Acronym DCP - Dynamic Control Plan - Ford

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
See this thread: Ford Dynamic Control Plan (DCP) template in Excel
and
More Control Plan Questions - Control Plans by Process

Howard says:
As far as I understand it DCP is the Ford methodolgy, if you look at page 83 of the AIAG book, it says that Ford is using in some operations.

Unless specifically asked for it you can use the standard control plan.

Bill Ryan says:
Howard is correct. The D ynamic C ontrol P lan is a Ford methodology which adds, basically, the Gage R&R and capability ratio "stuff" to the "basic" Control Plan. GM also used to use a similar format.

If I understand your questions correctly, the Control Plan should embrace your Process Flow from receipt of raw materials through receipt of product at your customer, including transport, storage, and inspection steps. What your customer is (should be?) interested in is your manufacturing process flow.

Regarding the "20 different parts" question - it is up to you. If the 20 different parts are similar enough to each other (family of parts) you might be able to get by with one PFMEA and Control Plan to cover all 20 parts. If, on the other hand, your parts are different enough that there is a different Process Flow, or there are different characteristics, you may be better served to have a separate, PFMEA and CP for each part.

B

brucep

Dynamic control plans

Does anyone out there have direct experience with DCP's?
Are they value added or simply another "Fordizm"?
My company has no business with Ford PTO, however, one of the Exec's is pushing this as the greatest thing since sliced breads.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.
Thank
Bruce

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Please see my second post in the thread Marc posted my quote from. As was pointed out, the DCP adds parts of the PFMEA, Gage R&R, and Capability Index columns. (Pretty "busy" for me on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper :rolleyes: )

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Bill Ryan said:
Please see my second post in the thread Marc posted my quote from. As was pointed out, the DCP adds parts of the PFMEA, Gage R&R, and Capability Index columns. (Pretty "busy" for me on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper :rolleyes: )

I agree--it's awfully busy. The B3 just can't resist tampering with things, and the problem is that when they tamper they just make things more difficult.

B

brucep

DCP's

So
If i already have a complete PFMEA and a Complete Control Plan can anyone see any value added benefit to creating the DCP?:bonk:

Thanks
Bruce

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

brucep said:
So
If i already have a complete PFMEA and a Complete Control Plan can anyone see any value added benefit to creating the DCP?:bonk:

Thanks
Bruce
Bye the Bye - Welcome to the posting side of the Cove :bigwave:

Short answer - Absolutely no value added.

Do you supply Ford? If so, you may need to go through the excersize. Most companies that I've seen do not put Control Plans on the floor anyway so it turns into a "window dressing" routine to satisfy a customer requirement.

(As always - JMHO)

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I agree with Bill. The standard justification for the DCP is that it provides an easily-accessible "snapshot" of its parent documents, but in my experience it's always best to see the primary data when possible. Just because a DCP says that GR&R is x%, for example, doesn't tell you what method was used, or whether it's percent of tolerance or percent of variation, or if there were multiple ignored UCLr violations. By the same token, you can't tell when Cpk results are based on processes that are wildly out of control.

F

FlavioLima

We're here in steel segment and started to use DCP since company start-up.
Our form gets some of PFMEA columns and process flow to create an unique doc to shop-floor guys.
Our experience shows it really makes sense if your process has a lot of details or is more sophisticated in terms of control. If you're manufacturing only some different products (half a dozen) and your process flow is simple (no more than 10 stages) normal CP is more suitable.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
It appears that during the software migration last October this thread was truncated from some earlier posts. (Just a "heads up")

Top Bottom