Datum A and B are both Cylinders (GD&T)

Omar.

Starting to get Involved
I have a question that is just killing me. hopefully you guys can help me.

I have a bent tube and my Datums A and B are both cylinders. they are one at the end of the pipe, and one at the other end of the pipe.

I can not figure out wich of these axes creates a plane and in what direction. I mean avery datum creates a plane. but since these are axes, in what direction would be the plane created by datum A? and the same for Datum B. I am attaching the file I am talking about.

tnahks in advance.

Omar R.

View attachment 24288993_001_PDF_1_NO FORMAT.pdf

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Proud Liberal

Quite Involved in Discussions
Since the notes state that the part is measured in a constrained state, a fixture must be used which simplifies and complicates the issue. Fixturing datums A and B RFS will be a challenge but once you solve that, you can align off the fixture.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Datum B and C are each both vertical and horizontal - Tolerance of Position Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
2 GDT of datums - Putting Datum C on a drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
CycleMike GD&T - Hole pattern - Print (attached) has a single Datum Reference Frame Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
O Clamps in checking fixtures used to drive datum features. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
O Orientation with respect to a Compound Datum Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
O Thread Diameter as a Datum Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
T Establishing -F- datum - need advice Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
O How to establish Datum Planes with two cylinders? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
O How to deal with Multiple Datums - Position with respect to Multiple Datum Feature Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
C Flatness Measurement Errors from a Datum - Test Method General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K Assumed Alignment and Assumed Datum on a Print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Q as the Datum Maximum Material Condition then MINUS 0.020 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M Geometric Tolerance Bonus Datum question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C Positional Tolerance - Bonus / Datum Shift / ASME Y14.5M - Clarification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
R How to calculate MMC when is placed after datum Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
F Angularity of 2 Surfaces to a Datum which is a Radius Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Complex Surface Profile as a datum Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
L ASME Y14.5 Coaxial Feature Toleranced with Position w/o Reference Datum Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
D True Position with 1 hole (Datum B) at the Radius Part Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
S Does anyone have an AS9100 System Training Datum? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
optomist1 Feature Control Frame is applied to the end of a Cylinder - Datum Dilemma Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
optomist1 Parallel Cylinders (Dowels or Pins) As Datum Features Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
optomist1 Maximum Shift Tolerance Restrained Part - Calculation of Datum Shifts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
P Parallelism call out of .005" to Datum A - A GD&T question Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
optomist1 Coplanar Widths As Datum Feature Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
optomist1 Tolerance of Position - Pattern of Holes at MMC - Datum Feature Reference Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J True Position with only 1 Datum - Referenced datum is the plane the hole is on Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 17
CycleMike Profile of datum planes - Profile callout back to datum A (itself) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Definition GD&T Clarification - Callout for Profile of a Surface Reference to the Datum Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 34
G What is meant when a datum (feature) is called a "6 way"? GD&T help Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
B True Position without tertiary datum? Establishing a proper rotation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
B How to do a profile on a surface with one datum General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 23
gunnyshore Adding a new facility - do I need to submit an amendment to the MDL or MDEL, or both? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
M Which incubation condition should be selected to recover both bacteria and fungus effectively Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
M Aluminum - What is the difference between 6061-T6 and 6061-T651 (both per ASTM B211)? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D Doing both a top-down and a bottom-up risk assessment - How to combine ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
M Accelerated Ageing Test for Orthopedic Implants -- ASTM F 1980 or ISO 11607 or both are applicable ? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
G How is the labeling of units cleared for both Rx and OTC uses handled? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S Can we integrate both ISO 9001:2015 and API Q1 Management System Standards Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
Ed Panek User Feedback both negative and positive and acting upon those metrics 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Software requirement and design specifications - Medical device contains both hardware and software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
B Integrated management system - ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 - Is possible to have a joint certificate covering both standards? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
N Does anyone know a registrar that offers both ISO 9001 and ISO 17020? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
R Sequence and Interaction - Combined for both ISO 9001:2015 and EMS 14001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Ajit Basrur Do you monitor both 0.5 and 5 micron in ISO Class 8 cleanrooms? Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
M Does MDSAP replace ISO 13485, or do both have to be maintained? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
V Delete Restrictions to be enabled AT BOTH Operating System & Application Levels Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
N Medical Device which is both Class I & CAT III PPE CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
T ISO 9001:2015 vs AS9100D - Register to one or both Standards? Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
R DPPM? Scrap? Both? How to report Returns Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6