Debalancing machine - is SPC needed?

V

VojkoKrizman

Debalancing machine is consisted from two parts:1 measurement instrument and debalancing part. ALL parts (rotors for DC motors) are measured (100% inspection). If balance is more than prespecified target (eg. > 40 gmm) then parts go through balancing operation that lowers the debalance below target (measured again). Parts, that go to the next operation, than comes from two distributions (supposed nonnormal):1. good parts from initial measurement and 2. balanced parts. How to measure the Ppk (I understand that Cpk can not be computed). Is it necessary to compute Ppk, since it seems all parts are good but parts from the first distribution can be near the target (but below!)

------------------
Vojko Krizman
SLOVENIA

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

Laura M

My initial thoughts are you have 2 separate calculations to do, because you essentially have 2 different populations. You would want to know how capable the rework process is.

Also wanted to mention that my Great grandparents were born in Slovenia!

Laura

V

VojkoKrizman

Debalancing operation cannot be omitted.The result of this operation are parts that come from two distributions and we have 100% inspection. My main question is: If we have 100% inspection and all parts are good, do we have to compute Ppk, especially if all parts are good (but from distribution it comes out we have some fraction of nonconform parts!?)

L

Laura M

100% inspection is often the alternative if you do not meet process capability requirements. If you have a bimodal distribution due to 2 processes rolled in to one data set, then it is possible that each process is separatly capable, but when you combine them the standard deviation increases and the capabiiity index would indicate parts out of spec. Without knowing more about the prcocess, that's probably as much as I should say so I don't mislead you.

R

Rick Goodson

I agree with the advise Laura has given but wanted to add a thought. If the two separate processes are capable, why combine them and then and force yourself into a 100% inspection operation that may not be necessary? If you run both populations across the same secondary operation you could consider a 'short run' SPC technique such as a 'Nominal' or a 'Target' chart. Once again, as Laura stated, I would need to know more about the process before we could definitively say short run is the best option. If you want to investigate short run further try the International Quality Institute, http://www.i-q-i.com/index.htm or Dr Don Wheeler's website http://www.spcpress.com/

M

Mark M

Adding to the Balancing Process Characterization Issue ...

How are you going about calculating the process capability for a polar oriented process (imbalance amount and angle) when the usual capability calculation assume a linear measurement? Of course, the polar coordinates can be converted, but you still have two dimensions instead of one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
Marc The German Enigma Machine of World War II After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
R Revalidation machine line and Stability Studies impact. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
K Validation of new machine (second machine of the same type) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
P How far an operator can reach into a machine before it becomes an ergonomic problem CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
GreatNate Qualifying a CNC machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Machine Verification Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
F AS9100D Process Matrix for a small cnc machine shop AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
B Using non CE parts in a machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Marco Bernardi Plane measurement with a 3D touch machine like a CMM. Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
Marco Bernardi Diameters measurement with 3D touch machine like a CMM Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
S Companies that maintain your machine should be in ASL? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
GoSpeedRacer Veterinary anesthesia machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
H Should I mention machine/Equipment password In SOP? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
R How to properly use Survival Analysis to predict time to machine failure Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
K Mammography Machine Bench Testing - FDA 510(K) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
J Extent of Validation - New machine installed in manufacturing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
P Average access height into an industrial machine (average base plate height) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
B Machine process sheet requirements for pill bottling operation Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
B Does EMC Directive 2014/30/EU cease to apply when the Machine Directive 2006/42/EC is applicable? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Q Gage R&R for Instant Measurement Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
jjmusicjr Implementing Machine Replacement Part Reverse engineering technology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T QMS Template Help - Small machine shop/job shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D 4M (Man, machine, method, materials) Management Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
jjmusicjr Starting from scratch - a plethora of challenges for a new Lumber Mill Machine Shop Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
P Calculating a weight for a machine for the CE label CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
K Is Compliance Testing of IEC 60601-2-63 mandatory for Europe - Dental X-Ray machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K IEC 60601-1-9 Compliance mendatory or Not - CT Scan machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
M (How To) Getting Data From Vision Machine To Reporting Software Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
G Assigning a calibration tolerance - An x-y coordinate machine - Uncertainty as my verification tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
T EN 10204 3.1 Inspection Certificate - Machine Shop Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
N IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - Calibration of Nikon machine in factory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 24
M AS9100d (section 7.1.3) example of compliance in machine shop environment. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
A Statistic Tools to Know Capability of Sealing Machine for Seal Width Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
J Help with Arburg Allround 320s Injection Molding Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P Injection Molding Machine Validation Scope Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
G Uncertainty of staging a short line scale standard on longer measuring machine? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
G Can Measurement Machine Bias be part of Uncertainty? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G How to include machine error in uncertainty calculations? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
B ISO 9001:2015 for a Small Machine Shop need Resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H AS9100D Cert question - Small machine shop - Where can I buy a certificate? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
A Machine Relocation within Facility - Is re-validation required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
H Validating Nondestructive leak testing machine Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
WEAVER Can automatic machine testers be subject to GR&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
C AS9100 rev D 8.5.1 c 2 - Defining the Machine in-process frequency per ANSI/ASQ Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
D Need Resource for Industry Data - standard metrics for machine shops Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
T ISO 12100:2010 - Machine Safety Requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
S Need Continuous improvement Suggestions - Small (30 of us) all-CNC machine shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
J Mechanical Press Machine Foundation Requirements and Recomendations Manufacturing and Related Processes 2