DCN or ECN for Initial Release of FMEA & CP and subsequent changes?

C

carryn1

I am new to the FMEA and control plan. My superior requested me to generate and documented the FMEA and CP, but its to use Engineering change notice (ECN) or Document change notice ( DCN) for the inital release and approval ? how about subsequent changes ? DCN or ECN ? :confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi carryn1,
Welcome to the cove!:bigwave:
In my previous company I work with, we have two change notice just like yours but later on the management team and I decided to use only one type of change notice, ECN.
For Engineering related such as FMEA, we use ECN for all subsequent changes, because in our document ECN will not only mean for Engineering but also for all other documents related to QMS.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Raffy :cool:

krishkaar

Involved In Discussions
Engineering change Note is used to refer to all changes which are needed either a specification change from a customer ( say, a revised drawing) or, organisation's own need after a process review.
Another instance could be a corrective/preventive actions arising out of a customer complaint.

ECN always results in an impact analysis to the processes affected by the change needed.

For an ISO/TS system, a re-validation followed by re-PPAP may also arise.

Any ECN prepared will result in impact to several system documents, say e.g FMEA/Control Plan/WI/SOP etc.
As these are controlled documents in a QMS, any change to these documents are addressed through a Document Change Process ensuring a Revision History Record.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Document Change Notice (DCN) vs. Document Release Notice (DRN) - Differences Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
Marc Acronym DCN - Acronym Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
R Do we need issue ECN (Engineering Change Notice) towards updated Material Specification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
R Parts included/not included in ECO/ECN Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
H Drowning in ECR/ECO/ECN Document Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J ECR to ECO to ECN Procedure and numbering system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
A AS9100. 7.1.3 Configuration Management. PCB production. ECN. Revision Control. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
N Engineering Changes (ECR, ECO, ECN) and how they should be Structured Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M ECN Required for Customer Labeling Change Request? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
L How to control some Documents and Records (ECN's and ECR's) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A ECR & ECN - Looking for advice and Spreadsheet Example Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Function of a Change Number in our ECN / document vault program as a tie-in Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
M Is ECN (Engineering Change Notice) Necessary for Part Number Change IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M CAR vs ECO/ECN - How do I merge CAR with ECO or ECR/ECN procedure seemlessly Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Looking for an ECO/ECN logging software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T From ECR (Engineering Change Request) to ECN (Engineering Change Note) - double work! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P Managing ECN (Engineering Change Notice) Blueprints Database..any solutions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
W Engineering ECR (Engineering Change Request) and ECN (Eng Change Notice) Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
O ECN (Engineering Change Notice) to ECR (Change Request) Database with Email Report Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
R What's the difference between Engineering (ECN) and Process (PCN) Change Notes? FMEA and Control Plans 4
S ECN Procedure or Work Instruction (WI) for Product Changes example needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Marc Acronym ECN - Acronym Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
G Engineering Change Request (ECR) / Notice (ECN) - Seeking Example Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
Raffy ECN (Engineering Change Notice) / ECO (Engineering Change Order) System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Initial PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 6
M MDSAP required for Device Initial Importer/Distributor into Canada? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
M Initial Importer/Distributor and Software Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
J Stage 2 audit initial cert, few data points ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Initial capability studies on similar parts APQP and PPAP 7
I If i do not want to be an initial importer should i register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
U Is Initial Importer Status Required if a Medical Device is Manufactured and Sterilized by an OEM in the US Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
J Furnace repaired - Do I need a new initial TUS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
I IQOQ or just initial calibration required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K FDA - Can we have more than 1 Initial Importer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
J How much to charge for helping a startup company with initial ISO 13485 certification? Consultants and Consulting 3
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
H CQI-15 2nd Edition - Date of initial assessment? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
MrTetris How to qualitatively assess initial probability ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
S Private Label Requirements, Manufacturer's Registration & Initial Importers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Medical Device Initial Importer (DII) Requirements - Delivery Address 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
J AIAG PPAP: 2.2.11.3 Acceptance Criteria for Initial Study (page 9, 4th edition) APQP and PPAP 1
L Why is initial production units, lots, or batches, or their equivalents required for Design Validation? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
S Initial Importer and ISO 13485 (MDSAP) - Will the US company be included? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Should an Initial Importer separately do Establishment Registration? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Y Time gap for First Surveillance Audit of AS9100D after initial certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
J Initial capability for injection molding part Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
T Customer special status and initial IATF certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
A Setting initial Expiry Date of an IVD per BS EN 23640:2015 Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
S Registration/Listing; Initial Importer - Private Label w/ Foreign Establishment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
V Inspection of Initial Importer/ Distributor Products and Materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1