Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Defining a Quality System from scratch - Preferred system and documentation names

Hi There,

I have the exciting task of defining a Quality System from scratch for a new business. When someone gives you a blank sheet, you can start questioning even the simple things, such as what to call things. I know some people will have a preference. Some will even argue that they have slightly different meanings. I think the bottom line is that they have come to be accepted as the same thing over the years. Sometimes it's driven by the industry you are in and sometimes just your background and what you're used to. So, here's a light one for a Friday - you decide...….

1. When you change a document, is it Revision, Issue or Version?
2. When you issue a document, is it Live or Released?
3. Deviation, Concession or Waiver?

(I won't even go near the Procedure/ SOP/ Work instruction discussion, as that has been covered in many threads already)

Randy

Super Moderator
1. What do you call everything now?

2. Documents can be whatever when released.

3. Nobody cares, it's not their business, it's up to you.

Whatever you do just do it consistently, make sure everyone involves understands it and then take a lunch break.

Hi There,

I have the exciting task of defining a Quality System from scratch for a new business. When someone gives you a blank sheet, you can start questioning even the simple things, such as what to call things. I know some people will have a preference. Some will even argue that they have slightly different meanings. I think the bottom line is that they have come to be accepted as the same thing over the years. Sometimes it's driven by the industry you are in and sometimes just your background and what you're used to. So, here's a light one for a Friday - you decide...….

(I won't even go near the Procedure/ SOP/ Work instruction discussion, as that has been covered in many threads already)
Preferably use what is in the standard for terms, 1 revision, 2 released, 3 Deviation and Concession, both term exist in 9001 but not Waiver.
For numbering, there are many methods, I have been using this in the last 5 years, hope is useful
Pro for procedure, for is a document for records, wi for work instruction, va for visual aid. acronym for process, sal for sales, eng for engineering and so on.
And general consecutive, lastly it would be like this:
Pro-eng-001, for-sal-002, wi-hr-003, this way when browsing into your system, easily you can find a document for any process.
Hope is useful

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
You are in the "Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms" forum. Because there are so many ways to design a document control system, I suggest you read through some of the existing discussions. That will show you potential models which will give you ideas for "your" system.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Ask your customers as users of their business management system what they prefer.

Note that quality is delivered by the business management system not by a bolt-on set of documents written to conform to a standard.

You’ll need to continue close collaboration with top management and your colleagues as you develop their management system so they respect it, use it and improve it.

Top Bottom