Data sheet from McMasterCarr enough for RoHS/REACH documentation?

zork_14

Starting to get Involved
Hi,

I'm gathering documentation for RoHS and REACH compliance for a product I'm planning to sell. Many of my components come from McMaster Carr (MM) and the data sheet states that they are REACH and RoHS compliant. Is making a .pdf or taking a screenshot of the datasheet good enough to build my technical file? Let's for example consider this simple screw 91290A117 from MM (I cannot post a link because I'm a new user).

I've read an excerpt from EN50581:2012 (the standard that says what documents are OK for the RoHS technical file) saying that you can use:
1. a certification of compliance (CoC) from the company (with name and signature): the MM page does not have a signature.
2. a data sheet: "1. The data sheet must be from the original manufacturer". Can MM be considered as the original manufacturer?

If not, would that mean that for every MM component I should send an email to MM asking either for a certification of compliance or for the product number and manufacturer and then get the datasheet or CoC from the original manufacturer? One reason I selected McMaster is that the RoHS/REACH is so easy to check in a few clicks. I hope I do not have to go back to original manufacturers to prove my RoHS/REACH compliance.

Thanks a lot for any help

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
For many, the listing (even a screen shot of the MC website offering) would be enough...but be aware that if anything ever 'hits the fan', McMaster Carr will play the "we had every reason to believe it" card, and your company will bear the burden of proof.

The drawings for the black SHCS you reference are copyrighted to MC and they are selling it as their product...it would likely stand up as original manufacturer even though it is clearly outsourced.

At the end of the day...it'll be up to the lawyers.

zork_14

Starting to get Involved
Thanks a lot for your answer @Ninja.

The drawings for the black SHCS you reference are copyrighted to MC and they are selling it as their product...it would likely stand up as original manufacturer even though it is clearly outsourced.
That makes sense, I agree. In this example I should then consider MM as the original manufacturer. I am not supposed to know whether MM is outsourcing its parts and their data sheet is very clear on the compliance (it's probably different for Digikey for example where you can see the original manufacturer, I'll make another post later).

McMaster Carr will play the "we had every reason to believe it"
But is this not simply a widespread card? Or you mean that if they had issued an unambiguous CoC it would be more difficult to play that card?

if anything ever 'hits the fan'
Is it not very unlikely that things would turn bad for simple mechanical components from MM? If I did not have documentation available upon request, then yes it would be an issue. But if I have legally OK documentation (datasheet from original manufacturer), I believe that whoever would go after my parts would first need to prove that the part is not compliant?

Ninja

Looking for Reality
But is this not simply a widespread card?
Totally...and it works...that's why it is used so often.
But if I have legally OK documentation (datasheet from original manufacturer),
You just called two things equal {datasheet = legally OK documentation} ...they may or may not be...and I'm not a lawyer. If it is of enough concern, I would contact counsel experienced in this area.
Is it not very unlikely that things would turn bad for simple mechanical components from MM?
I would think it rather unlikely...but, funny thing is, no one ever calls me to ask what I think in cases like these...gotta make your own call there.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
BTW, I just noticed that these were your first two posts.

Welcome to the Cove! Glad to have you here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Material safety data sheet (MSDS) related clause in IATF 16949 manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
F MSA - Measurement System Analysis Attribute Data Crosstab sheet APQP and PPAP 1
L Can I use Technical Data Sheet as Material Test Results in PPAP APQP and PPAP 6
smryan How to get data (column varies) from one sheet to another? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 12
N MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Management Services - Advice needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
E What are the main reasons to update data in MDS Sheet? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
U Free Data Analysis Check Sheet & Calculator Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
T Status of Material Safety Data Sheet (OSHA Compliant) vs. 10993 Certificate US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
M Gage R sheet - Can someone make sense of this data? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
J Seeking: Gage Calibration Data Collection sheet example General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
E How do I enter materials into IMDS (International Material Data Sheet)? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 10
B Customer Requirement Data Sheet - Samples? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
L Material Safety Data Sheet - MSDS should specify how to make the material innocuous Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 10
Z Why Control Limits are not the same depending on type of exclusion of data points Using Minitab Software 7
D Question: How to analyze numerical and attribute data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
N Simple statistics questions on labor data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T Data verbiage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
S QR/2D Codes & Data Strings Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
A Need to calculate tolerance Intervals with a set of non-normal data and 3-Parameter Weibull distribution Using Minitab Software 0
B GR&R Destructive Data Analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
E Raw data retention for Diagnosis Results EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Y Exporting data to the cloud is a "Significant Change"? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Eudamed data fields EU Medical Device Regulations 5
J Need Help with FPY Data in Assembly Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
Q AMS 2750 E or F Continuous Furnace TUS Data Collection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Reduce occurrence rating based on the PMS data and customer complaint data ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
J Customer Complaint & SCAR, false data Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
Brizilla Employee Data Privacy Policy - ISO 9001:2015 requirement(s)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D Safety data sheets software REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
M Data Protection and Privacy Policy - looking for a template/example EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Non parametric test for semi-quantitative data. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
M Disabling measurement data during fault conditions IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
C EU MDR - Annex II 6.1 Pre-clinical and clinical data EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P Ppk results shown as asterisk after the transformation of Non-normal data Using Minitab Software 4
lanley liao How to correctly understand the bullet list d) of 6.3 Analysis of Data for API Spec Q1 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 7
Steve Prevette Informational I am presenting a webinar Thursday - "Data Driven Decision Making" - 19 November 2020 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
qualprod Best practice to ensure inputting of data in production Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 19
D Preservation of Electronic Data / Information Technology ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Comparing data from destructive testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
DuncanGibbons Technical Data Package vs Digital Product Definition APQP and PPAP 0
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0
F General Data Protection Regulation (GDRP) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
Z Minitab - Updating Graph with specific data points Using Minitab Software 2
E PEMS Hazards - IEC 60601 Clause 14.6 - Internal data use - Pressure sensor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
K Transform variable data into attribute data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 24
R Clinical evaluation without clinical data - MDR Article 61(10) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
H Capability Data for Paint Thickness on Painted Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
D BS EN 62304 - Medical-Relevant Data C.5 - Definition of IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
T Submitting MR Compatibility Data for 510(k) Cleared Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
S Quality manager considering data science Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19