Defining Customer Property - Specifications, templates, patterns from customers

K

kglennie - 2003

I have a question regarding customer property. I currently work for a foam manufacturer. They receive specifications from customers regarding the sizes and patterns needed for fabrication of those products. In our initial audit, we used customer property as an exclusion. However now it is said that it could possibly fall under this requirement. Can you give me your opinion? The customer does not want the patterns back, we use them as a template and once worn out we request new one....how do I deal with this requirement if it is customer property?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jimmy Olson

Hello and welcome to the cove :bigwave:

If the procedure is to request a new one from the customer once it is worn, that could be the basis for your customer property policy. The templates should be controlled anyway since that is what you are building to.

You might work with the customer to develop something or have them review your policy. It could be as simple as you recieve property from the customer at which time you become responsible for it. Once it is worn you should have some sort of procedure for disposing of it and specify that the customer is notified through a request for a new one.

You can work in a few more details, but hopefully this gives you a starting point

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Typically items such as prints, which in your case I would equate to "sizes and patterns needed for fabrication", are considered customer property. I would want evidence otherwise (such as a written agreement) to agree you could exclude them.

That is - unless ownership of patterns and such is defined differently as an 'industrty standard' . Not working in the specific industry so I have to 'cage' my response.

Just ask 1 question: Can I give this to someone or some company without consent of my customer? If not, your customer probably owns them.

J

JaySturgeon

Customer Property

I agree with Marc:
"Just ask 1 question: Can I give this to someone or some company without consent of my customer? If not, your customer probably owns them."

That is the criteria I have always used to define customer owned property.

Jay

R

Randy Stewart

Fwiw

Here's my spin on this:
If the patterns are not returned to the customer (disposable item) their cost is rolled into the piece price (the customer isn't making them for free), therefore you have bought them and they are your property. I agree that there needs to be some type of control over them, if this was something I had to set up I would have it in my inventory as disposable tooling.
Now this all depends on what your deliverables are. What I have seen with foam patterns is that they are a guide, a reference, only.
They serve a function similar to a NC Mill cutter, a cut off tool, etc. While they have a say in the final product, they are the tool that makes the final product.
Just an idea.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
kglennie said:
I have a question regarding customer property. I currently work for a foam manufacturer. They receive specifications from customers regarding the sizes and patterns needed for fabrication of those products. In our initial audit, we used customer property as an exclusion. However now it is said that it could possibly fall under this requirement. Can you give me your opinion? The customer does not want the patterns back, we use them as a template and once worn out we request new one....how do I deal with this requirement if it is customer property?

Thanks
This is the Cusomer's property. They also need control since they are your specifications. Like a sample. Based on the info read from your post.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Marc said:
Typically items such as prints, which in your case I would equate to "sizes and patterns needed for fabrication", are considered customer property. I would want evidence otherwise (such as a written agreement) to agree you could exclude them.

That is - unless ownership of patterns and such is defined differently as an 'industrty standard' . Not working in the specific industry so I have to 'cage' my response.

Just ask 1 question: Can I give this to someone or some company without consent of my customer? If not, your customer probably owns them.
Interesting. I never considered drawings/spec. sheets, etc. from a customer under the aegis of "customer supplied property", I only controlled it under doc. control. My customer supplied property procedure only addresses raw materials, tooling, test fixtures, etc. but does not mention documentation. Since I can put a customer drawing on a copy machine and make 50 copies of it in a few seconds, it seems uniquely different than other types of customer property. But maybe I need to rethink this.

How many other folks out there address customer drawings/spec's. etc. (paper or electronic files) under the aegis of customer supplied property?

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Mike S. said:
Interesting. I never considered drawings/spec. sheets, etc. from a customer under the aegis of "customer supplied property", I only controlled it under doc. control. My customer supplied property procedure only addresses raw materials, tooling, test fixtures, etc. but does not mention documentation. Since I can put a customer drawing on a copy machine and make 50 copies of it in a few seconds, it seems uniquely different than other types of customer property. But maybe I need to rethink this.

How many other folks out there address customer drawings/spec's. etc. (paper or electronic files) under the aegis of customer supplied property?
Take a look at the note under 7.5.4

Hi KGLennie: Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

gpainter said:
gpainter is right. The note says it all: As a matter of fact, we have a procedure about how to handle business secrets = Intellectual property.

