Defining sampling plan for different AQL

Hello Everyone !

First post here after > 7 yrs reading the forum :)
I don't think my question was previously answered and it is in relation with the ISO 2859-1 Standard.

My problem is the following :
I want to inspect a batch of plastic part for cosmetic defects, some are judged major with an AQL set to 1.0% and some are judged minor with an AQL set to 4.0%. I inspect per general level I (the inspection is long and tedious and for cosmetic aspect I don't think it is worth using II level) and my batch is 500 pieces. According to the ISO standard I have a sampling size code F (20 parts)
If I want to inspect the major defects for the AQL 1.0% I need to switch and use sampling size E (13parts).
BUT (and here is my problem) :
What should I use for the inspection of the minor defect : Is it fine to stay with a E sampling ?
Practically this makes sense but does it work with the thoery ? The good aspect of staying with the E samling is that I do not have to ask my operator to perform another sampling + there is a risk to find major defect in the new sampling. In addition this raises questions as to how to do this new sampling : should I take a complete new sample ? or should I just pick 7 additional parts ?

Could you please advise ?
thanks !!
Robin

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
"If this procedure leads to different sample sizes for different classes of nonconformities or nonconforming items, the sample size code letter corresponding to the largest sample size derived may be used for all classes of nonconformities or nonconforming items, when designated or approved by the responsible authority."

I take this to mean that you should use the sample size of 20 (Code F) for both inspections.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Is there a Standard defining what a valid sampling plan is? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M Defining frequency of measurement tools callibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
M Defining and Documenting Record Retention CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
G Defining performance metrics for DFMA implementation Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
S Defining a Quality System from scratch - Preferred system and documentation names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
A Defining Expected Service Life in Risk Management File Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
C Defining Approvals Required for Design Control Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
khotchandrakant Defining Acceptance Quality Level, I need clarity on AQL 1.5, 2.5, 4.0 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
M Defining the lifetime of orthopedic implants joints Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
C AS9100 rev D 8.5.1 c 2 - Defining the Machine in-process frequency per ANSI/ASQ Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
V Defining Safety Precautions for Category 4,5 Molecules Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
E European Regulations defining the terms Repair and Refurbish EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T Defining Major vs. Minor Changes to Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
GStough Adequately Defining Which Suppliers to Audit and Frequency Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
E Quality Techucuan (Technician) in Electronics - Defining Postion Requirements Career and Occupation Discussions 4
moritz Defining a good Scope for Critical SOPs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
T Standards for defining audible alarms/warnings for OR instruments IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Defining Critical Vs. Non-Critical Suppliers/Service Providers (API Q1, 9th. Ed.) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
B IEC 60601-2-24 - Defining Storage Volume IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Defining Sub-Disciplines for Chemical Testing Laboratory Employee Proficiency Testing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Defining Nonconformances in a Service Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Defining Reliability and Confidence Levels Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
J Defining Martial Arts and Gymnastics Statistical Techniques Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V Defining the criteria for equipment to be qualified or requalified Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
R Need help on defining scope for Design Verification File for Class III IVD 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J Defining CCP (Critical Control Points) in a Rice Mill Plant Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 9
S Process Map and defining KPIs Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
5 Major Nonconformance for not "clearly" defining the "device lifetime" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
E Defining the lifetime of an Implantable Medical Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
B Defining Expected Oxygen Leakage for Safety Testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
G Defining Post Mold Cure Ramp-Down Temperature Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K Audit Nonconformity on Defining 'Outsourced' Infrastructure Maintenance Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 21
G Points to consider while defining the Quality Policy AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
G Defining Quality Objectives for Product Realization and Design and Development AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
S Developing Documentation and Defining Processes as Subcontractor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C Defining ISO 9001:2008 Scope for a Sterilization Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Defining Skilled vs. Semi-Skilled vs. Unskilled Labor Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I Defining the scope for ISO 9001 Registration - Software, Hardware and Customer Care ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Product Specification vs. Information Defining Product - The differences? 7.3.3.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R Defining Interaction of Processes in a Software Company Software Quality Assurance 3
N Where to begin defining and monitoring Quality Metrics in a Machine Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
A Testing Process Audit - Defining a Process Compliance Mechanism Software Quality Assurance 2
R Defining the type of Applied Part - Metal Probe (Applied Part) employs Water Cooling IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
N Defining Security Interfaces for Scope for ISMS - Need help IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 10
A Defining the differences between Prototype vs. Production Guidelines? Contract Review Process 5
R Help defining Eyewear Customer Complaint Categories Customer Complaints 5
G Quality Objectives - Where to start defining Quality Objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Criteria for defining FMEA & Control Plan Critical and Significant Characteristics FMEA and Control Plans 10
V Defining Policies and Standards for In-License of Products US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Defining Yield Rate Targets for different Manufacturing Processes APQP and PPAP 2