Decision to file a new 510(k) - ETO (Ethylene Oxide) Sterilization

N

NathanJR

OK, so this one should be an easy RTFM, but as usual the guidance is a little vague.
Situation: Class II medical device provided sterile by EO, validated and approved to be sterilized by the end user by EO. I would like the end user to be able to use sterrad sterilization also. From K97-1: "Changes which have a lower sterility assurance level (SAL) would routinely need a new 510(k) as would those which ordinarily affect the integrity of the device materials."

OK, so the SAL is 10^-6 on both, so no worries there, but does the FDA consider Sterrad something that would "ordinarily affect the integrity of the device materials?"

In The updated 510K sterility review guidance K90-1, they classify "combined vapor and gas plasma" sterilizers as "non-traditional", however at least for endoscopes it seems to be the gold standard.

I know I will have to get ASP to perform efficacy and functional validations, but I can't discern how much I would be at risk if I didnt file 510K and have them come back later and say it is not substantially equivalent and take my device off the market until a new 510k is approved.

BONUS ADDITIONAL GREY AREA!
I will have to make a design change to my lumen to meet lumen claims of sterrad. (pebax -> PTFE)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hello Nathan and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

I would guess that if you change a generic polymer (Pebax -> PTFE) of a significant component you'd probably need a new 510k, because it could raise new technological issues regarding safety or effectiveness. Apart from looking at sterilizability and the effects of the sterilization on the device properties, there may be other consequences for changing materials.

Cheers,
Ronen.

M

MIREGMGR

The user guide for the Sterrad 200 at https://www.jnjgatewayifu.com/eLabelingContent/Asp/USENG/99712_01_ST200EnglishDom_47968.pdf has a procedure for determining material and lumen-geometry suitability.

The Sterrad 200, for instance, is limited to lumens that are at least 6mm in diameter and no more than 310mm in length. About half the materials in the "acceptable" list are marked with a material-deterioration-over-multiple-cycles qualification, which I think would cause the FDA's "integrity of materials" condition to apply.

I assume you won't be stating qualification to use all Sterrad, but rather either qualifying for one or more specific Sterrad machines or validating for a specific range of Sterrad process parameters that your customers then can match to their Sterrad machine's performance.

Given that, I think your decision process is two step:

1. OK per the appropriate ASP decision tree(s), without a deterioration-of-material issue?

2. Consistent with the other requirements identified in your sterilization validation, i.e. bioburden sensitivity, etc.?

Last edited by a moderator:
N

NathanJR

Thanks for the replies!

Ronen, following the chart in K97-1 flowchart C for materials change brings me to C2.2.1 "Consider the requirements of ISO 10993-1, is additional testing required?"
Is this a definitely a yes? -> which would point you to a new 510K, or is using a common and well characterized material like PTFE (which is used for this component in literally all other predicates) acceptable without testing?

MIREGMGR

Yes, we would follow the ASP guide for the NX and 100NX and meet the lumen claims and material claims. I believe validation on the NX is considered worst case for those two.

We want to market for a very limited number of uses, maybe 10- I was going to run the functional validation to maybe 25-50 cycles.

We have a cleaning protocol which is validated for use by the end user, which would probably need to be re-validated with the new lumen design.

Thank you again. I wish I would have found this place a long time ago.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Ronen, following the chart in K97-1 flowchart C for materials change brings me to C2.2.1 "Consider the requirements of ISO 10993-1, is additional testing required?"
Is this a definitely a yes? -> which would point you to a new 510K, or is using a common and well characterized material like PTFE (which is used for this component in literally all other predicates) acceptable without testing?
Normally, biocompatibility testing is required on the finished device as a whole.

:topic:

I wish I would have found this place a long time ago.
You can thank Google for giving the Elsmar Cove a hard time.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Masters Degree - Advice about a decision I"m going to be making Career and Occupation Discussions 9
A Medical Device Vigilance decision tree for Japan for class 2 devices. Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Clinical Decision Support Software Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – Commission Implementing Decision (EU) as regards the designation of expert panels in the field of medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Commission Implementing Decision (EU) 2019/939 of 6 June 2019 designating issuing entities designated to operate a system for the assignment of Unique Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA – Patient-Reported Outcomes (PROs) in Medical Device Decision Making Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA – Patient Preference Information (PPI) in Medical Device Decision-Making Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Medical Device Vigilance decision tree FORM - Please share yours EU Medical Device Regulations 14
O Reinstating a disqualified supplier—questions to ask before making a decision Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
P Is it possible to make an educated decision using a very very small sample size? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M IATF 16949 Cl. 8.7.1.4 - Risk analysis for decision making about rework IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L A Complete Control Chart Decision Tree Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
C IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.1.2 d) Multidisciplinary Decision Making IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Policy or Good Guidance for a Traceability Decision Tree (Serial and Batch Numbers) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
somashekar Uptodate.com: A clinical decision support resource - Point-of-care decisions Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
Chennaiite Can an Auditor question Top Management decision to approve deviation? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
J Decision Tree using for CCP (Critical Control Points) Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
AnaMariaVR2 Structured Approach to Benefit-Risk Assessment in Drug Regulatory Decision-Making Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
S Supplier Disapproval Decision Process Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
N Decision Making... (joke) Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
R Risk Analysis and Hazard Identification concerning Clinical Decision Support Systems ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
P CMC Decision 3 - Manufacturers Address Content Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Sidney Vianna AS91X0 Transition Deadline - New IAQG Decision - 2012 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 54
L Decision Matrix to help Operator driven Continuous Improvement Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
F ISO 11137 - Flow Chart | Decision Tree sterilization Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
Q Exactly which are the records needed by ISO9001? or is it my decision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition 3rd Edition FAQ?s - Certification Decision 5.12 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K Seeking help in making a decision - Project behind schedule Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
S What decision rules should be applied for x bar-R chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
R EU Medical Device Change Decision Tree (when to notify the NB) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Z Is adoption of ISO 9001 a strategic decision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
S Federal Register - Software Reclassification (MDDS) - Final Decision by FDA yet? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
A Special 510k Update - Cease Sales and Distribution until a Decision is Rendered? Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
M Transforming a Decision Tree into Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7
L Can one question a 510(k) decision? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Manix The Toughest Decision I have ever had to make! Director or Quality Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 16
T Change Control Decision Tree - When medical devices that are approved with a PMA Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D PA, CA and Risk-Based Decision Making - Need Input Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 7
P This Is It - Tomorrow is the final decision - Finished the certification audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
D Flow Chart Decision Symbol Arrows - Which flowchart is correct? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 32
C Is Risk Based Decision Making part of Preventive Action Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
P MSA Study Types - How to make an informed decision about a gauge Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
C Need guide to make judgement for decision. Career and Occupation Discussions 5
T Omitting Decision to Quote Procedure - Small engineering consultancy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Supplier Qualification/Selection and Decision Methods Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
C Need opinions to make decision on New Job position Career and Occupation Discussions 18
H Countermeasure Answer on Decision Making - Need help Nonconformance and Corrective Action 16
A Looking for an FDA MDR/Incident Report Decision Tree ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Z MEDDEV 2.12-1 Rev 5 Reportability Decision Tree? Vigilance Reporting Procedure EU Medical Device Regulations 18
J Guidance Manual from the National Center for Environmental Decision-Making Research Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2