Defining Design and Development - Is there a difference between the two?

S

sneekparty

Design and development

Hello everybody,

I have a question for you all...during a discussion (yes again) with one of our engineers he told me that he didn't understand why there was made a difference between design and development...

Because in his opinion and mine too (at least it is for now)..is that design is a part of development...to his opinion design is the product a customer wants on a piece of paper...and development is the execution of that piece of paper..or otherwise making the product feasible...

I wondered if anyone has an other opinion on this matter...

Cya,
Martin

R

Russ Kochis

Martin,
I agree that the line separating design and development is very thin and I also agree with you definitions. In our company, we do some total design and development and some reverse engineering. The methodology used for reverse engineering is considerably different than that used for total D&D. Within our procedures we define the reverse engineering as “development”. Of course, the planning, review, verification and validation for the development process is different that that for the D&D.
If your company does only total D&D, then they may be inseparable. I would encourage you to look at how new products are done and see if development alone can be applied to any of them.
I hope this explains some of the difference.
Russ

Top Bottom