Date & initials for cross outs of records?

Casana

Blueberry Nut
I have a colleague that insists that when a record is changed, say a technician crosses out a result and writes a new one, that an explanation for this change is required ALWAYS. Plus the cross out has to be dated & initialed. She even has a form that is attached to the record to explain why the cross out was required.
Try as I can, I can't find any requirement for this behavior in QS...
Since some of our work affects her group, she insists that WE follow this behavior as well, which my group is resisting because they don't see the value of it.
Any comments out there?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

tomvehoski

This is not a specific requirement under QS-9000. Initialing and dating can be used to satisify document approval requirements (4.5) if you are makeing handwritten changes to drawings, specs, procedures, etc. If you are correcting a mistake on a form, it is not a requirement. It is a matter of preference for many people, and even some auditors. You will see some earlier discussions about the use of pencil and white out in the forums.

This IS a requirement under ISO 17025 laboratory accredation.

D

D.Scott

I am no expert, but I think it is common practice in Labs and definately in accounting to require a single stroke through the original number so that the original is still readable. I have seen the practice of initialing and dating the change on legal/accounting documents as well.

I know of no QS requirement to do this but if your lab is accredited, you might find it in another requirement. Your accounting and legal departments will probably require it even if there is no requirement.

I guess the bottom line has to be - who is the woman doing the insisting? If she has made it a procedure for her department/function to do it that way you have to live with it till you can get the procedure changed. If you can't change it, it becomes just as auditable as any other requirement.

Good luck

Dave

Having workd for a number of years in the government sector,(electronics) the first word that would come to mind is "fraud".
Remember the guy who bailed out in Iraq and found that his radio did not work; that was a result of altered test documentation.
No records should be changed with out adequate information stating the nature of the change.
Too your friend, I say keep up the good work.

Casana

Blueberry Nut
Hmmm... it still feels like over regulating a simple writing mistake. I agree that mistakes should be crossed once only (not scratched out or - heaven forbid - whited out)but once you do that,I see no need to initial/date/explain this new number unless there's a reason (like a re-test). It makes it much harder to read, especially when you're trying to squeeze in the data into the small boxes on the paper. (I'd fix the space issue but its not my form to fix).
Ah well, back to reality...

D
Casana,
What if you have an employee who made a change and you need to know who and why? and when? It is not a QS shall to do it this way but it is a shall to document changes. The easiest way I know of and what I wrote into the procedure is one line through , sign and date (initials). They do it automatically now without even thinking and everyone in the establishment does it.
I believe probably the reasons for its existence is to prevent tampering and falsifying documentation.

A

Al Dyer

Dawn,

Agreed, but from the standpoint of an auditor it would sure raise my eyebrow and make me dig very deep if I saw records changed, even if it is written in the procedure.

Auditors look for consistency and as soon as one red flag is raised we/they get worried. More so on the initial audit than the survs. I suspect.

Just a point to ponder.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Is entering a Date against Initials a requirement? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
B New Release of CQI-12 Coatings Process (Revision 3- Release date- 7/2020) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
T Commission proposal being drawn up for postponement for date of application of MDR (2017/745) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
H CQI-15 2nd Edition - Date of initial assessment? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
I Revision History Date - date of updates or date of release? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Sterile medical device expiration date 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
T CE mark start date for a device EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Z Role of economic operators (EO) post the EU MDR Date of application in May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Date of Quality Management System - Training Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
CPhelan Nonconformance opened as incorrect expiration date placed on received product. Escalate to CAPA? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
K Labeling requirements - Date of manufacture for software devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Is a specific day required in an expiration date? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
L Staying up to date on Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
M GSPR 23.3 (h) Manufacturing date on sterile barrier EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Q MDR Effectivity date for Legacy Class I Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S When is the last date for transition to ISO/IEC 80079-34:2018? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
D FDA Date Format Requirement US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
T No Defined Shelf Life/Expiration Date - Disposable single-use, non-invasive, non-sterile Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S Expiration Date (use by date) on a product label ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
G Is the calibration due date of equipment used to be on calibration certificate ISO 17025 related Discussions 38
R Documenting Expiration Date Extension for a specific lot ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
N PPAP material certificate date IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
howste Merging sites on one AS9100 certificate - expiration date? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
D Document Management System - Revisions & Out of Date Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
T Effective Date on Documents 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 12
M Manufacturing date does not match release date? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
S What is the significance of UDI date requirements for Class 1 devices? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D Selling Medical Device Abroad After the Expiring Date of the EC Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Conformity vs. 8130-3 tag creation date Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
S Expiry date vs. Best Before Date - Reagents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
K Reviewing a supplier's ISO 9001 certificate issued for a future date Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
C Excel date format from Denmark to USA Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
L Transition date to IEC 60601-1-11:2015 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
K UDI Direct Marking Compliance Date Clarification and one other UDI question Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
DMLqms Medical Device Expiry Date or Manufactured date - really? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
I Label Expiration Date - Single Use Combination Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Setting initial Expiry Date of an IVD per BS EN 23640:2015 Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
D FDA UDI Class I Compliance Date Extended US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Q Predating Document Effective Date Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 18
Q TS / IATF 16949 Certificate Expiration Date Requirement Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
F Date of Manufacture and Expiration (Sterile Medical Device) question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Proposed System: Revision = Modification Date; Approval = Access Permissions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M When is a Manufacturing Date required on Medical Device Labeling? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
A Using Suture materials after their expiry date 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R ISO 80369-7 Publication Date - 10/14/2016 Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
P JIS T 0601-1:2014 Transition Date IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
B Compliance Date of EN 60601-2-10:2015 & related 60601-1-XX IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
M FMEA Corrective Action target date changed ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
H Incomplete forms and records missing date or a name Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
E Cutoff date for new ISO9001:2008 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12