SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Declaration of Conformity for a Class III Medical Device Implant

D

danush

Hello all!

My company developed a class III implant and we are now in the process of conformity assessment. One of the reviewers of the technical file raise the follwoing issue related to DoC:
According to the general interpretation by authorities, the declaration of conformity has to be limited to a series of specific devices (SN / LOT) manufactured or limited validity (expiry date) of the declaration should be indicated.

It seems that he requires us to specify all LOTs that we plan to manufacture or limit the DoC itself in time, which is not in line with MDD requiremenst, as far as I understand.

Can anyone clarify?
Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

rob73

looking for answers
I am a bit sketchy on higher class products but I think it depends on which annex your classification route took you down. In annex III I think (could be wrong) your NB would asses each batch for conformity, therefore a batch number on the DoC would be appropriate.
Our product are Class 1, we do not identify by batch, we only state when the product was first placed on the market.
Rob

There are several routes available to allow the Declaration of Conformity. These are described in Annexes II to VI of the directive.

Limiting a DoC to specific lots is appropriate if you are using annex VI -product quality assurance (probably in conjunction with annex III - EC type examination).

If you have an Annex II (Full quality assurance system) then there should be no need for the DoC to be limited to specific lots. But, of course, Annex II for a class III product is difficult to achieve.

Last edited:
D

danush

We do apply for Annex II for which the directive says ' This declaration must cover one or more medical devices, clearly identified by means of product name, product code or other unambiguous reference' so we provided a list of catalogue numbers for our product line.

c.mitch

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello all!

My company developed a class III implant and we are now in the process of conformity assessment. One of the reviewers of the technical file raise the follwoing issue related to DoC:
According to the general interpretation by authorities, the declaration of conformity has to be limited to a series of specific devices (SN / LOT) manufactured or limited validity (expiry date) of the declaration should be indicated.

It seems that he requires us to specify all LOTs that we plan to manufacture or limit the DoC itself in time, which is not in line with MDD requiremenst, as far as I understand.

Can anyone clarify?
Thanks.
Hello danush,

If you apply article 11.1.a and annex II of the EC directive, the most common case for class III devices, then the declaration of conformity shall contain:
-the list of products, clearly identified as indicated in annex II.2
-an expiration date of the conformity.
The conformity can be valid a maximum of 5 years, see article 11, paragraph 11. It is the decision of the notified body to fix the duration of validity.

Maybe the reviewer was talking about this expiration date.

Regards,

Mitch.

D

danush

c.mitch,

i think you're right. i haven't considered the fact that CE need to be re-newed and it can be a validity limiting factor for DoC.

thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J EU Declaration of Conformity for Class I EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R IVDR CE Mark for Class A products - Declaration of Conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
N Declaration of Conformity from the Notified Body for our Surgical Glove Class IIa CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
J Notified Body on Class I Declaration of Conformity? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
JoCam GMDN code in Declaration of Conformity EU Medical Device Regulations 4
CharlieUK Informational ADCO MED EU DECLARATION OF CONFORMITY TEMPLATE CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
Aymaneh Traditional 510(k) Declaration of Conformity Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
R Declaration of conformity as per EU MDR (2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
L MDR 745 - EU Declaration of Conformity - Signature Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A EC declaration of conformity - In the event clients ask for a copy CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
L Content of Declaration of conformity (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N Declaration of Conformity for Product from Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Connection between Technical File and Declaration of Conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
I Who is responsible for signing the Declaration of Conformity and what is their liability Imported Legacy Blogs 0
F Declaration of Conformity with Electrical & Electronic Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A 93/42/EEC Declaration of Conformity and Harmonized Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 12
K DoC (Declaration of Conformity) for Custom Made Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M R&TTE Directive - Declaration of Conformity Requirement CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
somashekar Do NB's want the Declaration of Conformity with GMDN code? EU Medical Device Regulations 14
B Cost to a dealer for a "Declaration of Conformity " "Gost-R" in Ukraine? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Declaration of Conformity for an Investigational product EU Medical Device Regulations 3
JoCam ATEX - Responsibility for a Declaration of Conformity Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
M Declaration of conformity for "orthopedic soft goods" EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Revising Declaration of Conformity and Classification Rationale EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Content Requirements for a Declaration of Conformity (CE Marking) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
J RoHS2 Declaration of Conformity requirements RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
Q Medical Device Declaration of Conformity Approval Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 8
C PED Documentation (certificate and declaration) for Conformity Validation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Is there an Expiry Date for "Declaration of Conformity" (DOC) for Medical Devices? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
rob73 Harmonised Standards on DoC (Declaration of Conformity) EU Medical Device Regulations 10
I Question on Declaration of Conformity for device subcategory or generic device groups EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E What is missing in the attached Declaration of Conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
rob73 Length of validity of a self certified Declaration of Conformity (DoC) for CE mark EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Declaration of Conformity Paper Copy Shipped with Product? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Declaration of Conformity ? True site of Manufacture? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
T Declaration of Conformity acording to the ZLC 3.9 A4 Conformity Assessment EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A EC Technical File DoC (Declaration of Conformity) Content Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 8
G Declaration of Conformity and Standards - List of standards on your DoC's? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
R Declaration of Conformity - MDD (Medical Device Directive) 2007/47/EC or 93/42/ECC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
S Declaration of Conformity to Design Control 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S Declaration of Conformity to Design Control 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
M Declaration of Conformity - Structuring EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Declaration of Conformity for non-CE Mark products CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
somashekar Intent of "Declaration of Conformity" - MDD ANNEX II EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Q Authorized Representative - Declaration of Conformity Signator CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
J Standard Version(s) on Declaration of Conformity (DoC) - Necessary or required? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Lisbon customs requires for MDD declaration of conformity? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J Declaration of Conformity - Updating the DofC to MMD 2007/47/EC EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N Declaration of Conformity - New directive, new declaration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A Non-EU countries who use your EC Certificate & Declaration of Conformity Other Medical Device Related Standards 3