Data verbiage

Tata347

Starting to get Involved
I have a (medical) customer that has a statement on their drawing, "supplier to provide certification of cleanroom processing and verification of dimensions as noted on IP(X)" unfortunately, the IPX only states 4X but does not call out the other three locations. we have only been recording one location ( i know its wrong & I've fixed it). i have asked that they denote all of the locations so that it is clear and not up to interpretation. I got push back saying the per ASME Y14.5-1944; they don't have to call it out.. but my problem is how to "verification of dimensions" .. what's your recommendation - do i need to supply them with all of the actual data points? Examples would be helpful.. this product will eventually have 10 data points collected (for two IP dimensions) and am asking them to clarify the requirement since what we've been sending for 5+ years is no longer acceptable... PS there's nothing wrong with the parts. New QA from THIER customer is pushing. help..

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Hi Tata347, First I suggest the approved drawing/specification be clarified and confirmed...it appears as though Y14.5 1994 (1944 a typo) is called out, this has been superceded some time ago...only the dwgs./specs. are confirmed can discussion be fruitful...

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I have a (medical) customer that has a statement on their drawing, "supplier to provide certification of cleanroom processing and verification of dimensions as noted on IP(X)" unfortunately, the IPX only states 4X but does not call out the other three locations.
What does "IP(X) mean?
we have only been recording one location ( i know its wrong & I've fixed it). i have asked that they denote all of the locations so that it is clear and not up to interpretation. I got push back saying the per ASME Y14.5-1944; they don't have to call it out..
What does the GD&T standard have to do with the situation?
but my problem is how to "verification of dimensions" .. what's your recommendation - do i need to supply them with all of the actual data points? Examples would be helpful.. this product will eventually have 10 data points collected (for two IP dimensions) and am asking them to clarify the requirement since what we've been sending for 5+ years is no longer acceptable... PS there's nothing wrong with the parts. New QA from THIER customer is pushing. help..
If you don't understand what they're asking for, it's a bit late in the game to be asking them about it, but you still have to ask them. There's a possibility that they don't understand what their customer is asking for.

Tata347

Starting to get Involved
What does "IP(X) mean?

What does the GD&T standard have to do with the situation?

If you don't understand what they're asking for, it's a bit late in the game to be asking them about it, but you still have to ask them. There's a possibility that they don't understand what their customer is asking for.

Thanks, they are the customer (it their end customer that asked for the dimensions and we didn't take them 10 times per the dwg. ... IPX is a critical dimension.. Ip1 is a hole 0.96-1.06 4x; while IP2 is a hole 1.47-1.57 6X.. my question isnt related to GD&T

Tata347

Starting to get Involved
Hi Tata347, First I suggest the approved drawing/specification be clarified and confirmed...it appears as though Y14.5 1994 (1944 a typo) is called out, this has been superseded some time ago...only the dwgs./specs. are confirmed can discussion be fruitful...
Yes, it is a typo and should be 1994; but my question still is for the interpretations of "verification of dimensions," while i am going back to them since the specific locations aren't called out only that the feature is 4 or 6 places

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Thanks, they are the customer (it their end customer that asked for the dimensions and we didn't take them 10 times per the dwg. ... IPX is a critical dimension.. Ip1 is a hole 0.96-1.06 4x; while IP2 is a hole 1.47-1.57 6X.. my question isnt related to GD&T
You said that your customer is claiming that under ASME Y14.5, they don't need to call out what you're asking for. ASME Y14.5 is the GD&T standard.

Top Bottom