up periodically and access controlled. At first when I read Roger's and your response to WARSHE, I was ready to reply "Bu..Sh..". After researching several reference libraries, I noticed that any type of electronic records are referred to as "data". So I also learned the difference, as it is understood to mean today. I'm not too sure if that is what it meant when the term Document Control was changed to Document and Data Control in the 1994 Standard. WARSHE, if you can't fight them, join them. I have.
energy

W

warshe

Sorry, I do not know what mean CNC programs, SPC programs, Gage programs. Please, explain me these abbreviations.
The only program which I use is SCALA, which deals with stocks control (Warehousing Department) and finances (Finance Department). By using of our SCALA we can obtain the information about item stock price and about the items which are at the moment available in our stocks. Is this program, I mean our SCALA, should be covered by requirements of 4.5. element about data control ? Please, give me the example of proper documents and data control. Or may be there are references to the topics in this Forum where the discussion of this matter yet took place. Please give the reference.

A

Al Dyer

CNC: Computer Numerical Control (paraphrased)

SPC: Statistical Process Control

Gage Program: An electronic (computer) program to collect data on gage performance and trends.

How do you control the revision level, content, accuracy etc... of your "SCALA" computer program?

I've never heard of it but it falls under the same umbrella of data control.

ASD...

A

Al Dyer

Energy,

Right on track, thanks for looking at the reference libraries before giving me the big one! It's been a rough week.

ASD...

W

warshe

Would you be so kind to give the refference to topic. I could not find one. Please, give a help.
In the book from Ronald A.Radice “ISO 9001” page 151 has been given the following explanation of “data”-
“Note that the standard suggests that “data” are also subject to this 4.5.2. clause. The standard does not specify which data. However, it can be assumed to mean either data within a subject document or data to which a subject document refers”.
I understood Radice’s explanation of “data” that way- contract, for example, is considered as a document and all the terms which are contained in the contract - time of delivery, requirements to product, terms of payment are data. Is my intepritation of term “data” right ? Please give your thoughts.

A

Al Dyer

Listen to Roger,

Data relates to electronic media.

CNC programs
SPC programs
Gage programs

The best example is from Roger, CNC programming. How do you control the electronic programs that tell the process how to function?

Documents are documents. When you think data, think computers and electronics.

ASD...

[This message has been edited by Al Dyer (edited 13 April 2001).]

W

warshe

I can not describe the functions of our program SKALA in details. The only thing I know is that a operator of Warehousing Department enters the information about the incoming item (for example, metal tube)-price, short description, quantity in SKALA, and the member of supply Department can obtain the information about the current stocks by means of opportunities of SKALA.
Please, give me the example of proper documents and data control or the reference to the topic in Forum. I will be very obliged for your help.

A

Al Dyer

Anybody else want to take a shot, I'm out of ideas! I think I'm on the right course but not getting my thoughts across.

ASD...

Top Bottom