SBS - The best value in QMS software

Deciding whether or not pre-market clinical investigation is required for low risk device

DamienL

Involved In Discussions
Hi,
I've a particular scenario that some of you involved in class i or iia might be able to relate to. Our device is a class i device for holding a dressing pad in place - similar to a compression sock. The benefit of our device is that it can be used in place of medical adhesive tape which commonly causes adhesive damage to the skin - so significantly improved benefit/risk ratio over the "predicates" (if I'm allowed use that term). Our device is not in direct contact with the broken skin, it's just holding the dressing in place.

So a pretty straightforward device and before MDR any suggestion of a clinical trial to get this to market would probably have been laughed at. But my interpretation of the MDR is that it doesn't seem to care that our device is low risk Class i, it still wants a clinical evaluation to be based on clinical data (article 61.1) - and that this data has to come from either our own device (via a pre-market clinical investigation) or from an "equivalent" device (article 2.48).

There's lots of clinical data available on the use of medical adhesive tape, so we want to leverage this and avoid a clinical investigation with our own. In terms of equivalence, our device ticks the technical and clinical characteristics boxes in the MDCG guidance 2020-5. But not the biological one - which requires that they be "the same". However, we have plenty of biocompatibility testing done to say our material isn't a concern. The question I have is can we claim equivalence on the basis of MDCG 2020-5 even though our material isn't "the same"? The MDD and Section 3.2 of the guidance seems to suggest we can't, but then 4(a) of the guidance seems to suggest a path: "Consideration must be given to the characteristics mentioned above and a gap analysis should be conducted by the manufacturer to evaluate any clinically significant difference(s)", where the "gap" would be filled in with our biocompatibility testing data.

I imagine this is a common enough scenario, so I'm wondering what people think - can we avoid a pre-market clinical investigation here? If not, then something is seriously wrong with the system.

Thanks,
Damien

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dgrainger

Trusted Information Resource
I can't see how your device is technically or clinically equivalent to tape - you seem to be describing a completely different method for keeping the dressing in place and claiming decreased damage to skin.

A CI is the best method of gathering the data to back the claims.

DamienL

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for your comments and I completely take your point. However, I'm still very curious as to what leeway can be extracted from the MDR for very simple/low risk devices.

If we just forget about the example I gave as being a bad one, and instead imagine we have any class i or iia device where you've ticked both the technical and clinical characteristics boxes but you use different materials which present no biological risk. In that instance, do you think you could still claim equivalence on the basis of MDCG 2020-5 by filling in the gap with biocompatibility testing? It might be a bit "philosophical" at this stage, but this is one of the simplest device evolutions I can imagine (a stronger/faster material) and I find it hard to understand how the MDR could see value in doing a Clinical Investigation here.

Thanks,
Damien

DamienL

Involved In Discussions
Just wondering if anyone can shed some more light on this question for me. Basically looking to find out if the MDR always requires you to do a pre-market clinical investigation if you can't show "equivalence" for a Class i/iia?

The bar for equivalence per Annex XIV(3)/MDCG 2020-5 is so high for a low-risk startup that I'm thinking there must be a way. For instance, if I invented a plaster from a slightly different material than all other plasters, but with enhanced biocompatibility, would I still need to conduct a pre-market clinical evaluation? Article 2.48 seems to say I have to, as I would have no "clinical data" to use in my Clinical evaluation (there would be plenty of data in the literature for similar devices, but nothing for an "equivalent" one). Surely this can't be the case?

Philip B

Involved In Discussions
As I understand it you don't need to do a clinical investigation if the clinical safety of your device can be adequately demonstrated via your clinical evaluation (desk based identification, appraisal and analysis of available data) and there are no unacceptable residual risks. We take this approach for our Class I / IIa devices and I don't think this changes greatly under the MDR. The costs of a clinical investigation would blow thousands of low risk manufacturers out of the marketplace, including us. Make sure you have a robust risk file and clinical evaluation (following MEDDEV 2.7/1) and providing you genuinely don't have any unacceptable residual risks then you should be fine. Claim equivalence for those aspects you can, where you can't eg biocompatibility use your own internal data.

