Data control - What can one understand under the term 'data' in ISO 9001:1994

W

warshe

Data control

What can one understand under the term “data” in ISO 9001:1994 ? I looked through the ISO dictionary and some books and could not get the answer. Please help me with the term “data” and give your ideas concerning the procedure of “documentation and data control”. Thank your for your help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Roger Eastin

This has been discussed in this forum before, so you might want to try a search on this topic. In short, "data" refers to programming information used to run machines (NC machines, for example). You have to have a system for controlling this data, since it could impact the quality of your product. Some different methods have been discussed before, hence the recommendation to do a search.

E

energy

Al,
Another good example is the storing of procedures, forms, records and instructions on a company's intranet system. This "data" is to be backed up periodically and access controlled. At first when I read Roger's and your response to WARSHE, I was ready to reply "Bu..Sh..". After researching several reference libraries, I noticed that any type of electronic records are referred to as "data". So I also learned the difference, as it is understood to mean today. I'm not too sure if that is what it meant when the term Document Control was changed to Document and Data Control in the 1994 Standard. WARSHE, if you can't fight them, join them. I have.
energy

W

warshe

Sorry, I do not know what mean CNC programs, SPC programs, Gage programs. Please, explain me these abbreviations.
The only program which I use is SCALA, which deals with stocks control (Warehousing Department) and finances (Finance Department). By using of our SCALA we can obtain the information about item stock price and about the items which are at the moment available in our stocks. Is this program, I mean our SCALA, should be covered by requirements of 4.5. element about data control ? Please, give me the example of proper documents and data control. Or may be there are references to the topics in this Forum where the discussion of this matter yet took place. Please give the reference.

A

Al Dyer

CNC: Computer Numerical Control (paraphrased)

SPC: Statistical Process Control

Gage Program: An electronic (computer) program to collect data on gage performance and trends.

How do you control the revision level, content, accuracy etc... of your "SCALA" computer program?

I've never heard of it but it falls under the same umbrella of data control.

ASD...

A

Al Dyer

Energy,

Right on track, thanks for looking at the reference libraries before giving me the big one! It's been a rough week.

ASD...

W

warshe

Would you be so kind to give the refference to topic. I could not find one. Please, give a help.
In the book from Ronald A.Radice “ISO 9001” page 151 has been given the following explanation of “data”-
“Note that the standard suggests that “data” are also subject to this 4.5.2. clause. The standard does not specify which data. However, it can be assumed to mean either data within a subject document or data to which a subject document refers”.
I understood Radice’s explanation of “data” that way- contract, for example, is considered as a document and all the terms which are contained in the contract - time of delivery, requirements to product, terms of payment are data. Is my intepritation of term “data” right ? Please give your thoughts.

A

Al Dyer

Listen to Roger,

Data relates to electronic media.

CNC programs
SPC programs
Gage programs

The best example is from Roger, CNC programming. How do you control the electronic programs that tell the process how to function?

Documents are documents. When you think data, think computers and electronics.

ASD...

[This message has been edited by Al Dyer (edited 13 April 2001).]

W

warshe

I can not describe the functions of our program SKALA in details. The only thing I know is that a operator of Warehousing Department enters the information about the incoming item (for example, metal tube)-price, short description, quantity in SKALA, and the member of supply Department can obtain the information about the current stocks by means of opportunities of SKALA.
Please, give me the example of proper documents and data control or the reference to the topic in Forum. I will be very obliged for your help.

A

Al Dyer

Anybody else want to take a shot, I'm out of ideas! I think I'm on the right course but not getting my thoughts across.

ASD...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Data Control - What can one understand to be under the term 'data' in ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0
V IS/ISO/IEC 17025:2017 Clause 7, sub clause 7.11 Control of data and information management ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
P Minitab Data Analysis - Understanding if a Process is in Control or Not Using Minitab Software 2
pbojsen ERP Data Control Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Historical Data to establish Control Limits Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
P SPC Data Collection and Control Chart Type question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
K Records Control - Auditor Objection to Data being Recorded and Stored in PC Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 21
C AS9100 C Requirement for a Document and Data Control Table AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
Q Monthly Data Review through Control Charts - Monitoring Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K I.T. Management in Clause 4.2.3? Control of Computer Data Backup and Access Security ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Hami812 Collecting Data for SPC Control Charting Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
N Technology Control Plan with regards to Export Controlled Data Customer and Company Specific Requirements 7
K Document and Data Control Stamps ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
L Data Management and Web based Document Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
D How to implement Control of Employee Access to Client Data IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
O SPC Statistical Process Control with All data Using Minitab Software 4
G Control Charts - Plotting Unwanted Data Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
D How to use temperature and humidity environmental control data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
M 21 CFR Part 11 & Control of Raw Data Records used as input into Validated Spreadsheet Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
bobdoering Statistical process control for precision machining - Sample Data Imported Legacy Blogs 3
U Suitable control chart to use to monitor Corrective Action Response Time data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
L Injection moulding supplier control and data - Plastic head band Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Q Control of MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) - Document Control required? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
S Control of Confidential Data Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
B What type of Control Chart should I use for this Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
C Control chart for operators - Data for Setting Mean, UCL and LCL Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
R Procedure for Control of Data, Documented & Electronic needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Electronic work instructions - recommendations for electronic data control software. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M 21 CFR Part 11 Control of Data Requirements in light of ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) - I have data, now what? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
D What would be the appropriate control chart for the attached data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
U Quality control with non-normal, censored and truncated data examples needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
G Titles for Visual Control Systems (graphs) - I need some reference data Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C SPC: How to set up control limits on SPC chart based on historical data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S Is there a control chart for non-independent data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Control of Data Floppy Disks from Milacron Ferromatik molding machines Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Why the tight control limits? Histogram of the data is slightly skewed to the left Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
D Control charts - Seeking known data set to confirm my software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
a_bardi Help me define way of control electronic data files - Logs, etc Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
S Control Chart CpK dilemma - Defect Per Unit data on a single production line Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 16
D Control charts to trend data for multiple dependent variables? Hotelling's T^2 stat Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
J ISO 9001:2000 - 4.2.3 Control of Documents - Used to be document and data control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Predictive Maintenance vs SPC (Statistical Process Control) Data Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
D Does the data in a control chart have to be normally distributed? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 63
H Does Powerway's APQP - PPAP fulfill TS16949 document and data control requirements? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
Geoff Cotton TS 16949 - Control of Electronic Data Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C ISO 14001 Document and Data Control Corrective Action Request Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 31
A Control and registration of weight measurement results data Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
H Document and Data Control Insight Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4