SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Defining Quality Assurance's Role in R&D (Product and Process Development)

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
I would expect that QA to play the role of harmonizing/integrating the "standards/requirements & learnings" into SOPs and monitoring the compliance.
while doing so, there is a tug of war of simplifying the documentation&processes as per the relevance to R&D.
That is fine....the clarity would evolve in due course, as per the experience/maturity of processes & people...

But real question is, to what extend does QA gets involved in development processes.
1) i am just trying to find equivalent activities of mfg.QA vs dev.QA
viz., what is equivalent of process control (is it dev.control through processes like FMEA)
what is equivalent of batch release (is it design/product.release through certain development reports)
of course, audits, document-control etc., would be same.

AND
2) to what extend does QA has say/influence in risks taken at different stages of development.
This is of significance because, often the assumptions made at later stage are complicating certain basic errors/gaps induced into design/product affecting robustness of mfg.process

thanks for your thoughts.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I would expect that QA to play the role of harmonizing/integrating the "standards/requirements & learnings" into SOPs and monitoring the compliance.
while doing so, there is a tug of war of simplifying the documentation&processes as per the relevance to R&D.
That is fine....the clarity would evolve in due course, as per the experience/maturity of processes & people...

But real question is, to what extend does QA gets involved in development processes.
viz., what is equivalent of process control (is it dev.control through processes like FMEA)
what is equivalent of batch release (is it design/product.release through certain development reports)

AND
2) to what extend does QA has say/influence in risks taken at different stages of development.
This is of significance because, often the assumptions made at later stage are complicating certain basic errors/gaps induced into design/product affecting robustness of mfg.process

Hi,

I guess some parts of your concerns are generic to most regulated industries, however, every specific industry has it's own little practices, conventions and highlights. I'm not sure what industry you come from; I will try to answer from a medical devices perspective, as I have intimate knowledge of R&D processes in this industry (and also a broader perspective as a QA/RA professional in it).

In my opinion, QA'a role in R&D resembles its role in manufacturing, though it's not exactly the same.

I'd say the equivalent of process control is design control (risk management, of which FMEA could be a part, is an important part of design control processes, though it shouldn't be unique to the R&D stage). This is a very broad and general statement.

The equivalent of batch release comprises several types of design-control-related activities, in my opinion. It may include formal design reviews at critical milestones; design verification; various validation activities and finally the design transfer process. All of these are expected to be formal & controlled processes, documented in formally approved reports and other design output documents, that eventually lead to a "release" of a design to production (analogous to a batch being released for sale).

As a general statement, I think that QA staff should not act as process rangers in the R&D domain, but rather focus on "educating" R&D staff about design control best practices, and the importance / significance of doing it right. Educated R&D personnel that really care about quality (and from my experience - most of them do) can become the best R&D QA personnel.

To address the explicit concern about identifying risks upstream - I think it's a true concern, and there are at least 3 important issues in handling it well:
1. Make R&D people very aware of their power (for better or for worse) in that sense;
2. Make sure a comprehensive & thorough risk management process is established and properly implemented from the earliest stages of R&D (I think this is an important role for the QA member in the R&D team); and
3. Get all downstream stakeholders - manufacturing, logistics, purchasing, marketing, customer support, service etc. - involved in that process together with R&D staff FROM THE VERY BEGINNING.

Cheers,
Ronen.

michellemmm

Quest For Quality

AND

I am not sure if you are dealing with hardware or software... In any case, QA 's role is:

1- To assure developers/designers/ Configuration managers are doing the "right" things.
2- They are doing it right (per plan and standards).

The rest is up to your organization.

I am attaching a QA process map that I constructed recently that shows QA role throughout software lifecycle. This map does not list the tools (FMEA, CP, etc...) Depending on the complexity of the program, you can select one.

Attachments

A

Al Dyer

v9991,

I've started 3 responses to your post and deleted them all to come up with this:

What exactly is the defined role of QA in your organization? Departments do what they are told to do by management.

Great question that needs some input!

Al...

v9991

v9991,

I've started 3 responses to your post and deleted them all to come up with this:

What exactly is the defined role of QA in your organization? Departments do what they are told to do by management.

Great question that needs some input!

Al...
With specific reference to R&D, QA is taking charge of
* compliance to development development protocol, (SOP + checklistssS)
* setting the specification,
* releasing the product to manufacturing;
Of course this is all in addition to the common aspects such as training, audits, documentation control, change control, qualifications etc.,

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
With specific reference to R&D, QA is taking charge of
* compliance to development development protocol, (SOP + checklistssS)
* setting the specification,
* releasing the product to manufacturing;
Of course this is all in addition to the common aspects such as training, audits, documentation control, change control, qualifications etc.,
Hi,

Sounds like QA in your organisation is the "local police force" and the source of all knowledge...:lol:

I've seen that approach in action in many organisations, and in my opinion it is detrimental to R&D staff's self-perception, quality attitude and performance.

Why not give them more autonomy and responsibility, and leave QA with oversight / auditing, to ensure compliance?

I believe R&D and marketing are best positioned to set specifications, while QA supervise and provide the final formal authorization. The same would apply for product release - R&D should do all the groundwork up to the point where they think all requirements have been met; then QA can verify and formally sign-off. Of course real-time monitoring is always recommended, to avoid surprises later, but I honestly believe this should come as objective feedback rather than ongoing "law enforcement".