DamienL

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for the response Philip. What you're saying makes complete sense to me, but I simply don't see the MDR allowing for it. From my reading of Annex XIV part 1.b, the "available data" you talk about for the Clinical Evaluation must be from an "equivalent" device (see article 2.48). There may be plenty of data in the literature for similar devices, but "equivalence" per Annex XIV, part 3 is a different beast. The bar for equivalence is just ridiculously high and seems from MDCG 2020-5 that you can't just "fill in the gaps". So straight away, any start-up is at a dead-end - must do a clinical investigation, even for a class I?

What I'm hoping to get through this thread is for someone to show me that my interepretation above is wrong. If you or anybody else could point to the clauses in the MDR that allow us your commmon sense approach for low risk devices, I would be forever grateful. I do believe it has to be there somewhere, I'm just completely stumped though trying to find it.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Deciding whether or not a new 510k is needed Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
J Deciding between Professional Use or Lay Person IVD Test - Human fecal stool specimens Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
R Deciding if a medical device shall be supplied sterile or not Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
A Trimming the Inspection Report - Deciding which are the CTF dimensions Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
J Deciding what Raw Materials we should require CofCs for ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
shimonv Deciding When to Submit a 510(k) for a Change to an Existing Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
B Deciding when to submit a Special 510(k) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
A Deciding on when to go for Cp & Cpk or Pp & Ppk Study? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
R Deciding what Processes need Control and Monitoring - 820.70 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
V Is permission from Registrar needed for deciding on in-house calibration? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Deciding if Calibration is needed for Production Instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
A Process FMEA - Help in deciding "detection ranking" of a failure mode FMEA and Control Plans 5
Q Deciding HOw to Measure Alloy Hardness after Casting Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
A How to make sure whether the predicated device is marked with EC certificate? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N Whether your NB is pushing you for MDR? Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
K Question on whether IEC 60601-2-62 standard is applied IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
U Whether First Article Inspection Report- FAI is mandatory for regular Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 4
V Regrinding Material - Verify whether a product contains any regrinding material Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
S Contract Manufacturer Question - Whether or not the reference to the ex-CMO ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
F ISO 22000 Clause 7.4.4 to determine whether a control is a CCP or and OPRP Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
A Cnpk (Non-Parametric Capability Analysis) to assess whether the Process is Stable Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
J Trying to determine whether a steel plate is bowed with a Faro Arm Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8
B How do you measure whether a QMS is good or bad? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
S Whether some paths exist for leakage to get outside the LCD? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
D ISMS Asset Register - How to rate whether the asset is critical? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
1 How I can tell whether or not my QMS is MDD compliant EU Medical Device Regulations 4
O Seasonality - How can I be sure whether the seasonality is available or not Using Minitab Software 2
P Whether the medicine spoon, medicine dropper and NASAL ASPIRATOR are medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Root Cause Analysis - Whether one can do RCA for Positive Findings Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
I The Status of EN 550 and Whether it will be Replaced Soon by ISO 11135 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Whether or not this Purchasing Process get NC during Audit?? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B How to identify whether my data is non-normal? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 26
Manix WEEE and the confusion surrounding whether we fall into the scope of the directive! Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 9
S I want to know whether Development is a part of Design or not. Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
S Whether the word BETA means prototype samples or the Production samples IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
N Determining whether a process yeild is normal or non-normal distribution? Six Sigma 10
S Pre-Submission for Breakthrough Device Designation - What's the threshold? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
C EU MDR - Annex II 6.1 Pre-clinical and clinical data EU Medical Device Regulations 4
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
H Queries: RFD & Pre-RFD Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Design file for pre-existing products - Inputs and Outputs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Gauge R&R on pre-set torque wrench Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Pre-Production Capability Assesment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
M Is there any pre-defined Control plan format/template acc. VDA? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
D Pre-Submission after 510(K) Submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
J Pre-clinical Studies for RUO Product Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M Informational Health Canada guidance document – Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Custom-made implants (Class IIb) and pre-commercialization clinical trials in Spain EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Shipping Medical Devices to US before pre market clearance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1