Our customers would most certainly not be happy if we showed their specs to their competitors. Thus, what the procedure is saying is quite basically: Information about a customer concerns only the customer and ourselves. It is simply a matter of confidence.

/Claes

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
gpainter said:
Yeah, I saw that note. But CAN is the operative word IMO, it does not say SHALL.

Under 4.2.3 (f) if I control the distribution of customer drawings/spec's. as required by the customer or, in the event they don't say anything, according to my internal policy, I figure I'd not need to mention it under 7.5.4. In my industry, even doing work for the DOD and defense contractors, I never had a customer demand that I not copy their drawing or that it remain locked-up, only that I not disclose it to outside parties as per a standard NDA. So, we just made sure we did not have them laying out if a visitor was in the plant.

Are y'all saying that I MUST address customer spec's/drawings (paper or electronic) under 7.5.4?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Defining the scope for ISO 9001 Registration - Software, Hardware and Customer Care ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Help defining Eyewear Customer Complaint Categories Customer Complaints 5
L Customer requirement to create a Guide for defining Control Methods FMEA and Control Plans 9
lilybef Defining Customer Requirements - Document that addresses customer requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Defining Customer Representative Responsibility and Authority IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
G Defining Process Changes and Customer Notification Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 33
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Defining sampling plan for different AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
M Defining frequency of measurement tools callibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
M Defining and Documenting Record Retention CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
G Defining performance metrics for DFMA implementation Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
S Defining a Quality System from scratch - Preferred system and documentation names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
A Defining Expected Service Life in Risk Management File Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
C Defining Approvals Required for Design Control Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
khotchandrakant Defining Acceptance Quality Level, I need clarity on AQL 1.5, 2.5, 4.0 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
M Defining the lifetime of orthopedic implants joints Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
C AS9100 rev D 8.5.1 c 2 - Defining the Machine in-process frequency per ANSI/ASQ Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
V Defining Safety Precautions for Category 4,5 Molecules Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
E European Regulations defining the terms Repair and Refurbish EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T Defining Major vs. Minor Changes to Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
GStough Adequately Defining Which Suppliers to Audit and Frequency Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
E Quality Techucuan (Technician) in Electronics - Defining Postion Requirements Career and Occupation Discussions 4
moritz Defining a good Scope for Critical SOPs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
T Standards for defining audible alarms/warnings for OR instruments IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Defining Critical Vs. Non-Critical Suppliers/Service Providers (API Q1, 9th. Ed.) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
B IEC 60601-2-24 - Defining Storage Volume IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Defining Sub-Disciplines for Chemical Testing Laboratory Employee Proficiency Testing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Defining Nonconformances in a Service Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Defining Reliability and Confidence Levels Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
J Defining Martial Arts and Gymnastics Statistical Techniques Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V Defining the criteria for equipment to be qualified or requalified Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
R Need help on defining scope for Design Verification File for Class III IVD 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J Defining CCP (Critical Control Points) in a Rice Mill Plant Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 9
S Process Map and defining KPIs Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
5 Major Nonconformance for not "clearly" defining the "device lifetime" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
E Defining the lifetime of an Implantable Medical Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
B Defining Expected Oxygen Leakage for Safety Testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
G Defining Post Mold Cure Ramp-Down Temperature Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K Audit Nonconformity on Defining 'Outsourced' Infrastructure Maintenance Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 21
G Points to consider while defining the Quality Policy AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
G Defining Quality Objectives for Product Realization and Design and Development AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S Developing Documentation and Defining Processes as Subcontractor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C Defining ISO 9001:2008 Scope for a Sterilization Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Defining Skilled vs. Semi-Skilled vs. Unskilled Labor Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Product Specification vs. Information Defining Product - The differences? 7.3.3.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R Defining Interaction of Processes in a Software Company Software Quality Assurance 3
N Where to begin defining and monitoring Quality Metrics in a Machine Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
A Testing Process Audit - Defining a Process Compliance Mechanism Software Quality Assurance 2
R Defining the type of Applied Part - Metal Probe (Applied Part) employs Water Cooling IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
N Defining Security Interfaces for Scope for ISMS - Need help IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 10