I also believe functions such as training, document control, change control and qualifications (in R&D domain) can, and actually better, be carried out by R&D personnel, with QA's necessary formal oversight (authorization etc.) and objective feedback, in cases where processes go off-tracks. It would help build a sense of ownership and caring in R&D, while the core-knowledge is there anyway.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Last edited:

v9991

Hi,
Sounds like QA in your organisation is the "local police force" and the source of all knowledge...:lol:
I almost agree with that...it is an interesting perception there..... for a moment lets imaging that its true...
Could you throw some practical/measurable/implementable thoughts to change that perception.!

In real world out-there, need to acknowledge that R&D (like manufacturing) is always in a rush to get the product to shop floor. (also need to understand the complexity of long product transfer life cycles..) Also remember that in real world, there very few R&D personnel who care for system/processes.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I almost agree with that...it is an interesting perception there..... for a moment lets imaging that its true...
Could you throw some practical/measurable/implementable thoughts to change that perception.!

In real world out-there, need to acknowledge that R&D (like manufacturing) is always in a rush to get the product to shop floor. (also need to understand the complexity of long product transfer life cycles..) Also remember that in real world, there very few R&D personnel who care for system/processes.
Dear friend,

My thoughts are actually based on living and working "out there", "in the real world", both in R&D and in QA/RA capacities. I am very aware of the above notions, yet I know (from experience) it can be done differently. If you accept your current reality as a given you'll find it very hard to improve :(

Regarding changing perceptions / organisation mindsets / cultures - I'm no expert on that so I can't really give you any hard & fast tools that will show quick results; however, I noticed that some guys with such expertise attend the forums, so hopefully one of them will join the discussion with some insights... In my own capacity I would just back off a little (as QA) and see how R&D react. You might be surprised. I respectfully disagree with you that R&D personnel who care for system/processes are very few (in general), and if that's the case in your setting maybe that's part of the problem to begin with. At least in medical devices, the right QS background and approach are essential prerequisites for any decent R&D guy.

Regarding the pressure to show quick results - I wasn't comparing between a state of compliance and a state of being out-of-compliance. Even if we assume that working out of compliance yields faster results (which is debatable either way), that wasn't my point. I was merely comparing a situation were compliance is achieved by QA-policing, vs. letting R&D be big boys with just the necessary top-level monitoring by QA.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Defining a Quality System from scratch - Preferred system and documentation names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
K Defining Acceptance Quality Level, I need clarity on AQL 1.5, 2.5, 4.0 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
E Quality Techucuan (Technician) in Electronics - Defining Postion Requirements Career and Occupation Discussions 4
G Points to consider while defining the Quality Policy AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
G Defining Quality Objectives for Product Realization and Design and Development AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
N Where to begin defining and monitoring Quality Metrics in a Machine Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
G Quality Objectives - Where to start defining Quality Objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
F Re-Defining Quality Contest - Thinking Outside of the QC Glossary Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
R Defining Department wise Quality Objectives in terms of Effectiveness and Efficiency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T Help needed for defining quality measurements for our quality report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
T Defining Quality Objectives for a Scaffolding Service company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N Defining and Setting Quality Objectives for Each Organization Function and Level ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Marc Cost Of Quality (COQ) Software - Defining "cost of quality" Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
K Defining risk control measures IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 14
A Defining a lower ESD test level in IEC 60601 safety test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
J Defining staff competence - Small mechanical workshop Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 20
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Defining sampling plan for different AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
M Defining frequency of measurement tools callibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
M Defining and Documenting Record Retention CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
G Defining performance metrics for DFMA implementation Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
A Defining Expected Service Life in Risk Management File Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
C Defining Approvals Required for Design Control Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Defining the lifetime of orthopedic implants joints Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
C AS9100 rev D 8.5.1 c 2 - Defining the Machine in-process frequency per ANSI/ASQ Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
V Defining Safety Precautions for Category 4,5 Molecules Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
E European Regulations defining the terms Repair and Refurbish EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T Defining Major vs. Minor Changes to Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
GStough Adequately Defining Which Suppliers to Audit and Frequency Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
moritz Defining a good Scope for Critical SOPs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
T Standards for defining audible alarms/warnings for OR instruments IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Defining Critical Vs. Non-Critical Suppliers/Service Providers (API Q1, 9th. Ed.) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
B IEC 60601-2-24 - Defining Storage Volume IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Defining Sub-Disciplines for Chemical Testing Laboratory Employee Proficiency Testing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Defining Nonconformances in a Service Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Defining Reliability and Confidence Levels Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 8
J Defining Martial Arts and Gymnastics Statistical Techniques Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V Defining the criteria for equipment to be qualified or requalified Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
R Need help on defining scope for Design Verification File for Class III IVD 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J Defining CCP (Critical Control Points) in a Rice Mill Plant Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 9
S Process Map and defining KPIs Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
5 Major Nonconformance for not "clearly" defining the "device lifetime" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
E Defining the lifetime of an Implantable Medical Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
B Defining Expected Oxygen Leakage for Safety Testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
G Defining Post Mold Cure Ramp-Down Temperature Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K Audit Nonconformity on Defining 'Outsourced' Infrastructure Maintenance Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 21
S Developing Documentation and Defining Processes as Subcontractor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C Defining ISO 9001:2008 Scope for a Sterilization Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Defining Skilled vs. Semi-Skilled vs. Unskilled Labor Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I Defining the scope for ISO 9001 Registration - Software, Hardware and Customer Care ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3