Decontamination responsibility on customer complaint investigation

I am working in a medical device company and we often receive contaminated samples for investigation, our product is administration sets used with infusion pumps for chemotherapy, parental nutrition etc; When our products are coming under customer complaints from the hospitals, sometimes contain blood, as they are in direct contact with the patient. The issue here is, who's responsible to clean/decontaminate the samples before shipping back for investigation? and what if those samples contain medicine fluids or drags for chemotherapy as well; who is suppose to clean and empty the samples?
Couriers also refuse to ship these samples containing drugs or they ask a lot of money for a dedicated and special shipment.

Any feedback on this is more than welcome and thank you in advance,

Kind regards,
Thanos

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am working in a medical device company and we often receive contaminated samples for investigation, our product is administration sets used with infusion pumps for chemotherapy, parental nutrition etc; When our products are coming under customer complaints from the hospitals, sometimes contain blood, as they are in direct contact with the patient. The issue here is, who's responsible to clean/decontaminate the samples before shipping back for investigation? and what if those samples contain medicine fluids or drags for chemotherapy as well; who is suppose to clean and empty the samples?
Couriers also refuse to ship these samples containing drugs or they ask a lot of money for a dedicated and special shipment.

Any feedback on this is more than welcome and thank you in advance,

Kind regards,
Thanos
Hi Thanos. I have dealt with this situation in several companies and I have always put the responsibility for cleaning and sanitizing on the customer. Always.
I cannot put my coworkers at risk of disease. We are not a sterilization or cleaning company and don't have the equipment or training to deal with contaminated product.

How I handle this is that whenever a return request is received I send the customer a blank certificate of decontamination. This certificate requires that the customer certify that the product has been fully decontaminated and there is nothing hazardous left (biological or chemical) when it leaves their hands.

I required that the completed and signed certificate be emailed back to me when they ship, and place a copy in the box with the parts, on top of the packaging.

If they refuse to comply, they can't return the part and will get no investigation, credit, replacement, etc.

If a return is received with no certificate of decontamination, the we will not open the box until one is received.

This is all written at the top of the form so the requirements are clear.

You must protect the safety of your co-workers. That's the bottom line.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Scott gave you excellent advice. I would, however, make one point. DO NOT trust any paperwork blindly, such as a certificate of decontamination, to lower your guards.

Sometimes, certificates are not worth the paper they are written on. Make sure your workforce still take precautions and examine the device thoroughly. I used to audit an organization that made drug dispensing devices used in hospitals. From time to time, they would receive a device for servicing that, despite having been "certified cleaned" by the hospital, when they started disassembling the unit, they would find controlled substances inside. Sometimes even the DEA would have to get involved.

Not always customers are right; sometimes they can not be trusted to what they certify. Be aware because, as Scott mentioned, your workforce health and safety is very important.

Last edited:

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Scott gave you excellent advice. I would, however, make one point. DO NOT trust any paperwork blindly, such as a certificate of decontamination, to lower your guards.

Sometimes, certificates are not worth the paper they are written on. Make sure your workforce still take precautions and examine the device thoroughly. I used to audit an organization that made drug dispensing devices used in hospitals. From time to time, they would receive a device for servicing that, despite having been "certified cleaned" by the hospital, when they started disassembling the unit, they would find controlled substances inside. Sometimes even the DEA would have to get involved.

Not always customers are right; sometimes they can not be trusted to what they certify. Be aware because, as Scott mentioned, your workforce health and safety is very important.
True - In our procedure we require the wearing of nitrile gloves when opening any return.

I learned this the hard way in a prior job where we got back some parts with what looked like dried blood. We sent the person that handled the parts to the Dr for bloodborne pathogen testing (all was clear) and added the glove requirement. Been carrying that with me to every job since.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Hospital Decontamination and the MDR - Technical Files, UDI and PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Decontamination of Site returned Material ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Decontamination Label on Unit Packages per UL (Underwriters Laboratories) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Decontamination of "Used" Complaint Product & Disposal of Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
sardonyx Decontamination of Customer Returned Product - Seeking sample procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
V UDI - OEM or OBL / Legal Manufacturer Responsibility CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
T ISO 13485 - 5.5.1 Responsibility and authority - Small Company Independence ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
D DHF Responsibility after design handover Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
L Global distributor vigilance responsibility Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 14
S Responsibility of intercessor services provider about services's quality ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Main responsibility for Control Plans - creating and maintaining FMEA and Control Plans 13
M EU MDR - UDI requirements and responsibility guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Mr Skeleton PV (Production Validation) test plan responsibility APQP and PPAP 21
Shawn Mosby DFMEA when the supplier doesn't have design responsibility APQP and PPAP 14
W Organizational Responsibility for Environmental Compliance of Products REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
T Design responsibility for customized product per customer requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
lyobovnik Matters being audited, independence, participation and direct responsibility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
P Responsibility for Design Transfer - OEM vs. CM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Where does our regulatory responsibility end? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Contract Packager or Repackager? And can client assume responsibility? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
Q U.S. Agents - Responsibility for reporting adverse events to the FDA Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
Fender1 Customer specified Item Defect Corrective Action Responsibility Customer Complaints 18
G FAI (First Article Inspection) Responsibility - QC or Engineering? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Manufacturer's responsibility to notify the NB regarding Medical Device End-of-Life CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
sutie What is Ethics Escalation (“Whistle-Blowing”) Policy - Corporate Responsibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Leadership Responsibility in an ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
W Shared Responsibility Between Spec Provider and Contract Manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
L What is the difference between Objectives and Responsibility ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Responsibility for Labeling in Multi-Location Group Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
JoCam ATEX - Responsibility for a Declaration of Conformity Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
E Manufacturer Responsibility (vs. User/Customer) for Preventive Maintenance/Repair 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Specification Verification Responsibility AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
V VAG Customer Specific Requirements - Product Safety Responsibility Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
G Application of RASI (Responsibility, Authority, Support, Information) Chart IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
K Hardware and OS Responsibility in FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
Kronos147 Customer Request for Corrective Action - Responsibility AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Whose responsibility is it to issue Corrective Action Requests? Internal Auditing 8
D Requirements & Responsibility regarding Fire Foam in an Office Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
O Vendor (Supplier) Responsibility - Re: Quality Audits 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Does "Responsibility" need to be mentioned in the Corrective Actions ? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 22
M What is our level of responsibility in the IQ, OQ, PQ processes? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Q How to meet Responsibility and Authority (Clause 5.5.1) Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
E Aging/Shelf-Life Testing Responsibility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
H Definition Executive Responsibility - Legal Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 11
E Post Machining Casting Defects with MIL-STD-2175 Requirements - Responsibility Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
SATHYABALARAMAN Responsibility, Authority & Accountability of Customer Representative - TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Q Responsibility vs. No Authority in 9001:2008? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
D Responsibility of Distributor for Customer Complaints - How should we handle this Customer Complaints 5
Roberticus Responsibility for Outsourced Process, ALL in-house Mfg/QC done (prior FG PN) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5